Opinion Say NO to a 2020* Grand Final at AO

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I have to imagine that at least part of the opposition to the SA grand final is due to the Crows and Port respective ladder position.

That being said I live in Queensland and I don't want us hosting the grand final up here this year either as I think it's a huge waste of money, so I certainly think that argument is valid and stands on its own merit.

One thing I'll disagree with is the finger pointing at the Victorian government as the one who 'created this mess'. That credit should go to the federal government who have so far managed to slime their way out of it thanks to Murdoch.
Don't want the grand final here as we will likely see an influx of tiger and cats supporters coming over the border spreading the china flu. Easily 2 best sides. Have it in qld as it makes it harder for supporters to travel there. Or WA for that matter.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't want the grand final here as we will likely see an influx of tiger and cats supporters coming over the border spreading the china flu. Easily 2 best sides. Have it in qld as it makes it harder for supporters to travel there. Or WA for that matter.

man cut that racist bs out.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
man cut that racist bs out.
I was channelling my inner Trump though. Can't stand him but actually found it amusing that he kept going with it. The virus did originate there so it technically is true. Not racist. Hate everyone equally. :) Especially a country's government that is likely responsible for the pandemic either innocently or intentionally and still as far as I know haven't apologised or been open and transparent about their involvement. Disgusting Government the CCP are and the sooner they are gone the better off the world will be.

But getting back to the original point I would prefer the grand final not to be here as I know it would bring in individuals most likely carrying the virus. Perth is the logical choice financially, visually, and would make it almost impossible for Vic supporters to travel there infecting locals. AFL would need to make sure tickets can't be purchased by Victorians or transferrable to them.

Last edited:

CrowBloke

Solum stulti se excusant!
May 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Sorry if someone has made this point, but with PA a chance of making the GF, I can't see that the AFL would want one of its precious ex-VFL sides being disadvantaged by having them play a GF at PA's home ground.
I mean, it just wouldn't be FAIR, would it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ==>
Especially their beloved Richmond or Collingwood. In the latter case, Eddie would fight it all the way to the Supreme Court.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Sorry if someone has made this point, but with PA a chance of making the GF, I can't see that the AFL would want one of its precious ex-VFL sides being disadvantaged by having them play a GF at PA's home ground.
I mean, it just wouldn't be FAIR, would it? :rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ==>
Especially their beloved Richmond or Collingwood. In the latter case, Eddie would fight it all the way to the Supreme Court.
This would be true if Brisbane weren’t a chance either.

AFL should have denied the MCG's requirements and forced the MCC to host it there with no crowd if they didn't comply with whatever situation they presented.

It should have been breaking the entire contract, or allowing whatever to happen this year and that's it

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
And what is your occupation?
I have told the story before of my mate Jason. I say mate, a loose description.

Mid 30s 2IC in fruit n veg at a supermarket and always critical of everything the rest of our circle if friends do or say. Has an opinion, mainly negative on everything. A know it all.

Including careers.

Jason is by far the lowest paid and most junior of our friends in terms of career.

Sanders reminds me of him.

BTW Jason refers to himself as a senior assistant produce manager.

I bet Sanders woukd do the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
How corrupt is the AFL and the Vic government

As part of the arrangement to relinquish the match in 2020, the AFL has agreed with the Victorian Government to extend the current contractual arrangement with the Victorian Government and the MCG for an additional year to 2058, including the right to host the AFL Grand Final.

How corrupt is the AFL and the Vic government

As part of the arrangement to relinquish the match in 2020, the AFL has agreed with the Victorian Government to extend the current contractual arrangement with the Victorian Government and the MCG for an additional year to 2058, including the right to host the AFL Grand Final.

Exactly. I can't believe this is not getting more attention. It was the MCG that couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain yet receive way overs in terms of compensation. The AFL who obviously were the guilty party with the MCG GF off then turn around and sell the rights to host a compromised GF product for 3 times the value of the product.

In that case, I am going to go to the AFL and ask for an extension of my 2020 membership for 2 extra years at no charge since they didn't stump up their end of the agreement (BTW, I still havent received my refund for my ticket upgrade to round 1). They know where they can stick their 2021 Hospitality Pack or Bring a Mate option.

Edit: The MCC/Vic Gov have really shown their colours on this one too..in a world where "we are all in this together" and people are compromising their lives as the new norm, they couldn't take one for the team and let the AFL slide on their contractual obligation? Pigs.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Exactly. I can't believe this is not getting more attention. It was the MCG that couldn't fulfill their end of the bargain yet receive way overs in terms of compensation. The AFL who obviously were the guilty party with the MCG GF off then turn around and sell the rights to host a compromised GF product for 3 times the value of the product.

In that case, I am going to go to the AFL and ask for an extension of my 2020 membership for 2 extra years at no charge since they didn't stump up their end of the agreement (BTW, I still havent received my refund for my ticket upgrade to round 1). They know where they can stick their 2021 Hospitality Pack or Bring a Mate option.

Edit: The MCC/Vic Gov have really shown their colours on this one too..in a world where "we are all in this together" and people are compromising their lives as the new norm, they couldn't take one for the team and let the AFL slide on their contractual obligation? Pigs.

For those that watched Footy Classified last night. How smug does Eddie look. I'm sure they said quarantined for 7 days not 14. They are all in a resort , a bit different to other being put into quarantine in Qld. The AFL brought 4 chartered jets of people there , families and all. It doesn't sound like much social distancing will be required. There was a scene in a interview with someone playing golf. Probably a local. I wonder who is paying for this. The players association might have some whinging to do if its the AFL and its coming out of their wage. 6 weeks up there. Tax payer certainly should whinge.

Grand Final a solid 7 weeks away.

Dont rule out AO Grand Final just yet, if anything the Corona Year 2020* has shown us, sh*t does happen.

With the risk of sounding like an ambulance chaser, the SA government could help out if the AFL promised to install a rotational GF venue system going forward.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
The whole thing has annoyed me. The Gabba was decided weeks ago but to fuel AFL attention we have this rediculous bidding process our State Government took part in. The whole thing was staged managed and some of the public laped it up.

Queensland was always the safe option. It's the AFL conceeding but in a way that least hurts them. There was no way Victorians could face either SA or WA hosting it.

It's convenient but has nothing to do with how helpful the Queensland Government has been accepting millions of dollars a week from the AFL industry.

Imagine Port losing their home Prelim with a home Grand Final at Adelaide Oval on the line, a once in a lifetime opportunity

Thats the point Im making.

I wish South Australia was awarded the Grand Final.

I actually would have gone to it.

The irony is that it would probably be at capacity if the tickets were sold prior to Grand Final. Port fans would have bought them all up, because you know its their destiny to reach the Grand Final in their 150th year lol.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Thats the point Im making.

I wish South Australia was awarded the Grand Final.

I actually would have gone to it.

The irony is that it would probably be at capacity if the tickets were sold prior to Grand Final. Port fans would have bought them all up, because you know its their destiny to reach the Grand Final in their 150th year lol.
But we would have got them cheaper as the bandwagoners sell to offload them.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Back