Status
Not open for further replies.

Machineman

Debutant
May 14, 2011
Bundoora
AFL Club
Melbourne
I have never tried pure guns and rookies, but I have never had more than 50/50 success in my midpricers over the last few years and I reckon it is stuffing my starts to seasons. You then either waste trades getting them out or carry too many crap scores. What is the downside of going pure guns and rookies if I'm trying to hit top 5K next year? Is there some theory out there?

TIA

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I generally have a policy of no 2nd year players ......now Rozee was a 2nd year player at a club that LIED about Rockcliff's injury in 2019

So I speak as a victim ........now guess when I brought Rozee in and when I traded him out .....it's an easy answer

View attachment 963420

My biggest issue year on year is club medical dept's that "hide" injuries, such as Rozee's heel

Fyfe this year, has a hamstring and put out as a 1 week injury ......look at how many Coaches suffered as he was "managed" when he came back

So my advice would be ......be very careful of 2nd year players, the 2nd year blues are not a fantasy
Except for Matty Rowell of course

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Except for Matty Rowell of course
I guess you could classify Rowell as not a 2nd year player .....most 2nd year players that have had some success, tend to fall back a bit, and then bounce back in year 3

Rowell I'd suggest will have unfinished business ......but again it'll depend on his price, and much like AFL rules, who knows what that maybe

Dec 7, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Manchester United, All Blacks
I have never tried pure guns and rookies, but I have never had more than 50/50 success in my midpricers over the last few years and I reckon it is stuffing my starts to seasons. You then either waste trades getting them out or carry too many crap scores. What is the downside of going pure guns and rookies if I'm trying to hit top 5K next year? Is there some theory out there?

TIA
I'm terrible at picking the right mid-pricers, the only ones I get right are the fallen premo's, never get the right breakout stars, so I didn't try this year, only took Dev Smith and Doc. And I'm having my best year, go figure.

Regarding GnR the key is getting the right premo's imo as it's easy enough to correct a couple of rookies, but if you miss someone who starts fast (like Neale the last two years) it's hard to make up ground.

i wonder if the best way is to take every starting rookie you can (assuming there are enough) and a few SP's and keep 1-2 mil in the bank, then you can jump on the breakout players and not get stuck with the under performers. You would start slow the first few weeks though and it would require some nerve/big balls. Doubt I'm brave enough to try it.

I guess this is the place.

FINAL RANKING - 7,654 ( highest ever )
SEASON HIGH - 2,783 ( Rd 2 )
SEASON LOW - 27,039 ( Rd 1 )
SEASON AVG - 2,120
Fullscreen capture 21092020 110307 PM.bmp.jpg

BEST TRADE - Sturt > Merrett
WORST TRADES - Howe to Sicily ( and not Ryan ) - Brander > Yeo

But easily the biggest clanger was Lloyd > Hurn in Rd 2
Only cost me 729 points ( and a top 2k finish doing the maths )

HEROES
Lachie *en Neale , what a little warrior.

NEVER AGAINS
Mitch Duncan
Dev
Nick Haynes ( if Davis and Taylor aren't around )

Bit dirty to not win a GF but i can't complain , to have my highest ever finish in THIS season of all seasons is a little bit of personal validation.

Love youse kents , seeya next year.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 7.03.11 am.png

I have never finished inside the top 10 000 before so this is completely unexpected. I want to thank everybody on this board, because your direct and indirect advice has helped make this happen throughout the year. Without you guys, I never would have traded in Jack Viney in round 2, allowing me to get Lachie Neale. I never would have taken the punt on Jordan Ridley. I never would have held under performing rookies while they still had money to make. i never would have recovered from a 59 346 rank after round 1.

Not only that, but this board is absolutely hysterical. Funniest place on this whole website. I hope at times this year I was able to add to that with a well placed gif or self deprecating anecdote.

Thank you all! I already can't wait for next season.

1600729592951.png

Finally after 13 ******* years of pain I finish in the top 1k.

Starting Neale and Macrae Danger. Big ticks. Neale wasnt in my plans at all until the day before rnd 1. Oof.

Starting Laird over Siciliy was a big win in the end wasnt looking that way even though Laird wasnt a complete disaster before his move to the midfield.

Being a bit luckier with mid game injuries this year. Only copped Fyfe Simpkin Dooedee and Cripps in the last round. The key being that they werent huge pods when it happened. Unlike last year when I got struck with Atkins, Ballastic Flog, Cogs 0 and Hore 3.

