SC 2019 - A year in review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now would be a good time as any to start this thread, to pass the time away and share our SC thoughts whilst it fresh in our minds.

Apart from the winner, not many people are fully happy with their initial team, trades and other moves through the year.
But, heck why don't we share all these thoughts:
1. Your initial team vs your final team - highlights and regrets, who you've kept
2. Your trades history - wins and losses
3. Your rank history - how did you start and finished
4. Overall - your major wins and regrets; lessons learnt

I'll post mine soon...

My best ever finish but also my most dissapointing.

Got as high as 2.9k had a full team but then slid to 5.7k

The only mistake i possibly made was rage trading fyfe and dusty in the same round but then i turned fyfe into neale and dusty into rozee for 2 weeks then got boak. But still had trades to spare. Boak and Neale where very good for me.

Getting Robbie gray was a mistake but all my other trade ins were good.

What ****ed me this year was the mid game injuries.

Fyfe
Atkins
Crouch
Whitfield x 2
Cogs
Zerrett.

And i should have started with less rookies on field.

I've ended up with a rank of 1,189; my 2nd best finish for the year, and yet I'm disappointed
There's a lot of luck involved, but here is my year in review

1. Your initial team vs your final team - highlights and regrets, who you've kept
Starting with MPM team kept me competitive all year
Ended up keeping too many mid-pricers; who can't be trusted to perform at the pointy end of the season
Next year - I'll probably start with MPM, but not the same extent

What worked
  • Starting with Gawndy has helped to eliminate 3-4 unnecessary ruck trades that I would normally make
  • ROB Trades
  • Trading in Houli

What didn't work
  • Traded Balta too early
  • Milera was a flop!
  • Didn't get Stack and Marshall
  • Keeping JKelly through his injuries
  • Having 6 players from one team (GWS)

All the other trades are reasonable - give and take, I've made some good calls and some bad calls - but, overall ok

Peaked at 388
Stayed in top 1K for quite a few weeks, but the last round was a killer - as my mid-pricers and PODs stunked up

Going for 60/40 league vs overall rank was a bad idea
I've end up compromising and not happy with either
I've played too conservative at times:
  • Keeping JKelly through his injuries - to save a trade
  • Getting covers and not spending to get best players e.g. Hoff Ruck insurance, where I could have got Dunkly in earlier
These two moves alone would have been enough to keep me in the top 500 - me think

Starting with MPM team kept me competitive all year; but, I need to be more aggressive in trading them out earlier for top line premos
I was trading too conservatively. See how the year pans out, but I won't be leaving too much on the bench for rainy days that never come

Thank you all for your banter and advice, SC has been frustrating, but all the banter made it fun
I'm not too sure how I can watch footy without SC now :eek:

I've put all the attachments below

My RD01 Team: MPM

My RD23 Team: Just too weak

After initially having a bit of a melt that my highest ever score actually sent me down the rankings, can't be anything but happy with my final ranking of 152. Comfortably best finish ever (previous was 541 all the way back in 2010) and 4th top 1k finish so at least I can do something right... apparently.

Highlights
Starting with Zac Williams
Starting with the Worpedo
Starting with Neale
Not being a cheap campaigner and shelling out to start with Gawndy
Starting with Dunkley and not trading him out when Bevo was being a massive campaigner in the first 6 weeks
Reliable Captain Bines :moustache:

Regrets
Not starting with the Gull and missing all of his huge pre-Round 10 scores
Jack Crisp; could have started with Thighmaster Hurn instead
Heeney; started with him, traded him out after Round 2, roughied him back in at Round 6 and proceeded to melt about him for the rest of the year. Conditional blonde flog
Not starting with Boak (or ever owning Boak for that matter)
Trading in Sicily for an average of barely 90
TBH my forward line in general is a pretty big regret; missed two of the best scorers (Boak and Marshall) and those that took their place were pretty ordinary. Even missed the good rookies on that line (ie Baker, Larkey) and brought in potatoes like Begley, Corbett and Robbie Young instead

Wins
Bringing in both Stack and RoB in R5
Bringing in the Bont early
Yeo as last mid upgrade in R15
The Hoff as floating R3/F7 in R16 for the sole fact that he delivered 125 that week covering Big Max and catapulted me from 880ish to 250 or so
Trading campaignerstable in R7 because * Chris Scott
Atkins -> Macrae in R9
Houli in R23 for Clark got me an extra 60 points so I guess that counts

Losses
The aforementioned Roughy manoeuvre of Heeney in R6
Corbett over Larkey in R8
Sicily in general
s**t forward rookies - Corbett, Young, Begley
Never trading in Marshall (KOTD prick, G@GF)
Laird in R7; thought he had come back to form but in reality I ended up purchasing him at near peak
LUKE ******* RYAN
Robbie Gray - looked like a masterstroke early but eventually Kent Hinkley stuck his nose in it and the rest is history

Started the year a little slowly (as usual) being placed @ 27k in Round 1 but was inside 3k at Round 8 and inside the top 1k after the byes. Peaked at 70 overall in R21 and was a little disappointed to throw in my worst 2 rounds (by round position) since the shitstorm that was R13 to end the year outside the top 100 @ 152 but still my highest finish ever and one to be proud of.

