Discussion SC Season Review (of sorts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The time has come,
The walrus said, to talk of many things.
That no prick put a bloke on Neale,
Or Blake Acres' sexy swing.
1594257276356_GIS2R0F1H.1-2.jpeg
Yes campaigners, it is that time of year again as the SC world turns its attention to the SC grand final week.

A week where reputations are made and lost, where the butterfly theory comes to the fore and some random rookie from out back of Oodnadatta sparks up and belts out a 120 to lift the odd outsider to victory over his / her more fancied foe and some poor buggers open up a Krispy Kreme factory at the worst possible time as Ross the Boss drops a Merry Rixxmas present and rests the entire senior side, thus saving the sad panda from extinction.
tenor (5).gif

Rossy has always had a soft spot for animal welfare. Or at least less hatred for them than for the long-suffering SC nation.
20200913_220102.jpg

For those of you who copped a reaming from the SC gods in your prelims, genuine commiserations.

There is not much worse in SC terms than having one of your guns go 80-odd below the projection, especially if they're wearing the captain's armband for your mob.

On paper, not that much would have separated the predicted outcomes for Lachie Neale and big Maximus. In practice, they were on opposite sides of the Simpson Desert as Neale owners were savaged by the SC gods.
giphy (27).gif

For those still gunning for the crown, best of luck and may the odds be ever in your favour.
tenor (7).gif
For those looking to consolidate their rank or maybe even cop a sneaky final round boost, I hope your luck's running and your premos, your loops and any GF streamers you chance your arm on all fire.

For those with not a lot left to play for, and there'll be more than a few of us floating around, sit back, relax and just enjoy the footy unfold.

She's been a bloody awful year for a lot of people, and SC has been something of a microcosm of that, full of uncertainty and not without a fair old slice of stress.

All you can do is control the controllables, but by Christ there were more than a few uncontrollables bobbing up like icebergs in the Atlantic to * up the collective Titanic.
tenor (6).gif
I'm not going to do a write-up of the different trade-in / trade-out options, nor C/VC selections.

If you're through to a Granny, you've obviously been doing something right, so do your research, deploy your trades (if you still have trades left to deploy) and stock up on cinnamon lube just in case.

Look at every little advantage you might be able to glean by setting your loops - if this week taught us anything (other than that Devon is the most delectable of lunchmeats once more and that there is absolutely no way that Stevie the Rabbit could have contributed more to GWS than überpremo Connor Idun), it's that you just never know.

That Big Sexy Rivers, SP Schoenpiglet and Lachie <insert nickname here> Scholl would all piss PF excellence whilst established guns like Neale, Danger, Dochers and co. sadly all left behind a chocolate-coloured surprise for mummy in their nappies at the absolutely worst possible time wasn't something anyone would have predicted other than old Marty McFly with his copy of Gray's Sports Almanac, but many of us could and should have planned to profit from it if it did.

Not all of us will have.
98fc2029e506ac145b2d50f49df3350e.jpg

And for those consigned to the also-rans this year, if you can, have a little fun with your final trades. Trade in a bloke you just like to watch play, a bloke you think might go ham or, if you're into self-harm in a big way, DPP SP extraordinaire and all-universe F20/ R18 Johnny Ceglar.
200 (3).gif

Or just don't worry about the SC scores and try to enjoy the games as a spectacle without the righteous indignation that comes with seeing The Bont Supremacy cop +35 for picking his nose in the goal square while the ball is down the other end while your premo racks up +15 over a quarter and a half for 10 possies at 80% DE, three one percenters and four tackles.

The SC algorithms have had as rough a time as anyone this year and in any case, there's two thirds of five eighths of sweet *-all we can do about it, so it's good - if not always easy - to just grin and bear it.

And last but not least, they always say, 'Don't mention the war'.... And they probably say that for a reason. That said...
4uGXKGU.jpg
For what it's worth (and that's not a lot, I'm just a mediocre SuperCoach when it's all said and done), the way the Essendon Melbourne game postponement was handled was a massively controversial fork in the road.

For some with a lot of impacted players, it torpedoed their season in overall before things had even gotten going.

In some cases, it was further compounded by not being able to at least be able to access all possible reserve scores (so essentially going best 18 of 30).

In a shortened season, it also had an impact on league W-L, percentage and the like.

The solution was not ideal. There's no point pissing down anyone's leg and telling them it's raining.

I was also impacted, but not as badly, because I could at least get my ducks in a row on the Es.

Having opponents be able to drop Lachie Whitfield's score out of the 18 meant losses instead of wins in leagues etc., but that can't really hold a candle to copping a 1,400 and having points go begging on the bench. That's a syphilis-coated s**t sanga if ever there was one.

(To be totally honest, there was a fair element of going through the motions this year and, at least for me, enthusiasm levels for next year aren't massively high as it stands. Can't imagine I'm Robinson Crusoe there.)