Should have traded Fyfe after he went PBT SavDog23. Though I did trade Fyfe to Dusty the night he scored 180. But I did learn from this and traded gawn and doodee right away. The biggest win from this lesson was trading Doc to Gull in prelim week. The injury cloud made the decision easy.

Gawn to Nic Nat was a win maybe should not have even traded nic nat back to gawn lol.

Dev to Tomahawk kinda wasted trade in the end as they pretty much broke even. But it was kinda fun having tomahawk especially when he scored the 173. His last 2 games were horrible but it was really my only who gives a * trade of the year and Dev was really stinking it up and looked beyond cooked.

Really nailed the rookies and cash cows this year. Pretty much had all the good ones. Pittojet and Draper key there. Even the ones I didnt cash out like Starc Schoenpig and Rivers Riccardi. become useful during the byes and last part of the season with some good scores. Even though I missed fielding the Rivers and Starc Tons.

Not having the money for jack martin and being forced to get Chad for my last update was win too lol.

Mistakes. Not starting the Gull ofcourse. Starting Whitfield and Dusty when I had greenwood and petracca for a lot of the preseason.
Not starting Oliver despite knowing he was good value didnt think he had 120+ in him.

Last edited:
2020-09-22 (2).png

A pretty decent recovery after a horror start put me well on the backfoot, but was harmed by an absolute stinker on Prelim week (thanks to Dawson getting ruled out post-trades in the same week Riccardi was rested, amongst other things). Did an excellent job going from 30k up to the Top 3000 but fell out of it after the Prelim week.

Ultimately the killer issues were:

* Mid-priced gambles on Clark and Dawson. Dawson did pay off somewhat eventually but for a long time I was carrying passengers at D3/4. I thought both would break out after the way they finished last year but it took far too long for St Kilda to play Clark on the ball and Dawson
* Bont and Cripps over Neale and Macrae. Cripps never looked comfortable all year and Bont was largely poor in the first few games. I also felt the need to get Neale at his price peak as I feared he'd otherwise be unaffordable. Which in fairness there was truth towards, but it all could've been mitigated by starting him.
* Letting BF talk me into McPherson over Petracca. * you.

I wonder what would've been the "ideal" side to start with. Might been a fun experiment.

swindle

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
1600753946195.png

1st time in top 10k after 3 years, Round 3 screwed me early on with an absurd amount of donuts (Ridley, JKelly, Trac, Oliver, Viney, Gawn).
Gave up Round 16-18 and messed up my VC Loopholes by forgetting, cost me ~500 points (had Gawn 150 and forgot to C donut and ended up with Neales 55 lol)

Meh: Starting Ceglar, Trading in Simpkin though got some of his big scores early on, Dunkley & Howe injuries early on (part of the game though) and getting rid of Smith just as he started to come good but he was shitting me so no loss, also had Cripps whole year but so did many others

Bad: Trading in JMartin, Luko and Williams also starting with JKelly over Neale completely set me behind

Good: Trading in Bont, Trac, Ridley at basically best value and then trading in MCrouch who avg 128 last 5 rounds.

Edit: Lesson: Try to get in durable players even if slightly lower "ceiling", players like JKelly caused me to either cop a donut or field a s**t rookie early on

Last edited:
SEASON 2020 REVIEW

Overall rank = 1048 :cool:
Highest round score = 2387 (rd 7) 🤮 HOW THE * DID I NOT SCORE OVER 2400 THIS YEAR!!!
Best round rank = 1064 (rd 16)
Worst round rank = 72414 (rd 3) :mad:
Highest overall rank = 1042 (rd 17)
Lowest overall rank = 42305 (rd 1) :'( ANOTHER YEAR, ANOTHER GREAT STARTING SIDE FML

Best trade = round 5, Ridley and Petracca in for injured Fyfe and Howe
Worst trade = round 14, Josh Kelly in... got KO'd, scored 70 and I traded him out in round 16

BF Div 6 = Highest overall points; finished 9th
BF Tragic 2 = Highest overall points 🤑; minor premiership; lost in a prelim

1600756590853.png

1600756521885.png

1600756598150.png

1600757489441.png

Bring on 2021. Hopefully covid-19 *s off and covid-69 doesn't come to * up another year

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
It's over! What a relief.

Absolutely horrible season, with a final round that really drove the point home.

Had Petracca as VC but was too slow to get the C onto a non player and ended up with the Cripps 26 as my captain's score. Walters being out meant a donut, Shuey out stuck me with Shoenberg's 35 and Docherty out meant getting Rivers' 69. Then there was Draper (32) and Haynes (34). Ended with a final round score of just 1989.

