Save 'Catalyst'

Remove this Banner Ad

For those unaware, we are at risk of losing the ABC's Catalyst program which has been a longstanding part of the science landscape in Australian Broadcasting.

https://meaa.good.do/handsoffourabc/ABC-science/

"Our goal is an editorially-independent ABC that is fully-funded by the government and meets its charter as a comprehensive national broadcaster, that is resourced to tell Australian stories across multiple platforms, and positioned to take advantage of new technology to retain its position as the most trusted and reliable source of news and entertainment in Australia."

Shot themselves in the foot with that tin foil hat episode on wi-fi.
Yet we have so many "news" shows firing off all sorts of garbage every day of the week without anyone batting an eye lid. Nothing is perfect, and these guys are mostly top knotch.

IMO it is a bit of a witch hunt from a politicised management.

Yet we have so many "news" shows firing off all sorts of garbage every day of the week without anyone batting an eye lid. Nothing is perfect, and these guys are mostly top knotch.

I'd like the show to stay, however in a climate where you're facing a hostile Liberal government making cuts to the ABC budget. It didn't help their situation.

Certainly have been episodes of Catalyst that were embarrassing for the producers and the ABC.
But overall it's been a long running, informative and entertaining take on science matters.
I will miss it.
But there is no hope of saving a show that has at its heart the scientific truths against a Government that denies those truths.
While we have ministers that are rooted in the 50's there will be no advancement in the sciences in this country.

I'm extremely disappointed the show has been cancelled. Particularly since it seems to be a political move. I watched it regularly. One of the few TV show I like on fb.

Demasi was right about lipitor. So I'm inclined to accept the wi-fried episode as correct. She has clearly pinched a big nerve which has led to the termination of the show.

This is more along the 'peppa pig' line...

Government cuts ABC funding due to perceived news/CA bias.

ABC threatens to cut something unique/loved.

Public support rallies behind keeping that program and the putative reason for the cuts gets pushed aside in the noise.

nb. I used the word 'perceived' before bias because I wanted the comment to be about the strategy employed, not if there is actually bias or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catalyst should get a reprieve but only if they "can" Maryanne Demasi.
She's a serial bullshit artist. Who ever claimed to be her Editor should get the shaft too.
If you claim to be a show about science then best stick to stories about science.
Demasi will get a gig on one of the many sensationalist ambulance chasing "current affair" shows, dare I say it, like A Current Affair.
It may prompt Tracey Grimshaw to finally wax that fkin top lip.

It's not just catalyst copping it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-30/low-carb-advice-lands-doctor-in-hot-water/8078748

Doctor Fettke started pushing for changes to the food in the Launceston General Hospital where he worked and then criticised the hospital for a lack of action.According to Dr Fettke, an anonymous complaint from a dietician at the hospital sparked an investigation by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).

Two and a half years later the watchdog found he was working outside his scope of practise and was not qualified to give specific nutritional advice, and he was ordered to stop speaking about the low carbohydrate, high fat diet.

Would drastically reduce the use of Statins, if he was successful.

It's not just catalyst copping it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-30/low-carb-advice-lands-doctor-in-hot-water/8078748

Would drastically reduce the use of Statins, if he was successful.
That's been a massive embarrassment for AHPRA and if they had their time again the case against Fettke would never had proceeded.
The senate enquiry showed Fettke did nothing wrong and it was a 2 1/2 year unnecessary witch hunt
Today the senate released it's final report, and in it, amongst other things was the recommendation a separate senate inquiry be held into the practices of AHPRA

Last edited:
That's been a massive embarrassment for AHPRA and if they had their time again the case against Fettke would never had proceeded.
The senate enquiry showed Fettke did nothing wrong and it was a 2 1/2 unnecessary witch hunt
Today the senate released it's final report, and in it, amongst other things was the recommendation a separate senate inquiry be held into the practices of AHPRA

The witch hunt would of in all likelihood (if precedent in america is evidence) was bought and paid for by the medical industry. Possibly some high level liberal staffers walked staight into that job from the medical industry. Look at the cost to tax payers this ones had, is still yet to have?

Trump campaigned strongly about this sort of lobbying, this sought of subversion of democracy.

it is how it is and i can't control how people handle this knowladge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back