Competitions SBBFL Off-Season Thread 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Boys, thought I'd start up a trade thread to get us underway with the 2019 off-season, I think we kick off trade week(s) after the post of this thread(i know there's been trade discussion in private anyway).

The trade period will run up until the 20th of November to get enough time to finalize draft order etc. before the AFL's National, Rookie and Pre-Season drafts. After the completion of the AFL's Drafts we will conduct our own Drafts. From memory i believe our own National draft included any player that had played 10 or less games and our Pre-Season Draft was anyone left over top up style Draft to fill 44 list spots. I say we keep the same format again this year(up for debate) because i think it worked well last year.

Im not sure when we have access to UF again for team list etc so i suggest people update their Team list in the running thread we have so we can keep track of trades and list spots. No delistings need to be made as of yet however feel free to post them into this thread and ill have an up to date list of available players by draft time of left over players.

Ill create a new thread after this where we can post complete trades and conformations as well as having an up to date National Draft order ill keep track of in the first post, we will try keep that thread tidy and only have trades and conformations and thats it and the rest of discussion over the off-season can be kept here.
e.g.

CursingFijian :
Completed trade: Canoneyes Gain: Robert Harvey and Pick 10
Puzzles FC gain Justin Koschitzke and Zac Dawson.

Left_Billings : Confirmed

In the scenario where a trade seems unbalanced(as above) it can be questioned and a vote can be taken whether or not it can be allowed but i doubt this will happen very often.

The Current draft order based on the ladder and finals is :

1: simonoz
2: Bogan Juniors
3: CursingFijian
4: St Kilda Death
5: majortinkle
6: Phoenix_9
7: Jonzi
8: Orasia Fantazio
9: PetWussy
10: Left_Billings
11: simonoz
12: Bogan Juniors
13: CursingFijian
14: St Kilda Death
15: majortinkle
16: Phoenix_9
17: Jonzi
18: Orasia Fantazio
19: PetWussy
20: Left_Billings
21: simonoz
22: Bogan Juniors
23: CursingFijian
24: St Kilda Death
25: majortinkle
26: Phoenix_9
27: Jonzi
28: Orasia Fantazio
29: PetWussy
30: Left_Billings
Etc.

National Draft picks are very much tradeable however each team must make at least 3 selections in the draft and a finalized 44 list spots taken up running into 2019 so keep that in mind before trading away the future.

Also just to mention think its great that it seems like everyone(as far as i can tell) is still keen to keep this comp running into a 4th year.
Good stuff guys and lets get the discussion goin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May as well get us started while I'm going,
This is an up to date team list with averages, made it for the team lists thread but seems like itd be useful with any trade enquiries any of you may have:
Team.jpg

My team list with 2018 averages:

KD (4): T. Jonas (86.8), D. Howard (71.8), D. Astbury (69.5), J. Frawley (67.2).
GD (7): M. Suckling (91.5), N. Wilson (80.2), C. Mills (79), N. Haynes (75.2), B. Houli (73.6), M. Hibberd (72.8), M. Broadbent (0)
Mids (14): N. Fyfe (113.9), S. Coniglio (108.4), J. P. Kennedy (96.8), D. Zorko (95.8), D. Zaharakis (93.8), J. Lyons (92.5), N. Jones (84.6), T. Dumont (83.4), I. Smith (83.1), R. Henderson (82), D. Armitage (78), R. Douglas (73.6), S. Selwood (70.5), M. Kennedy (64.6),
Rucks (2): B. Grundy (130.5), J. Roughead (69.8)
GF (9): J. Westhoff (101.2), R. Gray (96.8), T. T. Lynch (80.4), A. Christensen (72.8), D. Menzel (68), M. Wood (66.9), J. Stephenson (64), L. Ryan (62), H. Bennell (0)
KF (5): J. Darling (86.9), C. Hooker (77.6), S. McKernan (73.8), M. Taberner (65.2), P. McCartin (48.3)

Last edited:

Boys, thought I'd start up a trade thread to get us underway with the 2019 off-season, I think we kick off trade week(s) after the post of this thread(i know there's been trade discussion in private anyway).

The trade period will run up until the 20th of November to get enough time to finalize draft order etc. before the AFL's National, Rookie and Pre-Season drafts. After the completion of the AFL's Drafts we will conduct our own Drafts. From memory i believe our own National draft included any player that had played 10 or less games and our Pre-Season Draft was anyone left over top up style Draft to fill 44 list spots. I say we keep the same format again this year(up for debate) because i think it worked well last year.

Im not sure when we have access to UF again for team list etc so i suggest people update their Team list in the running thread we have so we can keep track of trades and list spots. No delistings need to be made as of yet however feel free to post them into this thread and ill have an up to date list of available players by draft time of left over players.