This bizarro season with all it's uncertainty and strange results led me to abandon all the normal rules and experiment like crazy. It didn't work and it will be back to following all those rules next season. I also had an uncanny knack this season of consistently jumping the wrong way with rookies, missing the best of them and going with ones who couldn't hold their places instead. All this resulted in finishing with a season rank of just 37,488th.

Bowed but not broken, I'm already looking forward to next season and a big comeback. It will be a season filled with opportunity if things get back to normal, because the stats from this crazy season have the potential to be very misleading.

Although my own season has been effectively dead for weeks it's been great getting on here and talking SC with so many great people. The mix of well informed discussion and great humour makes this site a highlight of the football season. In the words of Jeff Fenech, "I love youse all".

It's also been great following the fortunes of so many here who have had truly great seasons. I can't remember a season where so many of our posters have been at the pointy end of the competition. Barry Roundhouse's performance was phenomenal. He's had a great year and we've gained a wonderful new regular poster. Others including Verdun, Vast and Seymour Skinner, (apologies to those I missed), also had amazing seasons. As much as we all want to win this comp ourselves, we get a lot of pleasure from seeing other regulars doing so very well.

Time to freshen up before returning in the new year to start putting together next years squad. See you all then.

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
Same as old mate Hoddo above I played around with risks I would never even contemplate unless I was in the running top 100.

I sold my house right in the middle of the season so I bailed on Super Coach, sorry kents I missed the bants.:'(

So i thought feck this IS the year try some strategy, thoughts was to sideways premos at the expense of trading in rooks, basically value shopping with the byes in mind, good, solid Super Coach rules yeah kents?

Always admired players like toxic playing around with value, and I have been criticized on this board for being a premo High Shopper...No Obese Arachnid nawwt off chops kent...yet

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

WaynesWorld19 I said I'd post this for ya. :thumbsu:

I just messed around with sideways trades which I NEVER do, I usually back my selections.

I think I brought in 9 rooks over the course of about 12 rounds
and managed to bring IN 15 premos... cough, cough... IN and OUT which was a experiment in cash management.

Did it work? Nope

I ran out of trades which I wanted for some free time, needed my life back at the time.

I also pulled off multiple Roughy maneuvers for the first time ever, feels good JM.

So my finishing team was 12odd mil and 2 short, kinda like most really. :moustache:

Round 15 was a highlight in rank lift, also finish 600th for the week

Best trades were Titch for 570K, Whitfield for 430k when peeps where writing him off, Rockpig for 490K, Boak 470k

Round 12 trades were..Saad, Boak and Rocky for Gawn, Dodoo and Tossee

capture.gif

I went from 35k to 25k after picking risky discounts in Boak and Rockliff.

Would I do it again...no but it was fun to see Telly go 180, Rocky to kill Oliver and get Gawn C back IN as a POD.

Anyways thanks lads again for just being your splendid normal selves, and giving me and the boards lives a heap of much needed normality we all craved in these shite times.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Supercoach GRIM REAPER!!!!!
I'd post my season review in here but my trade history is a comical joke. LOL!

It's the stuff of amateur hour trading and I really don't know how I still managed to finish just outside the top 1000 in the end.

Need to drink more and then I will be game enough to do my end of season review and trade history. :moustache:

giphy.gif

Oct 17, 2017
Puppies
AFL Club
West Coast
I'd post my season review in here but my trade history is a comical joke. LOL!

It's the stuff of amateur hour trading and I really don't know how I still managed to finish just outside the top 1000 in the end.

Need to drink more and then I will be game enough to do my end of season review and trade history. :moustache:

giphy.gif
Look forward to, it bud. :thumbsu:

Same as old mate Hoddo above I played around with risks I would never even contemplate unless I was in the running top 100.

I sold my house right in the middle of the season so I bailed on Super Coach, sorry kents I missed the bants.:'(

So i thought feck this IS the year try some strategy, thoughts was to sideways premos at the expense of trading in rooks, basically value shopping with the byes in mind, good, solid Super Coach rules yeah kents?

Always admired players like toxic playing around with value, and I have been criticized on this board for being a premo High Shopper...No Obese Arachnid nawwt off chops kent...yet

View attachment 968306

View attachment 968307

WaynesWorld19 I said I'd post this for ya. :thumbsu:

I just messed around with sideways trades which I NEVER do, I usually back my selections.

I think I brought in 9 rooks over the course of about 12 rounds
and managed to bring IN 15 premos... cough, cough... IN and OUT which was a experiment in cash management.

Did it work? Nope

I ran out of trades which I wanted for some free time, needed my life back at the time.

I also pulled off multiple Roughy maneuvers for the first time ever, feels good JM.

