Discussion SC Season Review (of sorts)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an experiment a few years back where I made 2 teams, the usual MPM for me (8-8-14 set up) and a strict GnR team for my kid (13-0-17) The result was virtually identical looking teams and rankings inside the Top1k at the end of the year. The lesson learned here is that a Rd1 team is not as important as I'd previously thought and that trading and team management, particularly prior and through the MBRs is what separates the wheat from the chaff. It's also perfectly plausible that a WaynesWorld19 selected Rd1 team can finish Top1k, so long as he doesn't do his own trades. Moreover, whether it's MPM or GnR, starting with too many PODs in your Rd1 team is never a good idea. No more than 1 or 2 selections under 5-10%. You really can't go wrong starting with a combination of the most popular selected players, it doesn't really matter which ones and have a trades plan that's a bit longer than the upcoming round.
Interesting about GnR vs MpM starting teams. I've never gone the mid-priced route because I suck at picking the right ones. I think you are right about not picking too many POD's, but getting the 1-2 you do pick right can be a massive advantage. Anyone who started a vanilla team with Ridley and Simpkin for example this year would have been ahead of the pack early.

Also getting your captain choice right each week is massively imporant and why you have to have the Gawn's and Neale's in your team imo.

Croz Beez (SC Winner)
40,466 Total Score
8730 (Rd 1-4)
31,736 (Rd 5-18)

Suma Magic (516th) Suma Magic
39,291 Total Score
7903 (Rd 1-4)
31,388 (Rd 5-18)

Dyslexia United (5th) Barry Roundhouse
40,313 Total score
9035 (Rd 1-4)
31,278 (Rd 5-18)

Haha cheers.

Still hard to know what sort of round 5-18 rank I would have got. Looking at that, probably not as high as I had thought. Maybe 50th or something.

Interesting about GnR vs MpM starting teams. I've never gone the mid-priced route because I suck at picking the right ones. I think you are right about not picking too many POD's, but getting the 1-2 you do pick right can be a massive advantage. Anyone who started a vanilla team with Ridley and Simpkin for example this year would have been ahead of the pack early.

Also getting your captain choice right each week is massively imporant and why you have to have the Gawn's and Neale's in your team imo.

You don't need to pick all the right Mid-Pricers for the MPM strategy to be effective. I usually start with 6-8 mid-pricers, but come years end I'm usually down to only 1-2 of them. The point of the MPM starting strategy from my perspective is to minimise on-field rookie scores in the early rounds and treat the mid-pricers as stepping stones for the most part. The less rookies on-field, the fewer upgrade trades required. When upgrading rookies it often takes 2 downgrades for 1 upgrade (if you're an aggressive trader) where as it's 1 up 1 down or even a sideways trade to a fallen-premo when going mid-pricer to premo.

I generally make a call on my mid-priced starting picks fairly early on, the underwhelming ones either get downgraded to a gun must have rookie that I missed and/or upgraded to a must have premo that I missed. I see MPM as only a starting point, as in I generally only upgrade to must have premo's and try and stay clear of mid-pricers during the year, unless they're a fallen premo due to an injury affected score but otherwise scoring as well as the other premo's or gone full breakout like Ridley for example.

The other point with starting with 6-8 mid-pricers is you still need to nail most of your 8-9 SP's. Try and identify who you think the best 1-2 scorers will be on each line and start with them. Particualrly in the Mids and Ruck as that's usually where your VC and C selections come from. Not much point starting with only 5-6 rookies on-field if you don't have any obvious VC and C options.

Last edited:

Haha cheers.

Still hard to know what sort of round 5-18 rank I would have got. Looking at that, probably not as high as I had thought. Maybe 50th or something.

The winner was ranked around 580th after Rd4, had you not had the worst start imaginable and say you were ranked 1-2k at the start of Rd5 instead, you would have finished Top20 maybe even Top10

The winner was ranked around 580th after Rd4, had you not had the worst start imaginable and say you were ranked 1-2k at the start of Rd5 instead, you would have finished Top20 maybe even Top10

Yeah true. Although a lot of people could take out their worst month and improve their position greatly.