Ill create a new thread after this where we can post complete trades and conformations as well as having an up to date National Draft order ill keep track of in the first post, we will try keep that thread tidy and only have trades and conformations and thats it and the rest of discussion over the off-season can be kept here.
e.g.

CursingFijian :
Completed trade: Canoneyes Gain: Robert Harvey and Pick 10
Puzzles FC gain Justin Koschitzke and Zac Dawson.

Left_Billings : Confirmed

In the scenario where a trade seems unbalanced(as above) it can be questioned and a vote can be taken whether or not it can be allowed but i doubt this will happen very often.

The Current draft order based on the ladder and finals is :

1: simonoz
2: Bogan Juniors
3: CursingFijian
4: St Kilda Death
5: majortinkle
6: Phoenix_9
7: Jonzi
8: Orasia Fantazio
9: PetWussy
10: Left_Billings
11: simonoz
12: Bogan Juniors
13: CursingFijian
14: St Kilda Death
15: majortinkle
16: Phoenix_9
17: Jonzi
18: Orasia Fantazio
19: PetWussy
20: Left_Billings
21: simonoz
22: Bogan Juniors
23: CursingFijian
24: St Kilda Death
25: majortinkle
26: Phoenix_9
27: Jonzi
28: Orasia Fantazio
29: PetWussy
30: Left_Billings
Etc.

National Draft picks are very much tradeable however each team must make at least 3 selections in the draft and a finalized 44 list spots taken up running into 2019 so keep that in mind before trading away the future.

Also just to mention think its great that it seems like everyone(as far as i can tell) is still keen to keep this comp running into a 4th year.
Good stuff guys and lets get the discussion goin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we ended up going with a minimum 3 picks for draftees in either National or Rookie drafts (or zero gamers), and then fill up your squad with anyone else (including mature free agents), which worked well.

1. Steven May (KD) - 81.7
2. Aaron Francis (Probably KD only) - 80.8
3. Marcus Adams (KD) - 69.5
4. Jake Kolodjashnij (KD) - 59.0
5. Aaron Naughton (KD) - 57.3
6. Jordan Ridley (KD) - 53.7
7. Ben Mckay (Probably KD only) - DNP

8. James Sicily (Probably GD/Small chance KD) - 105.1
9. Shane Savage (GD) - 88.7
10. Luke Hodge (GD) - 83.2
11. Nick Vlastuin (GD) - 81.6
12. Brayden Maynard (GD) - 74.9
13. Conor Mckenna (GD) - 74.4
14. Blake Hardwick (GD) - 74.3
15. Andrew McGrath (GD) - 70.8
16. Colin O'Riordan (GD) - 66.0
17. Ed Richards (GD) - 58.9

18. Clayton Oliver (M) - 114.7
19. Gary Ablett (M) - 106.9
20. Mitch Duncan (M) - 106.2
21. Joel Selwood (M) - 105.1
22. Tom Philips (M) - 90.1
23. Shaun Burgoyne (M) - 89.2
24. Andrew Brayshaw (M) - 60.5
25. Charlie Constable (M) - DNP

26. Jordan De Goey (M/F) - 87.8
27. Jack Ziebell (Probably M/F) - 84.5
28. Kyle Langford (M/F) - 80.4
29. Jade Gresham (M/F) - 79.1
30. Sam Petrevski-Seton (M/F) - 67.2
31. Charlie Spargo (M/F) - 57.3

32. Orazio Fantasia (GF) - 83.3
33. Jamie Cripps (GF) - 81.0
34. Josh Begley (GF) - 38.6

35. Jack Gunston (KF) - 96.0
36. Tom Lynch (KF) - 78.4
37. Josh J. Kennedy (KF) - 75.3

38. Todd Goldstein (R) - 101.0
39. Matthew Kreuzer (R) - 79.8
40. Sam Naismith (R) - DNP
41. Braydon Preuss (R) - DNP

Delistings: Jordan Murdoch

Draft picks: 6,7,8,17,28

Last edited:
Would be good if we knew positions earlier.....
C. Hooker probably be a KD only.
J. Westhoff probably a mid only, even tho he plays everywhere
Yeah they release the list at the back end of December. I think we should leave the squad cull and draft until after that to be honest.

Yeah they release the list at the back end of December. I think we should leave the squad cull and draft until after that to be honest.
Disagree, part of the challenge is making sure you have cut down the list spot to make your 3 selections or more come draft time, otherwise you could potentially just hoard a list of 50 up until that point.

Disagree, part of the challenge is making sure you have cut down the list spot to make your 3 selections or more come draft time, otherwise you could potentially just hoard a list of 50 up until that point.
Fair point - I don't see how that could happen as there's no free agency, but maybe just leave the draft until we know their positions however.

I've got plenty to choose from on the cutting front so I'm good to go on that front!