But at the end of the day, this season was always going to be compromised and it's a wonder we've been able to get to the finish line at all. And compared to all the stuff going on out there in the world, if it's the worst thing that's happened to us that SC has been a touch off, we're probably travelling ok.

Whether it be Jiska, Andrew Birch, Pincrusher, Wayne's World on the mod and league organization front, Al Paton, Tim Mitchell, Pete Jank and co. having to make tough calls they knew wouldn't please everybody, all the sensational podcasters and content producers out there (Brice Mitchell on the projections, SC Elites / SCC / Jock Reynolds crew, just to name a few, but you could go an all day), there's a heap of good people of there who put out some great stuff and give of themselves just because they love their SC as much as any of us.

There are also far too many regulars on here to name them all who are always happy to give each other and newcomers top advice and help along the way.

And for that, they've all got my absolute respect.

Just remember, everything we do, we do for Smackdog. Love u, Smacka 😍

Have a good off-season, campaigners.

(You, too, Jakey Lloyd. I despise you and everything you stand for, but by Christ you're a topliner in the SC stakes. A Lllooooyydd ton is as inevitable as death, taxes, and Eddie McGuire getting his foot wedged in his mouth.)

200 (2).gif

Last edited:

Shortened quarters, condensed fixture, daily teamsheet drops all sucked balls from a SC perspective. They better not pull that crap again. The season has been a challenge no doubt, but credit to everyone on this forum for persisting regardless and not abandoning their teams and leagues. It would have been very easy to just walk away from this shitshow. It's been an interesting experience adapting to changes beyond our control & trying out different strategies on the run.

2020 has been a crazy year, very surreal. Especially for us here in Melbourne, it's been pretty crap tbh (and still is fml). The one constant has been Footy, SC and this forum. Thanks everyone for the banter, the chats, the laughs, the melts, and of course the puppies. Big effort from you legends. Best of luck with the rest of Season Covid-19.

Hopefully next season resembles some form of normality.

Take care! :heart:

ps. teams dropping the day before a match can GAGF. If they keep this for next season, I'm going to flip.

tenor.gif

Alf finds the lack of Alf...

...Disturbing
images_1596331521309.jpeg

Seriously though this board, Footy and SuperCoach (Even though it's a ******* campaigner) has made lockdown tolerable and given plenty of laughs.

Without it there would be absolutely * all to do apart from figuring out how to grow a third nipple or something.

Timeline of the season:

Season Commenced -> :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: -> Season Finished

Having to make decisions 3-4-5 days before teams were announced for the same round was utterly brutal.

But - and I may well be on my own here - I thought having price changes after only 2 games wasn't so bad in that it forced everyone to make decisions earlier and meant there was a bit more variety in the teams people had, rather than all having basically the same bunch.

I also thought SC overpaid us with extra trades, which really allowed some people who should have been ****ed due to poor decision making dig themselves out and limited the advantage of those that had spent trades more wisely and cautiously.

The scoring was baffling at times. It's great when your guy is KOTD, but brutal when your guy is getting the raw prawn. At all times it's confusing, even when condescending, smarmy gits (probably Gull, Bont, Gawn owners) explain why the scores make total sense.

2021 Plan v0.1:

D: Gull, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno (dunno, dunno)
M: Dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno (dunno, dunno, dunno)
R: Gawn, Grundy (102k RF dunno)
F: Dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno, dunno (dunno, dunno)

The time has come,
View attachment 960864
Yes campaigners, it is that time of year again as the SC world turns its attention to the SC grand final week.

A week where reputations are made and lost, where the butterfly theory comes to the fore and some random rookie from out back of Oodnadatta sparks up and belts out a 120 to lift the odd outsider to victory over his / her more fancied foe and some poor buggers open up a Krispy Kreme factory at the worst possible time as Ross the Boss drops a Merry Rixxmas present and rests the entire senior side, thus saving the sad panda from extinction.
View attachment 960865

Rossy has always had a soft spot for animal welfare. Or at least less hatred for them than for the long-suffering SC nation.
View attachment 960867

For those of you who copped a reaming from the SC gods in your prelims, genuine commiserations.

There is not much worse in SC terms than having one of your guns go 80-odd below the projection, especially if they're wearing the captain's armband for your mob.

On paper, not that much would have separated the predicted outcomes for Lachie Neale and big Maximus. In practice, they were on opposite sides of the Simpson Desert as Neale owners were savaged by the SC gods.
View attachment 960868

For those still gunning for the crown, best of luck and may the odds be ever in your favour.
View attachment 960869
For those looking to consolidate their rank or maybe even cop a sneaky final round boost, I hope your luck's running and your premos, your loops and any GF streamers you chance your arm on all fire.

