Saving the Australian rules football game?

IanW

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
#Exers
Still makes it a blight on the game for those who actually make the effort to attend.

No it doesnt.

And on the whole athletes vs footballers thing, the mini breaks between goals do help players without elite endurance get their breathe back, right ?

Again, this in whinging for the sake of whinging.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
No it doesnt.

And on the whole athletes vs footballers thing, the mini breaks between goals do help players without elite endurance get their breathe back, right ?

Again, this in whinging for the sake of whinging.

If your team is on a roll and making a sustained comeback, these 'mini-breaks' actually stifle their momentum and can snuff out their run-on.

What the rule does is ensure there isn't less !!

Hardly proof of a conspiracy then. Either way, forcing backmen to compete for the ball instead of taking the forward out of the play is hardly cynical.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
You have a strange definition of "disgusting".
Don't ever watch American Football - you'll be totally disgusted.

American football is a serious joke mate. So serious it aint funny.
But it is , boring, stop start, bullshit commentry. My curiosity lasts about 2 minutes of the 4 or 6 hours this crap takes to get finished.
I've tried but I'd sooner watch a peice of wet timber warp in the sun. Thats very exiting compared to a supersonic advert called gridiron.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Correct, but in this case being faster has made Australian Football much more exciting than the exciting code it always was.

One example I hope I'm not boring anyone , but the game is so fast now that the word hand ball is no longer a word , at close quarters throwing would be my description, occasionally we see a big beautiful punched off the hand HANDBALL, but in the pack and drag down its almost throwing and sometimes thats all it is. Thats one example of pace and speed to get rid of the ball, has destroyed a skill, only super elite players can do it under pressure Sam Mitchell is one , there are dozens of throws every week , the umps won't call them.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
One example I hope I'm not boring anyone , but the game is so fast now that the word hand ball is no longer a word , at close quarters throwing would be my description, .

You realise that players practice for hours at those close quarter skills.
Get real. They're not throws and handball if anything has improved over the ages.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
Says who ??.

All the the people I associate with think Australian Footballm is faster and more spectacular than ever.
And nobody notices the goal break timing let alone has a problem with it.
It is very rare that the ball is returned quicker than normal to the centre.
It's good the players have a set time to recover for the next play.
It's hard to think of a weaker whinge than this goal break thing.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
All the the people I associate with think Australian Footballm is faster and more spectacular than ever.
And nobody notices the goal break timing let alone has a problem with it.
It is very rare that the ball is returned quicker than normal to the centre.
It's good the players have a set time to recover for the next play.
It's hard to think of a weaker whinge than this goal break thing.

All the the people I associate with think Australian Football is now a pale facsmile of what was a great game.
And everybody notices the goal break timing and has a big a problem with it.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolute bs.
It normally takes a set time to return the ball to the centre.
There has always been a time in getting the ball to the centre.
Are you sure you even attend AFL?

Your short-sighted ignorance & complete disregard for something that may be a problem to others (even if it isn't to you) show that you are not someone who I want to continue conversing with.

Goodbye !!

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Just posted this on the Dogs board.

whati.gif

Free kick against Clay Smith for forceful contact below the knees.

Farcical.

Soccer style diving draws ever closer.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
everybody notices the goal break timing and has a big a problem with it.

Absolute bs.
The break used to longer before they rationalised the stadiaand upgraded thwe specifications for boundary umpires.
The ball used to be often lost in the crowd taking a long while to get back to the centre.
Very occassionally the ball gets booted back to the centre but you still have to wait for the boundary umpires to gain position.

cos789

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 19, 2004
Sunset Coast
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Subiaco
everybody notices the goal break timing and has a big a problem with it.

Absolute bs.
The break used to longer before they rationalised the stadiaand upgraded thwe specifications for boundary umpires.
The ball used to be often lost in the crowd taking a long while to get back to the centre.
Very occassionally the ball gets booted back to the centre but you still have to wait for the boundary umpires to gain position.

Wackajack

Team Captain
Mar 4, 2011
Darwin
AFL Club
Collingwood

whati.gif

My understanding of the rule is if the player goes to 'smother' a kick off the ground then its legal. Just seems like a bad umpiring call. On another note the 'in the back rule' is a ******* disgrace now.