For me drafting and trading is really the skill that makes these leagues challenging and enjoyable. So I think the draft should be timed to run at the same time (and even before) the AFL draft, which means that de-listings and trading should be complete by then so you know what player types you require at the draft.

It also adds a little bit of mystery to the whole competition and I reckon that is important. Come December there will be draftees that disappoint and some that inspire simply because of the way SC categorizes the players into their positions. It also means that coaches need to be across the incoming draftees.

For me drafting and trading is really the skill that makes these leagues challenging and enjoyable. So I think the draft should be timed to run at the same time (and even before) the AFL draft, which means that de-listings and trading should be complete by then so you know what player types you require at the draft.

It also adds a little bit of mystery to the whole competition and I reckon that is important. Come December there will be draftees that disappoint and some that inspire simply because of the way SC categorizes the players into their positions. It also means that coaches need to be across the incoming draftees.
+1

1. Callum Sinclair (R) - 97.3
  2. Sean Darcy (R) - 74
  3. Tom Boyd (R) - 67.1
  4. Mason Cox (R/KF) - 61.7
  1. Tom Mitchell (M) - 129.1
  2. Marcus Bontempelli (M) - 104
  3. Luke Parker (M) - 103.5
  4. Ed Curnow (M) - 101.7
  5. Lachie Whitfield (M) - 99.9
  6. Rory Sloane (M) - 96.6
  7. Jared Polec (M) - 94.6
  8. Jaeger O'Meara (M) - 92.7
  9. Sam Powell-Pepper (M) - 78.4
  10. Cam Guthrie (M) - 63.8
  11. Daniel Hannebery (M) - 60.1
  12. Paddy Dow (M) - 59.6
  1. Isaac Heeney (M/F) - 97.5
  2. Shane Edwards (M/F) - 86.7
  3. Rhys Mathieson (M/F) - 67.2
  4. Darcy Fogarty (M/F) - 44.7
  1. Tom Hawkins (KF) - 101.8
  2. Ben Brown (KF) - 83.1
  3. Josh Schache (KF) - 52.5
  4. Cam McCarthy (KF) - 50.4
  5. Sam Weiderman (KF) - 49.7
  1. Luke Breust (GF) - 95.1
  2. Jack Martin (GF) - 80.9
  3. Alex Neal-Bullen (GF) - 74.1
  4. Jake Stringer (GF) - 70.7
  5. Will Hayward (GF) - 59.9
  1. Dane Rampe (KD) - 77.8
  2. Robbie Tarrant (KD) - 74.2
  3. Jake Lever (KD) - 69
  4. Daniel McStay (KD) - 55.4
  1. Jack Crisp (GD) - 95.8
  2. Paul Seedsman (GD/M) - 81.1
  3. Darcy Byrne-Jones (GD) - 71.8
  4. Dylan Roberton (GD) - 68.5
  5. Ryan Burton (GD) - 65.7
  6. Ed Vickers-Willis (GD) - 65.1
  7. Lachie Plowman (GD) - 63.7
  8. Riley Bonner (GD) - 63.7

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruck:
S. Martin 106
A. Sandilands 97
O. McInerney (f) 58
B. Longer 53

Mid:
J. Macrae 127
D. Heppell 101
B. Gibbs 96
J. Steven 95
J. Steele 94
D. Prestia 89
J. Harmes 83 (f?)
E. Langdon 82 (f?)
B. Fiorini 81
L. Dunstan 80
A. Hall 79
J. Worpel 72
T. Rockliff

KPD:
J. Mcgovern 89
H. Grundy 77
T. Barrass 73
L. Jones 70

Defender:
J. Short 86
J. Macmillan 81
H. Hartlett (m) 80
M. Blicavs 74
B. Ellis (m) 71
J. Finlayson (m) 70
J. Pittard 67
R. Clarke (m) 65
N. Coffield 52
N. Murphy

KPF:
T. MacDonald 97
H. Mckay 65
T. Walker 63
D. Moore 49
J. Battle 47

Forward:
M. Robinson (m) 91
J. Johannisen 86
J. Billings 80
L. Dahlhaus (m) 77
J. Higgins 72
M. Weller 61
Q. Narkle (m) 49
W. Setterfield 0

Last edited:
I feel like the first trade is slightly in Left_Billings favour, not enough to veto the trade, but enough to comment on aha :)
I thought it was pretty fair.

Treloar averaging 111 vs Lloyd 112 both 25 years old. Acres averaged 89 in his 5th year and Doedee chalked up an 82 average playing 8 more games and if you take Blakes 144 out (a performance he never emulated) then his average falls back to about 83. It's a calculated risk to bring in a defender that I think will find another 8 points in his career and could average 90 as a defender for the next 11 years. Florent for 10 could go either way, but represented an opportunity for me to exchange for a higher production player.