Still, I'm taking the positive in it and looking forward to giving it a good crack next year.

Yeah true. Although a lot of people could take out their worst month and improve their position greatly.

Still, I'm taking the positive in it and looking forward to giving it a good crack next year.

That first month was an abomination though. Even I outscored you by 800 points in that time and you ended up finishing higher than me. You should be proud of that Top500 finish considering where you were at 1/4 way mark. Best of luck for next year.

Key points to my season:
- too many of the premos in my initial team were poor, and it meant I started really slowly. Guys like Yeo and Dunkley. And not having guys like Neale and Howe initially. There must have been other reasons why I scored so badly in the first month, maybe I made the wrong rookie on field or captain calls.
- from rounds 2-8ish I focused on making sure I had the best rookies and guys like Pittonet, which seemed to pay off
- I focused on bringing in value premiums for pretty much all my trades. This was more hit than miss, and allowed me to get close to full premo faster than most teams.
- Towards the end of the year I did a few sideways premo trades to make money and finish the team off. Some didn't work, but overall it suited the shorter season.

I'm guessing from round 5 onwards I would have been one of the top teams out there for total points. But not sure you can actually work that out.

Overall was pretty happy, I'll be back again next year to try to go better again.

View attachment 968887
Ripper effort mate. Finishing 516th after those first 4 rounds is huge.

You don't need to pick all the right Mid-Pricers for the MPM strategy to be effective... Blah, blah, blah...

Mate, just saw that you finished in the top 1,000 again. Congrats & well done.

You must be doing something right as the rest of us will continue to read all your tips as "blah, blah, blah".

Mate, just saw that you finished in the top 1,000 again. Congrats & well done.

You must be doing something right as the rest of us will continue to read all your tips as "blah, blah, blah".

I like to correct misconceptions about the much maligned MPM strategy when I see them. Feel free to ignore. :moustache:

People make too big of a deal about nailing all their starting picks imo. A number of former winners had very ordinary Rd1 teams.

... A number of former winners had very ordinary Rd1 teams.

In retrospect, I had a great starting team... BUT I sideways'd 3 of them (Bont, Danger & Crisp) after rd-1 when we were given 5 trades.

TL/DR: I blame COVID.

In retrospect, I had a great starting team... BUT I sideways'd 3 of them (Bont, Danger & Crisp) after rd-1 when we were given 5 trades.

TL/DR: I blame COVID.

I also started with Bont and hated having him in my team for the first half of the season, nearly every week I was going to trade him out for someone better but always had bigger fish to fry. By the time I got around to him, he came good and I saved a trade. Go figure.

Gawn didn't finish in the Top5 of Dees BnF :$

Michael Hibberd made the top 10... I genuinely didn't know if he played more than 5 games!

And apparently Ed Langdon (4th) was a better player this season than Clayton Oliver (5th):

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Birchy's 2020 All-Australian SuperCoach Team

Lloyd, Ryan, Laird, Maynard, Ridley, Daniel (Rivers +222k, Noble +195k)
Neale (VC), Steele, Oliver, Macrae, Bont, Danger, Mitchell, Merrett (Rowell +263.4k, Serong +244k, Anderson +237k)
Gawn (C), Grundy (Draper +196k)
Petracca, Hawkins, Greenwood, Whitfield, Brayshaw, Dusty (S McAdam +263.5k, Aarts +191k)

Fun Fact: Shane McAdam who nobody had turned out to be the #1 cashcow of the year.