For those with not a lot left to play for, and there'll be more than a few of us floating around, sit back, relax and just enjoy the footy unfold.

She's been a bloody awful year for a lot of people, and SC has been something of a microcosm of that, full of uncertainty and not without a fair old slice of stress.

All you can do is control the controllables, but by Christ there were more than a few uncontrollables bobbing up like icebergs in the Atlantic to fu** up the collective Titanic.
View attachment 960871
I'm not going to do a write-up of the different trade-in / trade-out options, nor C/VC selections.

If you're through to a Granny, you've obviously been doing something right, so do your research, deploy your trades (if you still have trades left to deploy) and stock up on cinnamon lube just in case.

Look at every little advantage you might be able to glean by setting your loops - if this week taught us anything (other than that Devon is the most delectable of lunchmeats once more and that there is absolutely no way that Stevie the Rabbit could have contributed more to GWS than überpremo Connor Idun), it's that you just never know.

That Big Sexy Rivers, SP Schoenpiglet and Lachie <insert nickname here> Scholl would all piss PF excellence whilst established guns like Neale, Danger, Dochers and co. sadly all left behind a chocolate-coloured surprise for mummy in their nappies at the absolutely worst possible time wasn't something anyone would have predicted other than old Marty McFly with his copy of Gray's Sports Almanac, but many of us could and should have planned to profit from it if it did.

Not all of us will have.
View attachment 960872

And for those consigned to the also-rans this year, if you can, have a little fun with your final trades. Trade in a bloke you just like to watch play, a bloke you think might go ham or, if you're into self-harm in a big way, DPP SP extraordinaire and all-universe F20/ R18 Johnny Ceglar.
View attachment 960874

Or just don't worry about the SC scores and try to enjoy the games as a spectacle without the righteous indignation that comes with seeing The Bont Supremacy cop +35 for picking his nose in the goal square while the ball is down the other end while your premo racks up +15 over a quarter and a half for 10 possies at 80% DE, three one percenters and four tackles.

The SC algorithms have had as rough a time as anyone this year and in any case, there's two thirds of five eighths of sweet fu**-all we can do about it, so it's good - if not always easy - to just grin and bear it.

And last but not least, they always say, 'Don't mention the war'.... And they probably say that for a reason. That said...
View attachment 960875
For what it's worth (and that's not a lot, I'm just a mediocre SuperCoach when it's all said and done), the way the Essendon Melbourne game postponement was handled was a massively controversial fork in the road.

For some with a lot of impacted players, it torpedoed their season in overall before things had even gotten going.

In some cases, it was further compounded by not being able to at least be able to access all possible reserve scores (so essentially going best 18 of 30).

In a shortened season, it also had an impact on league W-L, percentage and the like.

The solution was not ideal. There's no point pissing down anyone's leg and telling them it's raining.

I was also impacted, but not as badly, because I could at least get my ducks in a row on the Es.

Having opponents be able to drop Lachie Whitfield's score out of the 18 meant losses instead of wins in leagues etc., but that can't really hold a candle to copping a 1,400 and having points go begging on the bench. That's a syphilis-coated sh*t sanga if ever there was one.

(To be totally honest, there was a fair element of going through the motions this year and, at least for me, enthusiasm levels for next year aren't massively high as it stands. Can't imagine I'm Robinson Crusoe there.)

But at the end of the day, this season was always going to be compromised and it's a wonder we've been able to get to the finish line at all. And compared to all the stuff going on out there in the world, if it's the worst thing that's happened to us that SC has been a touch off, we're probably travelling ok.

Whether it be Jiska, Andrew Birch, Pincrusher, Wayne's World on the mod and league organization front, Al Paton, Tim Mitchell, Pete Jank and co. having to make tough calls they knew wouldn't please everybody, all the sensational podcasters and content producers out there (Brice Mitchell on the projections, SC Elites / SCC / Jock Reynolds crew, just to name a few, but you could go an all day), there's a heap of good people of there who put out some great stuff and give of themselves just because they love their SC as much as any of us.

There are also far too many regulars on here to name them all who are always happy to give each other and newcomers top advice and help along the way.

(You, too, Jakey Lloyd. I despise you and everything you stand for, but by Christ you're a topliner in the SC stakes. A Lllooooyydd ton is as inevitable as death, taxes, and Eddie McGuire getting his foot wedged in his mouth.)

View attachment 960876
Is there an audio book version

Alf finds the lack of Alf...

...Disturbing
View attachment 961253

Seriously though this board, Footy and SuperCoach (Even though it's a ******* campaigner) has made lockdown tolerable and given plenty of laughs.

Without it there would be absolutely fu** all to do apart from figuring out how to grow a third nipple or something.
Congrats Scaramanga!