So my finishing team was 12odd mil and 2 short, kinda like most really. :moustache:

Round 15 was a highlight in rank lift, also finish 600th for the week

Best trades were Titch for 570K, Whitfield for 430k when peeps where writing him off, Rockpig for 490K, Boak 470k

Round 12 trades were..Saad, Boak and Rocky for Gawn, Dodoo and Tossee

View attachment 968381

I went from 35k to 25k after picking risky discounts in Boak and Rockliff.

Would I do it again...no but it was fun to see Telly go 180, Rocky to kill Oliver and get Gawn C back IN as a POD.

Anyways thanks lads again for just being your splendid normal selves, and giving me and the boards lives a heap of much needed normality we all craved in these sh*te times.
That's all well & good but......

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm terrible at picking the right mid-pricers, the only ones I get right are the fallen premo's, never get the right breakout stars, so I didn't try this year, only took Dev Smith and Doc. And I'm having my best year, go figure.

Regarding GnR the key is getting the right premo's imo as it's easy enough to correct a couple of rookies, but if you miss someone who starts fast (like Neale the last two years) it's hard to make up ground.

i wonder if the best way is to take every starting rookie you can (assuming there are enough) and a few SP's and keep 1-2 mil in the bank, then you can jump on the breakout players and not get stuck with the under performers. You would start slow the first few weeks though and it would require some nerve/big balls. Doubt I'm brave enough to try it.

I did an experiment a few years back where I made 2 teams, the usual MPM for me (8-8-14 set up) and a strict GnR team for my kid (13-0-17) The result was virtually identical looking teams and rankings inside the Top1k at the end of the year. The lesson learned here is that a Rd1 team is not as important as I'd previously thought and that trading and team management, particularly prior and through the MBRs is what separates the wheat from the chaff. It's also perfectly plausible that a WaynesWorld19 selected Rd1 team can finish Top1k, so long as he doesn't do his own trades. Moreover, whether it's MPM or GnR, starting with too many PODs in your Rd1 team is never a good idea. No more than 1 or 2 selections under 5-10%. You really can't go wrong starting with a combination of the most popular selected players, it doesn't really matter which ones and have a trades plan that's a bit longer than the upcoming round.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I did an experiment a few years back where I made 2 teams, the usual MPM for me (8-8-14 set up) and a strict GnR team for my kid (13-0-17) The result was virtually identical looking teams and rankings inside the Top1k at the end of the year. The lesson learned here is that a Rd1 team is not as important as I'd previously thought and that trading and team management, particularly prior and through the MBRs is what separates the wheat from the chaff. It's also perfectly plausible that a WaynesWorld19 selected Rd1 team can finish Top1k, so long as he doesn't do his own trades. Moreover, whether it's MPM or GnR, starting with too many PODs in your Rd1 team is never a good idea. No more than 1 or 2 selections under 5-10%. You really can't go wrong starting with a combination of the most popular selected players, it doesn't really matter which ones and have a trades plan that's a bit longer than the upcoming round.
I'll make you eat these words ......already my hand selected team is already busy preparing for next season

Hindsight is the best insight to foresight

Computer men working.gif

Thank * for 37 trades.......

20200322_130901.jpg

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Key points to my season:
- too many of the premos in my initial team were poor, and it meant I started really slowly. Guys like Yeo and Dunkley. And not having guys like Neale and Howe initially. There must have been other reasons why I scored so badly in the first month, maybe I made the wrong rookie on field or captain calls.
- from rounds 2-8ish I focused on making sure I had the best rookies and guys like Pittonet, which seemed to pay off
- I focused on bringing in value premiums for pretty much all my trades. This was more hit than miss, and allowed me to get close to full premo faster than most teams.
- Towards the end of the year I did a few sideways premo trades to make money and finish the team off. Some didn't work, but overall it suited the shorter season.

I'm guessing from round 5 onwards I would have been one of the top teams out there for total points. But not sure you can actually work that out.

Overall was pretty happy, I'll be back again next year to try to go better again.

aaa.JPG

Dec 3, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm guessing from round 5 onwards I would have been one of the top teams out there for total points. But not sure you can actually work that out.

Overall was pretty happy, I'll be back again next year to try to go better again.

View attachment 968887

Croz Beez (SC Winner)
40,466 Total Score
8730 (Rd 1-4)
31,736 (Rd 5-18)

Suma Magic (516th) Suma Magic
39,291 Total Score
7903 (Rd 1-4)
31,388 (Rd 5-18)

Dyslexia United (5th) Barry Roundhouse
40,313 Total score
9035 (Rd 1-4)