I used to be pretty quick to trade out any injury more than 1 week but holding those players (Zilliams, Cripps, Whitfield the first time) seemed to reward me this year and I guess that's something I'll go by in future.
Getting 3 midpricers "right" to start the year (Zilliams, Worpel, Brouch) was huge and I'll be looking to do similar next year, especially up forward where our best option is looking like being Jack Billings.
For next year I might have to pull the trigger earlier on those more "speculative" picks that show themselves (ie Houli, Marshall) because they ended up in the top scoring players on their lines and if I owned them as opposed to the likes of Ryan and Gray I may have had a top 100 finish to show for it.

All in all a good year and a platform to back myself and take some risks next year. Sky is the limit :moustache:

Got a rank ~15,000th. My worst yet.

Burnt through trades too early and ran out of trades. I was stupid enough to pick injury-prone players.

I nailed a few, like starting off with Whitfield and Williams but really buggered myself with filling the rest of my team up with faults.

A great year! Best ever finish by far. Looking back now thinking of where I could've made up the points to get some prize money.
All of this while barely watching any games on tv (due to my little 1yo who would rather watch Blippi) and attending the least games for quite some time due to us being shite.

Wins:
Up until round 11, no injuries to my premos
My first trades of the year in round 3. Corrective premo trades of dusty and dev smith for neale and tkelly
Getting RoMo in round 9 for 433k which is after his gawn matchup and his late out
Balta to Chol, 1 trade used, provided cover for the whole year (except last round), couldn't have timed that trade any better
Keeping Brodie Smith over Hore
Being able to hold Duursma for whole season as bench cover

Losses:
Trading in Whitfield round 11 to play 3qtrs of a game, getting injured, hurting me through the byes
Trading out ROB too soon, believing Sauce Jacobs would win job back before byes
GWS mids have been cogs and jelly only to be injured soon after

Strategy:
Getting the right rookies and holding for as long as possible for cover and cash gen purposes.
I'm all for min funds on bench (d8, m10-11, f8) for more funds on field, especially once byes have finished.
I planned for byes spreading my starting team premos over the byes but I only broke even in my ranking (wonder if it was due to hurn and whitfield being out?)

Hope this helps some for next season.

The climb up the ranks was nice!!

Apr 5, 2014
Peramangk country Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My SuperCoach team
View attachment 736148

A great year! Best ever finish by far. Looking back now thinking of where I could've made up the points to get some prize money.
All of this while barely watching any games on tv (due to my little 1yo who would rather watch Blippi) and attending the least games for quite some time due to us being s**t.

Wins:
My first trades of the year in round 3. Corrective premo trades of dusty and dev smith for neale and tkelly
Getting RoMo in round 9 for 433k which is after his gawn matchup and his late out
Balta to Chol, 1 trade used, provided cover for the whole year (except last round), couldn't have timed that trade any better

Losses:
Trading in Whitfield round 11 to play 3qtrs of a game, getting injured, hurting me through the byes

Strategy:
Getting the right rookies and holding for as long as possible for cover and cash gen purposes.
I'm all for min funds on bench (d8, m10-11, f8) for more funds on field, especially once byes have finished.
I planned for byes spreading my starting team premos over the byes but I only broke even in my ranking (wonder if it was due to hurn and whitfield being out?)

View attachment 736141

View attachment 736135

View attachment 736138
View attachment 736140
Nice recovery after being ranked 58k after round 1!

View attachment 736148

All of this while barely watching any games on tv (due to my little 1yo who would rather watch Blippi) and attending the least games for quite some time due to us being s**t.

Wins:

Losses:

Strategy:

View attachment 736141

View attachment 736135

View attachment 736138
View attachment 736140
Well done - a great year!
Have you been in top 1k previously?
I actually like the hayden call nice & early
Also, you've got Kelly out when injured would had helped your ranking

Well done - a great year!
Have you been in top 1k previously?
I actually like the hayden call nice & early
Also, you've got Kelly out when injured would had helped your ranking

Previous best was just inside 5k
Hayden pick would have been even better if the poor bloke didn't get injured in debut
Kelly out was an easy choice for me, still had a few trades, plus being a calf injury and gws being cautious with injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back