EUnwYsyWoAA6KBp.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The time has come,
View attachment 960864

View attachment 960865

View attachment 960867

View attachment 960868

View attachment 960869

All you can do is control the controllables, but by Christ there were more than a few uncontrollables bobbing up like icebergs in the Atlantic to fu** up the collective Titanic.
View attachment 960871

Not all of us will have.
View attachment 960872

View attachment 960874

The SC algorithms have had as rough a time as anyone this year and in any case, there's two thirds of five eighths of sweet fu**-all we can do about it, so it's good - if not always easy - to just grin and bear it.

View attachment 960875

Having opponents be able to drop Lachie Whitfield's score out of the 18 meant losses instead of wins in leagues etc., but that can't really hold a candle to copping a 1,400 and having points go begging on the bench. That's a syphilis-coated sh*t sanga if ever there was one.

View attachment 960876
Great work!

I also thought SC overpaid us with extra trades, which really allowed some people who should have been f’ed due to poor decision making dig themselves out and limited the advantage of those that had spent trades more wisely and cautiously.
Agreed. As much as it was fun to basically trade every week, 37 for such a short season was overkill, even given the circumstances.

Shortened quarters, condensed fixture, daily teamsheet drops all sucked balls from a SC perspective. They better not pull that crap again. The season has been a challenge no doubt, but credit to everyone on this forum for persisting regardless and not abandoning their teams and leagues. It would have been very easy to just walk away from this shitshow. It's been an interesting experience adapting to changes beyond our control & trying out different strategies on the run.
tenor.gif

Next year, I'm going to stick to my guts and hold my premos that I select before Round 1.

I will not trade Andrew Brayshaw to Conor Rozee again that's for sure.

But then again, I say sh*t like this every year and keep on doing it anyway.

Next year, I'm going to stick to my guts and hold my premos that I select before Round 1.

I will not trade Andrew Brayshaw to Conor Rozee again that's for sure.

But then again, I say sh*t like this every year and keep on doing it anyway.

Rozee looked so good and Brayshaw so crap after 2 rounds...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t...

I actually have a rule now that I need 4 scores to really work out what is going on...
even if I miss a really cheap price they will still be good value e.g. Simpkin and Ridley were still good buys after 4 matches. Because trades are so valuable and it stuffs your whole season with early calls that don’t work, it’s worth the extra few weeks validation to avoid the traps.
If you go back and look, you can see lots of Midpricers put in 2 good scores then stink it up, Thurlow, Eggmolester and SPS are examples I can think of.

Premos can do the same and we end up trading them out too early and wasting a trade (like Bont).

My 4 week rule has saved me a few times and the feeling of missing a super low price can be offset by looking at the downside (ruining your whole season by having to hold them longer than we want) and the fact a good rookie can make 50-70k in a week if I get them right...

Chasing too much value too quickly can be a trap.

Rozee looked so good and Brayshaw so crap after 2 rounds...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t...

I actually have a rule now that I need 4 scores to really work out what is going on...
even if I miss a really cheap price they will still be good value e.g. Simpkin and Ridley were still good buys after 4 matches. Because trades are so valuable and it stuffs your whole season with early calls that don’t work, it’s worth the extra few weeks validation to avoid the traps.
If you go back and look, you can see lots of Midpricers put in 2 good scores then stink it up, Thurlow, Eggmolester and SPS are examples I can think of.

Premos can do the same and we end up trading them out too early and wasting a trade (like Bont).

My 4 week rule has saved me a few times and the feeling of missing a super low price can be offset by looking at the downside (ruining your whole season by having to hold them longer than we want) and the fact a good rookie can make 50-70k in a week if I get them right...

I generally have a policy of no 2nd year players ......now Rozee was a 2nd year player at a club that LIED about Rockcliff's injury in 2019

So I speak as a victim ........now guess when I brought Rozee in and when I traded him out .....it's an easy answer

1600304730617.png

My biggest issue year on year is club medical dept's that "hide" injuries, such as Rozee's heel

Fyfe this year, has a hamstring and put out as a 1 week injury ......look at how many Coaches suffered as he was "managed" when he came back

So my advice would be ......be very careful of 2nd year players, the 2nd year blues are not a fantasy

Rozie was fine until Wines and Rockliff came back.

Rocky cant play forward and Wines is a hobbit so Rozee is a no go until Rockcrab retires and Wines is back in Victoria post Corona. The he goes AA in his 4th/5th year and we lock him in for the next 5 years.

Brayshaw was a hard one due to new coach but he would be a safe enough pick for next year unless Freo magically find some forwards and Sonny and Fyfe go full time in the guts. Hogan, Lobb forward if Darcy isn't injured. They've been all over the shop with positions this year.

Simpkin and Ridley I got on both early as you could see they were this years break outs/love childs of CD, Shorter game suited them along with the rest of their teams being a bit s**t.

Bont was a lock start of year. No way you should ever trade the one and only original KOTD master. Never misses games either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back