Society/Culture SBS: Is Australia racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch it, so won't comment on the content.

But I do know the title, and the binary nature of the question "Is Australia Racist" is probably the first mistake they have made. (apart from being a nice loaded and divisive question that may maximise viewership).

"How racist is Australia" or "How is Australia racist" would be more appropriate titles IMHO if you want to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.

Asking "is Australia racist" is about as good as asking "Is Australia hot"
This is pretty much it. When they called it "Is Australia Racist?" they knew it would be a pretty boring program if the answer turned out to be "No".

This is pretty much it. When they called it "Is Australia Racist?" they knew it would be a pretty boring program if the answer turned out to be "No".
Actually we scored quite well against other nations. There are much worse countries out there.

I didn't watch it, so won't comment on the content.

But I do know the title, and the binary nature of the question "Is Australia Racist" is probably the first mistake they have made. (apart from being a nice loaded and divisive question that may maximise viewership).

"How racist is Australia" or "How is Australia racist" would be more appropriate titles IMHO if you want to have a meaningful discussion on the topic.

Asking "is Australia racist" is about as good as asking "Is Australia hot"
It is a title meant to attract viewers. If they used a more neutral title and got fewer people watching, they'd be criticised for low TV ratings.

You pay tax in Australia?

Yep

someone has to pay for the ABC and the **** n bums channel.

Civilisation would end without them.

It is a title meant to attract viewers. If they used a more neutral title and got fewer people watching, they'd be criticised for low TV ratings.

Filling up the Today Tonight vacuum eh?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep

someone has to pay for the ABC and the **** n bums channel.

Civilisation would end without them.

Filling up the Today Tonight vacuum eh?
If you work out what percentage goes to the ABC/SBS I will fund raise and give it back just to stop you whinging.

If you work out what percentage goes to the ABC/SBS I will fund raise and give it back just to stop you whinging.

How dare people choose for what media they consume.

Lets raise taxes and deliver everyone the Guardian everyday (may as well ban Murdoch at the same time)

Same perverted logic.

"Gold Coast Meter Maids Losing Their Jobs To Horny Swedish Women!"

Didnt realise SBS had morphed from ethnic soft pr0n to hard left snowflakery.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/

categories include.

Face up to racism
black lives matter
the queer binge
fearless females
cyber punk

Last edited:
How dare people choose for what media they consume.

Lets raise taxes and deliver everyone the Guardian everyday (may as well ban Murdoch at the same time)

Same perverted logic.

Offer stands. Welfare for the rich - get i on it. What is the dollar cost to you of the ABC?

Didnt see the show but my thoughs on the op question: the answer has to be no.

Theres no parameters as to what a racist nation is; Australia doesnt really have any institutionalised racism except for laws and programs which target racial groups that are at a social disadvantage.

Of course that doesnt mean that there is no racism in the society/fringes of our culture; we have our share of racists of every stripe. But to use that as justification of saying Australia is, as a nation, racist, would condemn every country in the world on the same grounds. So the only answer which has any meaning is 'no'.

As a side note, living in the US has exposed me to the concept a bit. Australian racism is on the whole based on ignorance; often innocet ignorance. Whereas in the US, racism is more visceral and deliberate. Thats all generalisation of course; and im sure it would be different coming and going from different areas in both countries. But thats been my perception of it.

My wife isnt white and she says shes more comfortable in AUS for that. She gets stared at fot being peculiar, whereas in the US she gets stared at with anger, usually because shes with someone of a different race. White people as a whole dont give a s**t who you marry, but many minority groups view others as somehow trecherous for marrying a white person. As a white guy, that environment was really the only time Ive knowingly faced discrimination.

And somewhat tangentally; i think in the coming years, non-white racism will probably grow as an issue. Racism in the west is very much focused on whites, which is fair enough hostorically and where we still are in many places. But theres a big slice of the problem being overlooked.

In the least racist camp you have people who live and work with a significant number of people of different backgrounds on a daily basis and don't make a big deal of it because that's life, and then you have people that don't and do. The most vocal anti-racism folk are typically white people who live in middle class white suburbs whose only exposure to non-white people is sharing Waleed's latest piece on social media.

Theres no parameters as to what a racist nation is; Australia doesnt really have any institutionalised racism except for laws and programs which target racial groups that are at a social disadvantage.

Of course that doesnt mean that there is no racism in the society/fringes of our culture; we have our share of racists of every stripe. But to use that as justification of saying Australia is, as a nation, racist, would condemn every country in the world on the same grounds. So the only answer which has any meaning is 'no'.

As a side note, living in the US has exposed me to the concept a bit. Australian racism is on the whole based on ignorance; often innocet ignorance. Whereas in the US, racism is more visceral and deliberate. Thats all generalisation of course; and im sure it would be different coming and going from different areas in both countries. But thats been my perception of it.

My wife isnt white and she says shes more comfortable in AUS for that. She gets stared at fot being peculiar, whereas in the US she gets stared at with anger, usually because shes with someone of a different race. White people as a whole dont give a s**t who you marry, but many minority groups view others as somehow trecherous for marrying a white person. As a white guy, that environment was really the only time Ive knowingly faced discrimination.

And somewhat tangentally; i think in the coming years, non-white racism will probably grow as an issue. Racism in the west is very much focused on whites, which is fair enough hostorically and where we still are in many places. But theres a big slice of the problem being overlooked.

Probably explains where some of the self-loathing cloud surfers are coming from.

Escaping their reality by immersing themselves in American culture only to project a faux cultural disenfranchisement of Australia. Triggered by a picture of your National flag is a strange place to be.

In other words, some of them self-inflict their own continual torture and don't really know whether they are here nor there while they take it out on others.

I'd have to say that is being a bit naive. NT three strikes laws just happen to target all the crimes most likely to involve young Aboriginal males. No three strikes on fraud or corporate shenanigans. In fact those guys get a law to have their activities removed from the public record in the case of some judgements.

I love SBS and Viceland for their movies, many of which are cult 80s Regan era classics that feature high amounts of sexism, racism, homophobia... you know, a conservatives wet dream that is at odds with their social programming and message. Whilst I want to say first and foremost that I don't believe for a second that watching and enjoying these films translates to having those attitudes, it has always struck me as a little curious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back