Saving the Australian rules football game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats fine for statistics . Thats more about kicking straight , thats another problem altogether

Your kicking straight 'problem' isn't actually a problem at all, when you look at the statistics. But I guess stats only tell one side of the story, right?

Goalkicking accuracy has steadily improved since the 80s. It's gone down a tad in the last three years, but the rule changes you're talking about have been in place longer. Plus, the shots taken on goal these days have a harder degree of difficulty than the 80s or 90s.

Since 1987:

1987-89: 51.55%
1990-99: 52.64%
2000-09: 53.91%
2010-12: 52.85%

Year by year:

goals2_zps8f3e4ce7.jpg

Your kicking straight 'problem' isn't actually a problem at all, when you look at the statistics. But I guess stats only tell one side of the story, right?

Goalkicking accuracy has steadily improved since the 80s. It's gone down a tad in the last three years, but the rule changes you're talking about have been in place longer. Plus, the shots taken on goal these days have a harder degree of difficulty than the 80s or 90s.

Since 1987:

1987-89: 51.55%
1990-99: 52.64%
2000-09: 53.91%
2010-12: 52.85%

Year by year:

goals2_zps8f3e4ce7.jpg
How do they have a harder degree of difficulty. They are still players kicking on goal. On beautifully groomed grass. No don't think so. Plus this argument isn't about who kicks straight or not, its actually about how the kick is gotten. Alot of the time by dodgy frees from dodgy rules, that is the issue my friend.
Also stats mean nothing , they are numbers , nothing more nothing less, in the context of each activity carried out on the ground which are all different, every time, just like each step up the street, when walking, is different to the next one , stats mean absolutely zilch.

No it doesnt.

And on the whole athletes vs footballers thing, the mini breaks between goals do help players without elite endurance get their breathe back, right ?

Again, this in whinging for the sake of whinging.
No your wrong . Simple. Your wrong .

Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it crap.

Second best game in the world.

All you clowns filling up the board with your ******* incessant whining about the AFL comission and Vlad thread after thread how about you quit crying to a bunch of internet heroes and get off your fat arses and do some thing about it or stfu at least.

If you were truly so outraged you would do something about it, but no, you just want to cry and appear cool on the internets...
Well I've written to my club on many occasions , if you don't like it, please feel free to vanish. Maybe you can whip around to Bomber land and give a helping hand there. Instead of reading all the whingers on big footy.

Now one gridiron thing I've watched is the girls game . Its a bit like womens beach volleyball hey?????
But I don't know if I'm watching for the sport or the visual pleasantry. Ha hahahahaha aaah hahahahaha!
Thats an evil laugh btw. You can whinge about that if you like.

How do they have a harder degree of difficulty. They are still players kicking on goal. On beautifully groomed grass. No don't think so. Plus this argument isn't about who kicks straight or not, its actually about how the kick is gotten. Alot of the time by dodgy frees from dodgy rules, that is the issue my friend.
Also stats mean nothing , they are numbers , nothing more nothing less, in the context of each activity carried out on the ground which are all different, every time, just like each step up the street, when walking, is different to the next one , stats mean absolutely zilch.

Your paranoia amuses me, as does your dismissal of the numbers (aka 'facts').

Good luck with your one-man revolution. They always end up well.

No your wrong . Simple. Your wrong .

Go re-read the Argus quotes. Its the same argument of whistleball vs messy play - thats a challenge the game has always had.

Go look at some actual 1980s and 90s players - they are skinner and less fit than current players. Watch tape of the games then, and dont rely on your memory going 'I want footy like I rememebr it as a kid'.

The current play style is also changing - we're seeing the return of the monster forward (especially teams with two of them) and of the positional play it encourages.

Your paranoia amuses me, as does your dismissal of the numbers (aka 'facts').

Good luck with your one-man revolution. They always end up well.
Numbers numbers numbers, goodness gracious me. Facts facts facts , numbers numbers numbers, ha ha .
Fair dinkum mate numbers prove SFA. Especially numbers from last year up to 100 years ago , everything is different every second they do not mean zilch, and paranoid???? you bloody bet your sweet bickies brother, I'll be paranoid until we win another flag , and another and another and another and another, could you just write those numbers down for me please , yes thats right just put that one in this column , yes yes thats right now, place the count for the words "numbers" over here in this column, NO NO NO not that one, the one over here , and bloody well count them properly geez what wrong , GET THOSE BLOODY STATS CORRECT. How will you know in a 100 years if I am paranoid or not . For goodness sakes man get your calculator out then. Now , place the word count for "facts " here in this column , this will prove you correct , without a worry. Oi did you count my question marks above!!!? Don't forget the damn exclaimation marks c'mon.....oh no another full stop count
Thats the boy, settle down, count count count count count count, goooooooooooooooooooood, snooze now.
Hey whats been happening for the last 5 minutes , just missed a pile of time and happenings, oh well the count will fix that later.

