Game Day Saturday, March 25 - R1 v Essendon @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

.... having the two trumpeteers either side of the target, blowing their ditties was a nice piece of fun and atmosphere .....
Daughters recognised one from music tutorials. Pity they couldn't have played the club song when they got to the cheer squad end. But they did stir up the Essendon fans!

Speaking of cheer squad, I noticed the lack of one. They on strike? Behind the goals it was mostly empty?
Who the * knows. Our cheersquad has been putrid for years. To those who are there: thank you and well done. But having 3 people waving flags isn't really a cheer squad.

The club really needs to do something about it.

Gold Coast
Disposals: 428
Contested possessions: 152
Uncontested possessions: 279
Clearances: 37
Inside 50s: 66
Disposal efficiency: 72.7%

Essendon
Disposals: 383
Contested possessions: 125
Uncontested possessions: 263
Clearances: 25
Inside 50s: 40
Disposal efficiency: 74.9

These stats show pretty comprehensively that the Suns dominated with the ball in every way but weren't as efficient as you'd like. The positive is a 61-point victory but it could have been an even bigger win if they were more clean with their disposals. A veteran defender like Malceski only sitting on 52% disposal efficiency with 19 disposals doesn't help.

The Suns were ranked 18th for average disposals in 2015. Now they are tied 4th overall with two games to go in round 1.

image.jpeg

One of the most underrated stats for me was that we dominated the fwd defensive pressure. We regularly caused turn overs inside our fwd 50. The Bombers were the opposite and let us utilise our fast running out of defense far too easily.

That is a great result from our forwards.

Who the **** knows. Our cheersquad has been putrid for years. To those who are there: thank you and well done. But having 3 people waving flags isn't really a cheer squad.

The club really needs to do something about it.
I thought there were a couple games last year where they looked good. But it needs to be more appealing

Not keen to scour your whole game thread - just hoping for an update on Matty Rosa?

10 year player for WCE, so keen to see him do well for The Suns.

How are you liking him thus far?
Was easily in our top 5 on ground on Saturday. Great level headed mature player filling a void on the wing that we needed drastically.

109 fantasy points, 32 disposals, 81% disposal efficiency, and 8 score involvements.

Very impressed.

Was easily in our top 5 on ground on Saturday. Great level headed mature player filling a void on the wing that we needed drastically.

109 fantasy points, 32 disposals, 81% disposal efficiency, and 8 score involvements.

Very impressed.

Good to hear. The guy is a pro and I was sad to lose him. He'd been squeezed to the fringes at WCE but still has a lot of great footy in him.

... having 3 people waving flags isn't really a cheer squad ... The club really needs to do something about it.

The club designated the front two rows in the bay as 'reserved'. That forced everybody to sit further back. There was a nice bloke called Kevin organising the day but he had never done it before. Said he was part of a community group organised by the club to co-ordinate the experience. Nice bloke, with a willing team of his own helpers.

Apparently another group gets the gig next time ... And so on ...

Did anyone notice the new banner? No more crepe paper - it's a red PVC material - a lot heavier - could be a handful on a windy and/or wet afternoon.

[I was one of the three flag wavers].

The club designated the front two rows in the bay as 'reserved'. That forced everybody to sit further back. There was a nice bloke called Kevin organising the day but he had never done it before. Said he was part of a community group organised by the club to co-ordinate the experience. Nice bloke, with a willing team of his own helpers.

Apparently another group gets the gig next time ... And so on ...

Did anyone notice the new banner? No more crepe paper - it's a red PVC material - a lot heavier - could be a handful on a windy and/or wet afternoon.

[I was one of the three flag wavers].
Have you been in the cheer squad for long? What's the issue causing so many people to leave?

I swear 3 years ago the place was full, yet now there's hardly anybody. Is it a member issue or a club issue or both?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

do you know why the front two rows are reserved?
From what I understood they were trying to make it so not the same group were front every time, so they hand out tickets for the front row.. They gave them to me and my wife last time we made it to metricon. Won't be sitting with the cheer squad again.. Will head up to target man's end.

Have you been in the cheer squad for long?
Three years in the cheer squad, with daughters. I don't make comment on anything other than positive club stuff.

[I do remember having a beer (or 3) at the Lord Jim Hotel in the Fitzroy era with Scotty Clayton and Matt Rendell behind the bar. On Melbourne Cup day all the fancy ladies arrived considerably worse for wear but looking to party! Those were the days.]

Three years in the cheer squad, with daughters. I don't make comment on anything other than positive club stuff.

[I do remember having a beer (or 3) at the Lord Jim Hotel in the Fitzroy era with Scotty Clayton and Matt Rendell behind the bar. On Melbourne Cup day all the fancy ladies arrived considerably worse for wear but looking to party! Those were the days.]

If I could double like I would

fun fun fun. its always hard to start a chant until you have support. we got it up there til some young dude (who sounded like a seagull fighting over a chip with a collingwood supporter) started saying suck after the GOLD COAST... BANG BANG BANG (CHANT). any how. it is the best place to be to enjoy the game................................BAY 147.................................

fun fun fun. its always hard to start a chant until you have support. we got it up there til some young dude (who sounded like a seagull fighting over a chip with a collingwood supporter) started saying suck after the GOLD COAST... BANG BANG BANG (CHANT). any how. it is the best place to be to enjoy the game................................BAY 147.................................
Good stuff mate. Love your work :thumbsu:

It's kind of funny that the river end/Bay 147 has almost turned into a renegade area for supporters who aren't happy with the southern end/official cheer squad area.

Hello to everyone.
Have posted on and off over the years.
Haven't really followed the pre season this year and just watched the replay to saturdays game this afternoon. I like to think I know football well but may need to get up to speed on this seasons trends.

My observations
- Forward set up looks decent. Lynch + Day/Wright, Martin, Touk, Ah Chee I'm happy with. Seems a few different ways to kick a goal with that lot.
- Rosa definitely added some assurance in the midfield.
- Rischitelli had a great game. Racked up the possessions in previous years but never really felt like he did much with them. I thought he impacted the game in positive way and was my second best on the night behind Gary.
- Davis - did some nice things - what is his role though? Mid sized half forward?
- Malceski... didn't really see the good things a few people mentioned. The goal and spot of of Martin in the forward 50 was nice...but other than that he was garbage. Got caught with the ball a lot. Just seems slow, and weak, gets buffeted off it a lot. I don't like how he sucks, and how much were paying him to suck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back