World Cup SBS commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the Slater/Foz feud has seen an end to the Fox Sports/SPS co-broadcast on Friday night a-league matches. At least with him commentating with Basheer.

I agree with Slater about Foz's commentating. But to put that out there on social media is pretty dumb, especially given the aforementioned relationship with their respective employers.

There is a bit too much love for Martin Tyler IMO. He's still good, but there are a number that have gone past him. I like Peter Drury's work who has done a few matches. Can't believe they are still dusting off Gary Bloom.

I guess the Slater/Foz feud has seen an end to the Fox Sports/SPS co-broadcast on Friday night a-league matches. At least with him commentating with Basheer.

I agree with Slater about Foz's commentating. But to put that out there on social media is pretty dumb, especially given the aforementioned relationship with their respective employers.

There is a bit too much love for Martin Tyler IMO. He's still good, but there are a number that have gone past him. I like Peter Drury's work who has done a few matches. Can't believe they are still dusting off Gary Bloom.
Martin Tyler is ok but he has to be the most over hyped commentator out there.

Not sure why people would complain about the commentators at this world cup outside of that tool Foster. After your eardums are tortured by Dwayne Russell and BT over the weekend, these commentators are a pleasure to listen to.

I can't stand the accents of the panel.

Must be a Sydney thing. They all sound foreign to me.

I think it's a great thing. All we hear on tv when watching the footy is commentary of the 'blokey' nature, all this "he's a ripping bloke" garbage.

There should be more ethnic commentators / panellists on Australian tv.

If channel 9 got the coverage, imagine James Brayshaw doing the in studio stuff, now that would be painful!

Last edited:
I think it's a great thing. All we hear on tv when watching the footy is commentary of the 'blokey' nature, all this "he's a ripping bloke" garbage.

There should be more ethnic commentators / panellists on Australian tv.

If channel 9 got the coverage, imagine James Brayshaw doing the in studio stuff, now that would be painful!

It's the accent though that's completely foreign to me.

I hear it on the Pod cast the Bigfooty boys do on here.

It's not something you ever here in Western Australia and i guess thats why it sounds off-putting.

It's the accent though that's completely foreign to me.

I hear it on the Pod cast the Bigfooty boys do on here.

It's not something you ever here in Western Australia and i guess thats why it sounds off-putting.

Well if you are ever going to get used to it, a month of world cup soccer is the best way to do so, haha!

It's common here in Melbourne, so it doesn't register as foreign to me, but it's foreign to me in terms of hearing it on the three major free to air channels. The more different accents on tv the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only logged on to give Bloom a plug, and this was the first mention I found. I reckon he's got a great way with words. Who cares how old he is. During the France-Nigeria game he came up with a cracker: "And there's a Frenchman with his head stuck in the net, like a giant fish."

Tyler is a didactic windbag, full of useless crap that nobody cares about or needs to know. He really has become a droning bore.

Slightly off-topic, but SBS have been showing classic matches from previous tournaments. Any idea why the commentary on those films has been over-dubbed? There is no way known, for example, that the commentator during the Portugal - North Korea match of 1966 would have had that peculiar urban metrosexual Anglo-Australian accent that has only come to the fore in the last 10 years or so. The WWII speeches of Churchill, Roosevelt etc (obviously saved in digital format) are still perfectly audible today, so I don't see why the original commentary on old films wouldn't be acceptable.

Tyler is a didactic windbag, full of useless crap that nobody cares about or needs to know. He really has become a droning bore.

Yeah I've had enough of him now. Needs a more lively character alongside him to break up the monotone delivery of football trivia.

Tyler is majestic but you're both right in that he doesn't really get excited at all. Peter Drury is my favourite.

You would've barely known Lukaka scored the second goal today in ET if you weren't watching it. His tone was the same as if the keeper was hoofing up a goal kick.

Yeah I've had enough of him now. Needs a more lively character alongside him to break up the monotone delivery of football trivia.

Be careful what you wish for......

Brian%20Taylor.jpg

Him commentating well, anything at the WC is a horrible thought. The African player's hairdos. The Cameroon players fighting among themselves. Tim Cahill's goal vs the Netherlands...

Or giving players stupid nicknames like "My Man Messi", "The Human Meatball Chiellini", "Big Boy Benzema" and "James Rodriguez from the Colombian Footy Factory".

Him commentating well, anything at the WC is a horrible thought. The African player's hairdos. The Cameroon players fighting among themselves. Tim Cahill's goal vs the Netherlands...
He'll be busy raving on about the refs foam to be able to call any action anyway ;)

"Darce, check out that can of foam from the ref!"

Huh? Why would you think a Twitter argument between two commentators means an entire broadcasting contract has been cancelled?

It won't and it shouldn't. But don't underestimate the ego's at play here. I definitely can't see Slater commentating with SBS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back