Go re-read the Argus quotes. Its the same argument of whistleball vs messy play - thats a challenge the game has always had.

Go look at some actual 1980s and 90s players - they are skinner and less fit than current players. Watch tape of the games then, and dont rely on your memory going 'I want footy like I rememebr it as a kid'.

The current play style is also changing - we're seeing the return of the monster forward (especially teams with two of them) and of the positional play it encourages.
Well your correct , but the full back still can't touch his arms or his back or punch the ball over his shoulder in case the under part of his upper arm may scrape the shoulder of the FF. Are you really that sure the players of the 80's and 90's were that skinny and unfit. Your dreaming mate. Lockett wasn't that small, Jason was a big porky boy , but s**t he could burst away and he had full backs that really could touch him, HARD TOO!! Sumich wasn't big? John Peck was about 6 foot but he was a hugely built man. Not as fit.
What crap in those days they played on the ground all game , it was slower and the skills could be seen by the fans . But if you like rolling scrums and non hand ball hand balls and players so godamned tired that on the run they don't have the energy to kick straight and a full forward looking great because his apponant can hardly even look at him sideways without him getting a free let alone make a contest.
maybe you like playing chassey, or ping pong. Fitness fatness what crap, if your a kid then you have missed real football. And if this century sees Australian rules change too much more we won't have a f*****g game
that resembles anything but hybrid basket ball soccer and rugby, good for you but I don't like the way its going.
And Bartlett and Mathews should be tarred and feathered. But I'll leave that to you. Good day, must head off to work to earn my pittance. There have a shot at that one .

Well your correct , but the full back still can't touch his arms or his back or punch the ball over his shoulder in case the under part of his upper arm may scrape the shoulder of the FF. Are you really that sure the players of the 80's and 90's were that skinny and unfit. Your dreaming mate. Lockett wasn't that small, Jason was a big porky boy , but s**t he could burst away and he had full backs that really could touch him, HARD TOO!! Sumich wasn't big? John Peck was about 6 foot but he was a hugely built man. Not as fit.

Yep. That the umpires should protect the man who made the lead and established the front position. What a crime against the great game of Australian Football.

While you're about it, protect that great habit of the 1980s of kicking the forward in the achilles tendon.

Yes, by modern standards they were ... Lockett's aerobic fitness wasnt that good, and as far as size, have a look at the big units going around today - and Patton and Hogan havent finished growing up yet.

But the key is the amount of gut running players do. Again, go back and watch the film, and count how many players who walk.

Numbers numbers numbers, goodness gracious me. Facts facts facts , numbers numbers numbers, ha ha .
Fair dinkum mate numbers prove SFA. Especially numbers from last year up to 100 years ago , everything is different every second they do not mean zilch, and paranoid???? you bloody bet your sweet bickies brother, I'll be paranoid until we win another flag , and another and another and another and another, could you just write those numbers down for me please , yes thats right just put that one in this column , yes yes thats right now, place the count for the words "numbers" over here in this column, NO NO NO not that one, the one over here , and bloody well count them properly geez what wrong , GET THOSE BLOODY STATS CORRECT. How will you know in a 100 years if I am paranoid or not . For goodness sakes man get your calculator out then. Now , place the word count for "facts " here in this column , this will prove you correct , without a worry. Oi did you count my question marks above!!!? Don't forget the damn exclaimation marks c'mon.....oh no another full stop count
Thats the boy, settle down, count count count count count count, goooooooooooooooooooood, snooze now.
Hey whats been happening for the last 5 minutes , just missed a pile of time and happenings, oh well the count will fix that later.

Well if that's not the best post in the history of BigFooty, I don't know what is.

One final thing on numbers and their importance. Without numbers there'd be no winner at the end of each match.

How do they have a harder degree of difficulty.

It's obvious you've never been to a game of football.
Why do you bother to keep posting this bs.
Degree of difficulty obviously increasse with distance and angle.
Anybody who has watched football will be able to tell you that football has changed.
Clubs don't have the prominent CHFs and Pagan's paddock to work with these days.
It's all about working the ball down the boundary and trying to "manufacture" a goal.

Anybody who has watched football will be able to tell you that football has changed.
Clubs don't have the prominent CHFs and Pagan's paddock to work with these days.
It's all about working the ball down the boundary and trying to "manufacture" a goal.

Oh fair dinkum mate. No centre half forwards wowie , is that so?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And that's it?

Gee you must TRULY be outraged and keen to save your game of footy :confused:
What have you done mate . When did you stand up and say something, you know the old saying, if you don't stand up for something , you stand for nothing , sound like you?
I mean, in any field of endeavour not just footy.
When did you stand up for something. Instead of being an insulting mouth, nothing more hey.

Oh fair dinkum mate. No centre half forwards wowie , is that so?

NO, that's not what I said.