Apr 9, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
American football is a serious joke mate. So serious it aint funny.
But it is , boring, stop start, bullshit commentry. My curiosity lasts about 2 minutes of the 4 or 6 hours this crap takes to get finished.
I've tried but I'd sooner watch a peice of wet timber warp in the sun. Thats very exiting compared to a supersonic advert called gridiron.

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it crap.

Second best game in the world.

All you clowns filling up the board with your ******* incessant whining about the AFL comission and Vlad thread after thread how about you quit crying to a bunch of internet heroes and get off your fat arses and do some thing about it or stfu at least.

If you were truly so outraged you would do something about it, but no, you just want to cry and appear cool on the internets...

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
I think if they want to make the game less congested cut it down to 16 players on the field instead of 18 since there are no real positions anymore apart from the KPP/ruck men.

I agree about the 50m penalty they should cut it back to 25m as it offers too much of an advantage for sometimes very weak reasons.

I agree that pushing in the back should be strongly enforced but "hands in the back" is overkill. If the player uses his hands to push someone out of the contest then it's a push in the back. If they just happen to touch their back as the ball approaches them (hands in the back) then I think that shouldn't be penalised unless there is an obvious push.

The sliding legs out rule is a good one as too many guys have ended up with broken legs as a result. Players deserve to be protected and guys who often get broken legs are never the same again.

I would add to the head high rule by saying a ducking rule should be introduced. Players try to exploit the head high rule by deliberately ducking (yes not just Joel but loads do it). So players are actually putting themselves in danger in order to milk a free kick. I think it should be an immediate free kick to the opposition if a player deliberately ducks his head in a contest. It needs to be stamped out.

I don't like the rule trialled in this years NAB that if the ball spills out in a tackle it's play on. Another attempt to keep the game flowing by the rules committee. But it means that players who lay a good tackle and cause incorrect disposal are not rewarded for their efforts. This is wrong.

Lastly the umpires need to be harder on throwing as this is really becoming a blight on the game like ducking.

i_need_a_pencil

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

whati.gif

Yeah... this is going to be ridiculous if implemented in the H&A.

It is a completely reactionary rule bought about by some unfortunate incidents that are just part of the game. Sure a couple of players had some bad leg breaks, but it was no epidemic and this change will significantly and detrimentally effect the way players try to win the ball.

This rule, more than any other of recent times will change a fundamental way footballers play the game.

Apr 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Explain a simple thing to me, Why would Bartlett and Mathews or whoever in the rules committee would turn the punching of an opponents arm in a contest, when there is no other way to stop him, especially if your shorter. What would be the purpose of this rule change. Maybe to create more oppertunity for full forwards to get lots of free shots on goal and produce TV bred forward heroes, why is the back man given that terrible disadvantage when his whole endevour is to stop the forward marking, You tell me why thats a good rule.
In fact that rule when I have watched games almost leaves the backman with maybe the only choice of standing back and watching the forward mark.

If that's their ploy then they're doing it so very wrong. The last four years rank in the bottom six in terms of goals per game since the Eagles and Bears entered the comp in 1987.

Goals_zps4d2877ef.jpg

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
If that's their ploy then they're doing it so very wrong. The last four years rank in the bottom six in terms of goals per game since the Eagles and Bears entered the comp in 1987.

Goals_zps4d2877ef.jpg
Thats fine for statistics . Thats more about kicking straight , thats another problem altogether . I'm talking about being allowed to make a contest, its that simple. Some of these rules, RULE out, any contest, unless the umpire decides to see it differently.
This is all about the game being played differently. Not about hands in the back ,punching the arms this is totally about changing the games form , it is done for some indescribable reason that the powers that be want the game to look clean and pacey for tv audiences, the game is quietly and subtly being removed from what it actually is. It is not Australian rules if you change the rules to look like something else, like a foul in Basketball or some other minor incidental touching that creates a free kick.
No one seems to notice that , it is changing the game to something else Bartletts Aussie rules maybe.
Or Dims Australian TV rules .
In ten to twenty years unless something changes, this game will turn into an inside artificial grassed handball throwing competition with no contact at all.It'll look like kindergarten rugby , and have about 9 a side.
Watch your game get stolen.

Back