Science/Environment Sausages and bacon - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

I have an increased risk of bowel cancer so when I'm done bulking in a few weeks I'll ditch the red meats (I eat it every day since I need the protein) and probably only eat them occasionally. It'll be mostly Salmon. If I was older I probably wouldn't eat as much as I do.

Cod?

Not sure there's too much that's surprising in this WHO report.

For as long as I can remember sausages have been referred to as mystery bags.;)

A measured response from the Cancer Council.

wsn1wn.jpg

I can only speak for myself - it is unethical in my view because humans do not need to eat animals - and cause their suffering - to survive.

i admit im not up on all the digestive facts across every species, but surely we could identify other animals that don't have to eat meat to survive, but would choose a delicious rump over a salad if given the choice?

my view is that we're either a) just another animal so eating animals is no different to what happens in nature (we're just a lot better at it) or b) we're a special type of animal due to our rationality, which means we're better than the rest of the animals so we can eat them due to their inferiority and delicious taste.

I have been a vegetarian for twenty years - I find it mystifying why meat-eaters hate people who have made a personal choice for ethical reasons.

I find it mystifying that so many vegans and vegetarians have developed that much of a messiah complex they think the world hates them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in their defence, we do think they're sanctimonious twats.
Anecdotally speaking, I've always found vegans feel the need to push their agenda on people more than omnivores.

It's annoying. I don't find it necessary to lecture or even question vegans, yet I've been subject to so many annoying rants about a ridiculous amount of cherry-picked and unfounded science that these people don't even understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anecdotally speaking, I've always found vegans feel the need to push their agenda on people more than omnivores.

It's annoying. I don't find it necessary to lecture or even question vegans, yet I've been subject to so many annoying rants about a ridiculous amount of cherry-picked and unfounded science that these people don't even understand.

atheists, enthused christians, vegans/vegetarians, runners: i understand said labels are important to your identity (and there's nothing wrong with that), but let's have a discussion outside your favourite isms. hell, im sure im just as bad with hawthorn lol (and used to be re atheism) but there's a lot of truth to your anecdote.

Not sure there's too much that's surprising in this WHO report.

For as long as I can remember sausages have been referred to as mystery bags.;)

A measured response from the Cancer Council.

wsn1wn.jpg

Maybe the stress of worrying what are the latest guidelines from health professionals can do as much damage as what we eat? For many years cholesterol was regarded as a killer then in December 2014 the committee for Dietary Guidelines for Americans said 'Cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption'

atheists, enthused christians, vegans/vegetarians, runners: i understand said labels are important to your identity (and there's nothing wrong with that), but let's have a discussion outside your favourite isms. hell, im sure im just as bad with hawthorn lol (and used to be re atheism) but there's a lot of truth to your anecdote.
Yep, completely agree.

Atheists annoy me to no end. If I'm not trying to proselytise, I don't understand why I need to be told my faith is wrong or have people attempt to ridicule me with half-cocked notions that they have taken from the latest Dawkins quote.

It'd be 100% the other way too, it annoys me listening to religious people harp on about their beliefs.

With vegans I just find it more insufferable due to people following the latest vegan on YouTube and trying to recreate what said vegan claimed, despite that person also having no background in science.

Even their fabled 'China study' has been exposed to have cherry-picked the majority of evidence and ignored the multitude of research that contradicted its points.

Football is much harder though haha, if I'm speaking to somebody about west coast I try to make sure I always acknowledge their flaws so that I sound more impartial.

Yep, completely agree.

Atheists annoy me to no end. If I'm not trying to proselytise, I don't understand why I need to be told my faith is wrong or have people attempt to ridicule me with half-cocked notions that they have taken from the latest Dawkins quote.

It'd be 100% the other way too, it annoys me listening to religious people harp on about their beliefs.

With vegans I just find it more insufferable due to people following the latest vegan on YouTube and trying to recreate what said vegan claimed, despite that person also having no background in science.

Even their fabled 'China study' has been exposed to have cherry-picked the majority of evidence and ignored the multitude of research that contradicted its points.

Football is much harder though haha, if I'm speaking to somebody about west coast I try to make sure I always acknowledge their flaws so that I sound more impartial.

What flaws?

Maybe the stress of worrying what are the latest guidelines from health professionals can do as much damage as what we eat? For many years cholesterol was regarded as a killer then in December 2014 the committee for Dietary Guidelines for Americans said 'Cholesterol is not considered a nutrient of concern for overconsumption'
Think the take home message generally is moderation. Except with smoking.

I don't get the hate for vegans and vegetarians. I mean, really, how does it come up in conversation other than someone telling you that if you have them over for dinner. Fine, then it might be an inconvenience, but who gets into conversations where atheists and vegans are ramming their views down your throat.

Don't you guys just talk sport, TV, gaming, light politics (e.g. isn't the PM an idiot), food, music, work and family like normal people?

I don't get the hate for vegans and vegetarians. I mean, really, how does it come up in conversation other than someone telling you that if you have them over for dinner. Fine, then it might be an inconvenience, but who gets into conversations where atheists and vegans are ramming their views down your throat.

Don't you guys just talk sport, TV, gaming, light politics (e.g. isn't the PM an idiot), food, music, work and family like normal people?
Mate of mines Mrs went vegan 18 months ago
Her and her new vegan friends are some of the most arrogant,smug and joyless assholes you will ever meet

Mate of mines Mrs went vegan 18 months ago
Her and her new vegan friends are some of the most arrogant,smug and joyless assholes you will ever meet
This.

My girlfriend is vegan.

I've never criticised her being a vegan but she brings it up so so often.

I find that the joke 'how do you know who the vegan is in the room? They'll tell you' to be pretty true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back