I said

Grow up you sound like a rl fan.

Well we all know that the traditionalists who follow football are pretty well still in love with the game, even the rule changing over fast injury prone game we have today.
WE LOVE IT!!
But there are things that if kept going could turn the game rotten. Like yearly rule changes and some of the silly things brought in in the past 5 to 10 years. Hands in the back etc. Punching the arms .

What do others think . We older followers do get peed off about some parts of the modern game that
take away the oportunity for much younger kids to see the mighty clashes of champions of the game . Example Carey and Jackovich, WOW? You don't see the contests now.

Yes we older fellas are whingers but our game is so great and we don't need to go much more if at all any further with rule changes . Yes you young folks it is still bloody marvelous . Dreadful if it ever wasn't hey?

Any ideas.
What can be done? I just don't know anymore. But we must first Fix the major epidemic that you mentioned, new stupid rule comes into effect on a yearly basis. The game is getting softer and softer and it makes me sick. When I first played this game about 13 years ago, it was about going in hard for the ball. Now its a free kick for sliding in for the ball (one of the first things your tought as a junior). Might as well wrap players in bubble wrap to protect them from broken bones. It's time for Demetriou to put down his ginger ale and twilight novel and start realising how much impact these pathetic rules are having on our once unique game

What can be done? I just don't know anymore. But we must first Fix the major epidemic that you mentioned, new stupid rule comes into effect on a yearly basis. The game is getting softer and softer and it makes me sick. When I first played this game about 13 years ago, it was about going in hard for the ball. Now its a free kick for sliding in for the ball (one of the first things your tought as a junior). Might as well wrap players in bubble wrap to protect them from broken bones. It's time for Demetriou to put down his ginger ale and twilight novel and start realising how much impact these pathetic rules are having on our once unique game
Once unique game is a very important statement , thats the fear , becomming like everything else.

Funny how there aren't many posters on here. Perhaps I'm in the minority that the Aussie rules game needs saving?

Rule changes have been mostly rubbish in my opinion, but more so they are too often. Let the rules committee sit once every five years to implement changes after some research has been done.

Get rid of gambling funding and remove the risk of fixing. If the players wages drop back so be it.

Well we all know that the traditionalists who follow football are pretty well still in love with the game, even the rule changing over fast injury prone game we have today.
WE LOVE IT!!
But there are things that if kept going could turn the game rotten. Like yearly rule changes and some of the silly things brought in in the past 5 to 10 years. Hands in the back etc. Punching the arms .

What do others think . We older followers do get peed off about some parts of the modern game that
take away the oportunity for much younger kids to see the mighty clashes of champions of the game . Example Carey and Jackovich, WOW? You don't see the contests now.

Yes we older fellas are whingers but our game is so great and we don't need to go much more if at all any further with rule changes . Yes you young folks it is still bloody marvelous . Dreadful if it ever wasn't hey?

Any ideas.
IMO it is not so much about the game getting rotten, but the losing of touch with the minor leagues....for example some of the differences emerging say between the AFL and SANFL are threatening to cause a divergence in the game itself. Certainly the two SA based AFL players are finding it increasingly more difficult to adjust week to week particularly those players caught between the two levels. I'd like to strongly suggest that we establish a national rules body ASAP and this should not be based in Melbourne and independent from the AFL and influence. This ...and a national umpire training facility that should be supplying umpires from AFL to 2nd and 3rd tier leagues.

I'd like to strongly suggest that we establish a national rules body ASAP and this should not be based in Melbourne and independent from the AFL and influence.

Won't happen, the AFL won't allow it. They want to own everything in football, a genuine reason for concern about the future of football. They used to have the Australian National Football Council who performed that role but it was superseded by the AFL. I've always been concerned by how the AFL cannot see the benefit of strong local leagues. God only knows where they think the talent comes from.

Won't happen, the AFL won't allow it. They want to own everything in football, a genuine reason for concern about the future of football. They used to have the Australian National Football Council who performed that role but it was superseded by the AFL. I've always been concerned by how the AFL cannot see the benefit of strong local leagues. God only knows where they think the talent comes from.

In the AFL's case it's like a twist on "don't bite the hands that feed you"

They are the hand that feeds, but the one being fed (the state comps, grassroots etc.) are being either underfed or fed the wrong stuff and yet the AFL still expects them to thrive

It's dumb and depressing

Our football code is so amateurish compared to other international codes. The code has needed for a long time an independent body to manage all the rules/regulations/MRP etc. ala Association Football in England with the FA the governing body and the EPL/Championship each their own competition governed by an independent body. AFL just control everything and look out for the best interests of the competition - and even then it's debatable as to whether they look out for some clubs more than others etc.

Sad it will never happen as the state the league is in right now is truly making me feel less enticed to go to games/watch them on TV. Most of the awards are bogus now - the only one's that really mean anything are the coaches MVP, Players MVP and Coleman medal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back