------------------

Birchy's ALL-Australian 2020 SC :fire: Burnmen :fire: Team

Hurn (C), Z Williams, SPS, Doedee, Roberton, Milera (Gould, Ling)
Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio (VC), J Kelly, Dunkley, Yeo, Taranto, Sloane (Bennell, McHenry, McInerney)
Ceglar, Pittonet (Naismith)
Heeney, Walters, T Greene, J Cameron, T Lynch, Rozee (Sturt, Skinner)

Coach: Leon Cameron

Last edited:
Birchy's 2020 All-Australian SuperCoach Team

Lloyd, Ryan, Laird, Maynard, Ridley, Daniel (Rivers +222k, Noble +195k)
Neale (VC), Steele, Oliver, Macrae, Bont, Danger, Mitchell, Merrett (Rowell +263.4k, Serong, +244k, Anderson +237k)
Gawn (C), Grundy (Draper +196k)
Petracca, Hawkins, Greenwood, Whitfield, Brayshaw, Dusty (S McAdam 263.5k, Aarts +191k)

Fun Fact: Shane McAdam who nobody had turned out to be the #1 cashcow of the year.

------------------

Fyfe, Cripps (VC), J Kelly, Dunkley, Yeo, Taranto, Sloane, B Crouch (Bennell, McHenry, Dev Robertson)
Pittonet (Naismith)
Heeney, Walters, Ceglar, J Cameron, T Lynch, Rozee (Sturt, Skinner)

Rozee?

------------------

Fyfe, Cripps (VC), J Kelly, Dunkley, Yeo, Taranto, Sloane, B Crouch (Bennell, McHenry, Dev Robertson)
Pittonet (Naismith)
Heeney, Walters, Ceglar, J Cameron, T Lynch, Rozee (Sturt, Skinner)

Excellent team

In defence, Doc very stiff to miss after his sensational non performance in the Prelim Final. Haynes made a late run at the side. Clearly worst on ground the final 2 weeks of the season which should count for a lot being finals, however he lacked the consistent mediocrity that is a hallmark of some of the walk up starters.

Stephen Coniglo is a shock omission from the midfield. Has legitimate claims to captain this abysmal squad. Should be a spot for McInerney on the bench too. Came back into the team and tonned up after 99.9% of coaches had cut their losses and dumped him.

You're missing a ruck in the Burners. Put Ceglar into the Ruck slot and bring Toby Greene into the Forward line.

Leon Cameron coaches the Burnmen with David Teague his up and coming assistant. Really, based on this year, there's half a dozen coaches that could do a stellar job with this team though.

Heeney just 24 years old, already with 3 All Australian Burner selections. Legend in the making. Good to see Eliott Yeo come off the rails too. Has been surprisingly consistent for a few years after looking like a lock for the Burner hall of fame early in his career.

Excellent team

In defence, Doc very stiff to miss after his sensational non performance in the Prelim Final. Haynes made a late run at the side. Clearly worst on ground the final 2 weeks of the season which should count for a lot being finals, however he lacked the consistent mediocrity that is a hallmark of some of the walk up starters.

Stephen Coniglo is a shock omission from the midfield. Has legitimate claims to captain this abysmal squad. Should be a spot for McInerney on the bench too. Came back into the team and tonned up after 99.9% of coaches had cut their losses and dumped him.

You're missing a ruck in the Burners. Put Ceglar into the Ruck slot and bring Toby Greene into the Forward line.

Leon Cameron coaches the Burnmen with David Teague his up and coming assistant. Really, based on this year, there's half a dozen coaches that could do a stellar job with this team though.

Heeney just 24 years old, already with 3 All Australian Burner selections. Legend in the making. Good to see Eliott Yeo come off the rails too. Has been surprisingly consistent for a few years after looking like a lock for the Burner hall of fame early in his career.

Haynes dominated for most of the season. Never averaged less than 105 until the final 2 rounds. Really hurt not having him this year. He would have burned a few cashie league owners in the end though. Everyone had Doch so his injury score didn't hurt that much. Was decent value on his starting price and playing every game until injured was a bonus after missing 2 years.

The others you mentioned are all deserving of a spot among the premier burnmen of 2020. I will add them to the team. Thanks for your input, SK :):thumbsu:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back