Scarlett, Mcpharlin, Glass, Lake.

who was the best

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Scarlett
Glass
McPharlin
Lake

I see the top 3 easily ahead of Lake over their entire careers.

Lake has been great but he has had inconsistencies throughout his career including not playing to team rules.

The other 3 have been absolute champions of their clubs and are spoken about as being the hardest 3 defenders to play on over the last 15 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of these 4, Scarlett, but he didn't really become recognized until Geelong become a powerhouse whilst McPharlin was pretty damn good throughout the times when Freo were terrible
Had his only B&F and 2 AA's prior to 2007. If I remember correctly was already considered the best fullback in the league before they became a powerhouse.

Lake. Even before he went to Hawthorn I rated him ahead of Scarlett.

If you rated him ahead of Scarlett, and Scarlett was arguably the best defender of his generation, why did you want to take Zac Clarke ahead of Lake?

posted Oct, 2012
Would love Zac Clarke. A big fan and would much rather get him than Lake. Here is why
. He is 22 athletic and a tonne of potential
. Would allow Roughy to play in the backline with Clarke and Hale rotating between Ruck and Forward line
. Can take a mark
.Would not have to break the bank
. Isn't getting much of an opportunity with Sandi and Griffin at Freo
. A local boy. Went to Koonung Secondary College

Make it happen!!!!

That post suggests to me you didn't rate Lake as highly as what you now do since he move to Hawthorn.

If you rated him ahead of Scarlett, and Scarlett was arguably the best defender of his generation, why did you want to take Zac Clarke ahead of Lake?

posted Oct, 2012

That post suggests to me you didn't rate Lake as highly as what you now do since he move to Hawthorn.
Because when Lake finished at the Dogs he was playing in the VFL seconds.
Not to mention we needed a ruckman hence Zac Clarke who looked really promising

I also rate Chris Judd higher than say James Aish but if you had to ask me which one I'd take right now....

Scarlett
Glass
McPharlin
Lake

I see the top 3 easily ahead of Lake over their entire careers.

Lake has been great but he has had inconsistencies throughout his career including not playing to team rules.

The other 3 have been absolute champions of their clubs and are spoken about as being the hardest 3 defenders to play on over the last 15 years.

I agree with all that. You could possibly say McPharlin at his best was better than Glass but Glass was at the top of his game for longer.

Scarlett no doubt.
McPharlins best was better than Glass' best but Glass was up and about for longer.
Lake is no push over but still comes fourth!

Take reputation out of it and McPharlin is better than Scarlett. Better stopper due to his incredible athleticism and long reach, only full-back who can consistently stop Buddy, Cloke and others. Not too bad on the rebound either, again due to his running attributes.

Back