Saving

Remove this Banner Ad

$600 for food and social activities? That's impressive, I presume there isn't a lot of alcohol drunk outside of the home.
Won't even spend that much, try not to let it drop below $250 (which is reverved for emergencies etc).

Drink a bit, but nothing excessive. We spend most of our money going out for food (bear in mind we are still living w my parents)

I set aside $500 a month to put into my ING SM while the rest goes to my car loan, Foxtel, Internet, phone etc.

Also manage to have enough left over for my annual trip to Bali or Phuket and also have thousands of dollars of winnings in numerous betting account as I punt everyday while you guys have to go to work. Not bad for a DSP bludger.

Don't think this is the best fiscal decision. 3% interest in the SM. What's the rate on the loan?

Geez that's given me something to think about at just a lil over 7% although the loan should be paid off end of the year.

Will have to talk to the olds about this. I could pay it off now but damn Daniel it'll suck seeing a large amount disappear all at once.

But of course you could mount the same argument for a new iPhone. It would be cheaper in the long term to buy it outright, yet nobody does.

Geez that's given me something to think about at just a lil over 7% although the loan should be paid off end of the year.

Will have to talk to the olds about this. I could pay it off now but damn Daniel it'll suck seeing a large amount disappear all at once.

not to mention you pay tax on your interest income and probably don't receive a tax deduction on your interest expense

But of course you could mount the same argument for a new iPhone. It would be cheaper in the long term to buy it outright, yet nobody does.

Plenty of people are capable of planning more than one month in advance for purchases and payments.

Is buying a phone outright really that much cheaper?

I have a $70/month plan with Telstra so my phone effectively costs $480 over a 24 month term. Had I bought a Samsung S5 when I signed up a year or so ago it would've been $800 or so.

You're suggesting that the phone element is worth $20 per month.

Obviously, I'm not sure of your phone usage, but I'm on an optus $30 a month pre-paid, which gives me unlimited everything (except data - but I still get more data than I can use) if you made use of the same pre-paid plan that I use, you're now looking at $960.

What do you get in your plan? What are your requirements?

I could probably look at downgrading my pre-paid actually. I wonder if there are better options available.

Is buying a phone outright really that much cheaper?

I have a $70/month plan with Telstra so my phone effectively costs $480 over a 24 month term. Had I bought a Samsung S5 when I signed up a year or so ago it would've been $800 or so.

superfraser has got it in one. You are falling for their advertising which suggests you are only paying $20 per month for the phone. I usually buy my phone outright and I'm on a $20 mobile plan that is close enough to unlimited for me.

$50 * 24 = $1200.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did a lot of maths and it works out marginally cheaper - just depends if you want to pay the money upfront for a new phone or not. It does work best if you can get your handset on sale somewhere, or if you have a good quality phone that youve had from a previous plan. I've still got my iphone 5s, and it isnt great but still gets the job done - I've gone from paying $80/month with Voda, with 4.5GB data on a 24 month contract, to $40 per month with 11GB from Virgin month to month.

If I was to buy a new Iphone 6s outright, it would cost me $1229, plus the $960 would equal $2,189 if I stayed with Virgin for 24months.
If I was to go on a plan with Virgin for that phone with 10GB data, it would cost me $2,496 over 24 months
If I was to go on a plan with Virgin for that phone with 6GB of data, it would cost me $2,280 over 24 months

Cant stand it when people explain how the got the phone upgraded for free.

Meanwhile im still rocking my iphone 4 from the stone age and paying $20 per month at iinet. Saving me over $50 per month when compared to their free upgraded phone contract.
It's not so bad when you sell the old model for nearly $400 like I did.

It's not so bad when you sell the old model for nearly $400 like I did.
I almost scored a free 6s...

My mate works for Apple fairly high up so we get family discount. So my partner bought a 6s off him for 15% discount, but when the delivery came, the courier bought an apple TV instead of iphone. Called up apple and reported it, and called up the courier and reported it. That day, the courier returned with a 6s and took back the Apple TV.

Two days later, Apple responded with their own investigation, and sent another iPhone with a different courier to me. Sheepishly I signed for it and acted like nothing was out of place.

It took 3 months for Apple to cotton on, and one day a courier turned up at my door asking for the iPhone pickup. I told him I had no idea what he was talking about, and off he went. Two days later, I had apple contact me, ask for a stat-dec to be signed saying I never took delivery of the second iPhone or legal action would be taken.

Disappointing, as I used the second iPhone for that time, and now going back to the 5s hurts me!

I almost scored a free 6s...

My mate works for Apple fairly high up so we get family discount. So my partner bought a 6s off him for 15% discount, but when the delivery came, the courier bought an apple TV instead of iphone. Called up apple and reported it, and called up the courier and reported it. That day, the courier returned with a 6s and took back the Apple TV.

Two days later, Apple responded with their own investigation, and sent another iPhone with a different courier to me. Sheepishly I signed for it and acted like nothing was out of place.

It took 3 months for Apple to cotton on, and one day a courier turned up at my door asking for the iPhone pickup. I told him I had no idea what he was talking about, and off he went. Two days later, I had apple contact me, ask for a stat-dec to be signed saying I never took delivery of the second iPhone or legal action would be taken.

Disappointing, as I used the second iPhone for that time, and now going back to the 5s hurts me!

I had the same thing happen with Telstra, and I scored a free modem. They never came looking for the modem though - I got to keep it!

...unfortunately, I never did find a use for that second modem. :(

Once you do the calcs on what you paid v what you sold it for, it makes less sense to continue repeating the process.

Unless of course the joy you get from having a new phone outweighs the financial loss. Same as a new car etc.

Once you do the calcs on what you paid v what you sold it for, it makes less sense to continue repeating the process.

Unless of course the joy you get from having a new phone outweighs the financial loss. Same as a new car etc.
Probably not, but it doesn't really worry me.

I was happy to upgrade.

You're suggesting that the phone element is worth $20 per month.

Obviously, I'm not sure of your phone usage, but I'm on an optus $30 a month pre-paid, which gives me unlimited everything (except data - but I still get more data than I can use) if you made use of the same pre-paid plan that I use, you're now looking at $960.

What do you get in your plan? What are your requirements?

I could probably look at downgrading my pre-paid actually. I wonder if there are better options available.

I'm with Telstra. They have S, M, L, XL plans.

The M plan is $50 a month or $70 a month with my phone (at the time, no doubt cheaper now).

I could drop to a smaller plan or another network, but I use my data allowance and have always been with Telstra due to needing my phone in places where Vodafone and Optus don't work.

For my circumstances, what I do works.

Are there any plans that have unlimited data in Oz yet?
Not that I know of. You just gotta hunt around for specials.

I managed to get 11gb data for $40 a month sim only with Virgin. Original plan was $60, but they had a special $20 per month off for the life of the sim. came with 6gb, I got a bonus 2gb for transferring my number from another provider, another 2gb as it was my first account, and another 1gb every time I play one track on their music streaming app.

Having said that I've been waiting for my adsl to get connected at home, and tethering has absolutely chomped through my data. Managed to wrangle another 3gb for free as they didn't send me an 85% data used text, and then another 2gb for signing up to presto (first month is free, so I'll just delete my account in a couple weeks).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back