I feel like the first trade is slightly in Left_Billings favour, not enough to veto the trade, but enough to comment on aha :)
Really? I thought it was pretty even, I lose the highest average def and whoever CF picks up with pick 10 would only have to average 63 points to make it even points wise, and you’d argue Doedee to go up and Acres to go down in average. i was really pushing for a premium mid as all i really had in there was Lachie Neale and CF wanted to solidify his defense.

simonoz Bogan Juniors St Kilda Death majortinkle Phoenix_9 Jonzi Orasia Fantazio PetWussy Left_Billings

Hey guys. A couple of tough questions to be asked, before we get too far into trading.
  1. Is there anybody here who is thinking that they need to relinquish their coaching position for the 2019 season? We get coaching fatigue every year, and we should get ahead of anyone who may be thinking that 2019 is going to be too demanding for them to be meaningfully involved in this league.
  2. If we are all still committed to the new season, should we contemplate increasing the competition? Or are we happy with the current structure of ten teams. Not trying to push it in any direction, and my vote is to stay as is, so don't shoot the messenger. Just putting it out there.
  3. I know we use SC for scoring, but UF does allow us certain flexibilities. We could allocate positioning based on actual in-season deployments, especially with regard to KEY position players. So if you have a forward who has clearly been reshaped as a defender, ala Liam Jones, and all the official AFL websites are currently showing him as a defender should we adjust his position in UF and make the change immediately available to the lucky coach. Again I think the official AFL ratings site is the best place to ascertain at the moment KEY position status.

simonoz Bogan Juniors St Kilda Death majortinkle Phoenix_9 Jonzi Orasia Fantazio PetWussy Left_Billings

Hey guys. A couple of tough questions to be asked, before we get too far into trading.
  1. Is there anybody here who is thinking that they need to relinquish their coaching position for the 2019 season? We get coaching fatigue every year, and we should get ahead of anyone who may be thinking that 2019 is going to be too demanding for them to be meaningfully involved in this league.
  2. If we are all still committed to the new season, should we contemplate increasing the competition? Or are we happy with the current structure of ten teams. Not trying to push it in any direction, and my vote is to stay as is, so don't shoot the messenger. Just putting it out there.
  3. I know we use SC for scoring, but UF does allow us certain flexibilities. We could allocate positioning based on actual in-season deployments, especially with regard to KEY position players. So if you have a forward who has clearly been reshaped as a defender, ala Liam Jones, and all the official AFL websites are currently showing him as a defender should we adjust his position in UF and make the change immediately available to the lucky coach. Again I think the official AFL ratings site is the best place to ascertain at the moment KEY position status.
In regards to increasing the competition, I do have a bloke who would be very keen to jump on board if we wanted to go down that path.

Like cursing I'm not saying we necessarily should I'm just putting it out there that I have one definite. I guess this also relates to anyone who doesn't think they can continue that we do have a replacement available.

I think 10 teams works perfectly but I definitely wouldn’t be against moving to 12 teams. My biggest issue is how!? Do they get to do a GC/GWS and sign a couple contracted players form each club? I just can’t see how it would work unless we started the drafting process from scratch, which I would be against!

Senior List
5 x KPD = Hamling (71) 25yo/ Marchbank (65) 21yo/ Austin (84) 23yo/ Talia (70) 27yo/ Hombsch (50) 25yo

8 x DEF = Yeo (108) 25yo/ Hurn (96) 31yo/ Webster (87) 25yo/ B.Smith (87) 26yo/ Rich (79) 28yo/ Salem (82) 23yo/ Kolodjashnij (67) 23yo/ Thurlow (60) 24yo

12 x MID = Danger (121) 28yo/ Cotch (90) 28yo/ Beams (102) 28yo/ Swallow (90) 26yo / Liberatore (13) 26yo/ Scully (19) 27yo/ Ebert (86) 28yo/ Holman (67) 23yo/ Myers (77) 29yo/ Kerridge (83) 25yo/ Tyson (75) 25yo/ Miles (90) 26yo

9 x FWD = Wingard (88) 25yo/ D.Smith (97) 25yo/ Mclean (94) 22yo/ Lambert (89) 27yo/ Cockatoo (39) 22yo/ W.Rioli (58) 23yo/ Lester (68) 26yo/ S.Gray (70) 26yo/ J.Thomas (76) 27yo

6 x KPF = Hogan (92) 23yo/ Dixon (78) 28yo/ Daniher (56) 24yo/ S.Reid (104) 26yo/ Membrey (73) 24yo/ Bruce (70) 26yo

4 x RUC = Naitanui (96) 28yo/ McEvoy (101) 29yo/ L.Pierce (62) 24yo/ Lobbe (74) 29yo

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back