Opinion Say what you want about Chris Scott as a coach, but as a person, no-one can fault his morality

Remove this Banner Ad

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Hey guys,

So I've been an increasingly critical person when it come to Scott and his coaching, but it has given me fresh clarity to see the massive sacrifice he has made amidst this crisis. As much as I can't wait for when the coaching reigns are given over to someone with a bit more dare and creativity, as a person, I don't think I will ever forget what he has done for our club; given that coaches are taking a minimum 20% cut (Fagan taking the next most at 50%),

Scott foregoing his salary so that development coaches - a lot of them close friends of his - don't feel like they've been thrown to the wolves - is something that has made me immensely proud of the culture we've created at Geelong, and has increased my respect for Scott as a person immeasurably. There is something very special about our game when players, coaches and people in the industry, are all willing to self-sacrifice, in order to preserve the game. Of course they're on a lot more money than the majority of Australians, but there is nothing forcing them to do what they've done except basic morality.

In these dark times, it gives me hope to know that our country has created a sport that is so fostered in community, that people like Scott and Fagan are able to self sacrifice, for the greater good.

I have no doubt that we'll all bitch about Scott in the future when it comes to his ego, his comments and his coaching, but as a person, I think he should be held in the highest regard.

Kudos Scotty!

You know of anyone else forgoing a ~$1m a year salary to help people out at the moment?
Lmfao. He'd be on 1 million a year. He's giving up 6 weeks worth. Again, lets not pretend he cut of a limb here.

Still a nice thing to do. Not many think of others in times of need.
Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not knocking the bloke for it. Incredibly generous thing to do. He doesn't have to give anyone anything. Just saying lets keep it in perspective here.

Lmfao. He'd be on 1 million a year. He's giving up 6 weeks worth. Again, lets not pretend he cut of a limb here.

My mate at Freo who's been reduced to 2 days a week, and has seen most of his mates let go, is wishing more of the high earners were sacrificing the way Scott is. They're all really wishing that Lyon gives his severance package back too, that would've sustained all of them over the "6 weeks". And it won't be for 6 weeks, you're kidding yourself if you believe that.

Hey guys,

So I've been an increasingly critical person when it come to Scott and his coaching, but it has given me fresh clarity to see the massive sacrifice he has made amidst this crisis. As much as I can't wait for when the coaching reigns are given over to someone with a bit more dare and creativity, as a person, I don't think I will ever forget what he has done for our club; given that coaches are taking a minimum 20% cut (Fagan taking the next most at 50%),

Scott foregoing his salary so that development coaches - a lot of them close friends of his - don't feel like they've been thrown to the wolves - is something that has made me immensely proud of the culture we've created at Geelong, and has increased my respect for Scott as a person immeasurably. There is something very special about our game when players, coaches and people in the industry, are all willing to self-sacrifice, in order to preserve the game. Of course they're on a lot more money than the majority of Australians, but there is nothing forcing them to do what they've done except basic morality.

In these dark times, it gives me hope to know that our country has created a sport that is so fostered in community, that people like Scott and Fagan are able to self sacrifice, for the greater good.

I have no doubt that we'll all bitch about Scott in the future when it comes to his ego, his comments and his coaching, but as a person, I think he should be held in the highest regard.

Kudos Scotty!

it is easy to dismiss the sacrifice because of his income and wealth. Yet so many others in his position wouldn't do the same.

well done and a great reflection of his character!

Still a nice thing to do. Not many think of others in times of need.

As someone who is a highish salary earner (probably similar to a first year player) and a leader in my organisation...I agreed to have my salary cut by 50% yesterday and it’s going to hurt...so I personally have a lot of respect for what he has done.

So what if it doesn’t amount to much impact on his lifestyle, but maybe it helps to keep 8-10 people employed in the club who otherwise would have been made redundant.

He’s gone up a lot in my eyes.

How is offering to take a 50% pay cut greedy? The players have been asked to take an 80% pay cut, and the AFLPA has basically said, "Before we agree to that, show us what pay cut Gil is taking."

Basically all football staff are being stood down and he wants to keep half his salary for playing one game?

Perspective is key and this guy has always said the quarters are too long and wants to keep the same money for ages, now people are losing jobs and he wants to get paid to sit at home?

Pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically all football staff are being stood down and he wants to keep half his salary for playing one game?

Perspective is key and this guy has always said the quarters are too long and wants to keep the same money for ages, now people are losing jobs and he wants to get paid to sit at home?

Pathetic.

You realise he's liaising with the entire playing group through delegates (Fantasia and Gleeson at your club, for example) and representing their interest and opinions? It's not Dangerfield up there personally making statements about what he does or does not want :D

How is offering to take a 50% pay cut greedy? The players have been asked to take an 80% pay cut, and the AFLPA has basically said, "Before we agree to that, show us what pay cut Gil is taking."

Whilst I acknowledge the sentiment and agree to an extent, it is worth remembering that footballers are basically doing nothing - can't play, can't train, can't attend club meetings, etc. Gil, on the other hand, would be having to work at least 12 hours a day to manage programs, wages, complaints/claims, broadcasters, financial consequences, sponsorship, health concerns, etc, etc.

With that said, Gil earns more than enough and should be leading from the front with his salary sacrifice.

To be fair to Gil, he's probably actually doing some work for his money this season..

Agree with that and he does not have it easy at the minute, he is however on 3million a year upwards apparantly and dropping to 1 million one Would think would have zero impact on his lifestyle. Do you think his and his family could scrape through on 45-50k per month after tax?

No real surprise, he always come across as one of the most emotionally intelligent of the current crop of coaches.

Doesn't mean everyone should feel pressured to follow suit, but he is seemingly in a personal position to feel able to make that call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back