Roast SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m not sure if it belongs or not but I think ‘game day’ is appropriate to start up a thread re the SCG. Now I’m a Victorian so I don’t have the opportunity to attend our fantastic ground (I have trained on it once before though...broke my finger).

I think there’s a serious need to get the ground to capacity, no matter who we’re playing, in order to create that porachial 19th man that almost all other teams have. I love that WC & Freo are pretty much sold out, the Crows crowd are the best and even Geelong do alright (they’re actually too quiet but almost always full).

Losing those 3 or 4 games or whatever it was was pretty ordinary and to create a fortress would help alleviate this just like it does in Adelaide and Perth. Yeah I know, if you’re a s**t team it probably doesn’t matter but we haven’t been down in almost 20 years and almost every other team succeeds at our home ground regardless of our form. We just don’t do okay on our own ground as well as we should...why?

Last edited:
I agree, but it could help playing in better timeslots. Saturday night games mean you aren't home till midnight, doing it every week is asking a lot. I know the Swans don't give the timeslots out, but surely we could have asked for a few more afternoon games.

It's different in Sydney...

All you guys from the south and west think that playing Buddy last night would have brought in the really big crowds, but it just doesn't work that way up here. A 7.25 time slot on a Saturday night means that you give up your tied up from about 5 until at least midnight (if you actually live in Sydney and much longer if you don't).

I know two people who didn't go because they were going to a concert. Those with young families will stay away from the late games. Rain and cold will generally keep them away. The Royal Wedding would have been huge for the oldies, and a lot of our fan base that attend every week are 65 and over.

I don't know what the answer is, but most weeks we get 30K+ and that's just brilliant for Sydney...

Waratahs playing next door, Royal wedding, non-kid friendly timeslot, a bunch of woeful...and I mean WOEFUL standard home games in a row leading into last night then...

We play Freo, a cellar dweller who like North have a tiny travelling contingent.

It's not about Buddy. :rolleyes:

If you'd asked me prior any crowd number starting with a '3' would have been an incredible turnout.

The handwringing is pointless. It's like a Hawks fan with 70k+ fans not understanding why only 35k turn up for GCS.

Waratahs playing next door, Royal wedding, non-kid friendly timeslot, a bunch of woeful...and I mean WOEFUL standard home games in a row leading into last night then...

We play Freo, a cellar dweller who like North have a tiny travelling contingent.

It's not about Buddy. :rolleyes:

If you'd asked me prior any crowd number starting with a '3' would have been an incredible turnout.

The handwringing is pointless. It's like a Hawks fan with 70k+ fans not understanding why only 35k turn up for GCS.

From memory, over 30K turned up for the Bloods win v the Dawks on a Friday night. This was after a day where the weather had been horrendous. More than a third of the Crowd were Bloods fans.

I don't care how many or few Oppo fans turn up, the SCG crowd should always be 30K minimum.

Are you a Sydney-sider? Do you get to 11 home games a year and every home final? If the answer to both of these are yes, are you over 65? I have managed that just twice since round 1 2012 and I have either lived in the Greater Sydney Metropolitan area during all of that time....

I don't get the point of have a go at 40k people you don't know for not turning up to a game... you have no idea how their lives are structured or what mini and/or major crisis they are experiencing, or even just how busy they are. It feels like yelling at a cloud to me...

From memory, over 30K turned up for the Bloods win v the Dawks on a Friday night. This was after a day where the weather had been horrendous. More than a third of the Crowd were Bloods fans.

I don't care how many or few Oppo fans turn up, the SCG crowd should always be 30K minimum.

It's just wonderful. We have thd best travelling (and a away based) support in footy.

Take the Swans out of that fixture and replace them with Frro or North, and I bet the Hawks struggle ti get a crowd over 30k.

If it had been a reverse fixture, Bloods at home to say the Hawks last night we would have had 30k+ Easy.

The Swans for ages were played on Sunday afternoons with an occasional night game then all of a sudden we get a huge influx of Friday and Saturday night matches. Pretty much fans have gotten used to that being the pattern, used to going out on a Friday or Saturday and watching the football on a chill Sunday and then all of a sudden they're expected to change? I'm not surprised by the low turnouts this season

It's just wonderful. We have thd best travelling (and a away based) support in footy.

Take the Swans out of that fixture and replace them with Frro or North, and I bet the Hawks struggle ti get a crowd over 30k.

If it had been a reverse fixture, Bloods at home to say the Hawks last night we would have had 30k+ Easy.

You could add the Brave Dogs and Tainteds to that list. At our Eddiehead Stadium match v the Brave Bullies, Swans fans clearly outnumbered Bullies fans.

This is good! I understand that families may not want to be out until midnight but what makes a family in Sydney different to any other family of another state? I would argue ‘nothing’ so surely that can’t be a ‘legitimate’ excuse? However, the regularity of these families attendinding could be an factor as time always is. I know that if I lived in Sydney, I’d be trying my hardest to get to every game...as I do living outside of Melbourne!

Are you a Sydney-sider? Do you get to 11 home games a year and every home final? If the answer to both of these are yes, are you over 65? I have managed that just twice since round 1 2012 and I have either lived in the Greater Sydney Metropolitan area during all of that time....

I don't get the point of have a go at 40k people you don't know for not turning up to a game... you have no idea how their lives are structured or what mini and/or major crisis they are experiencing, or even just how busy they are. It feels like yelling at a cloud to me...

Dear Kirkswan

Nope. I live in Melbourne. I am overcoming my feeling of being a jinx and went to our matches v the Dawks and v the Dawks. I plan to go to others as well.

I accept your point about not knowing what is going on in other people's lives. For a range of reasons some members won't be able to go to games. Nonetheless I expect the Club and all of us want the SCG to be our fortress again. Part of that is having the sell-out sign posted outside a noisy rollocking SCG.

I have little doubt the Club is concerned about the attendance numbers. The late marketing of Buddy playing last night is testament to that. I think the Club can do a lot more to engage our fans living in Sydney than what it is doing. In other threads a number of posters have observed the lack of information from the Club.

Yours sincerely,

An old man yelling at clouds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last night was the first time in many years I choose not to attend a home game.
We have a family ticket and just too many night games, so my wife and 10yr old won't go anyway. The games tend to be poor quality too due to dewey conditions.
But the straw breaking this camel's back was the trackwork - there were no trains on the main north bound routes.

Maybe some members didn't want to go to the game after the club pretty sold out the 'Champion Dinner' to everyone but members?'

1400 seats. Sold out in 1 minute?
Reality, very few tickets sold to members. Got some info from a couple of people and one said that there was less then 100 tickets sold to Redback members.

1400 seats but members locked out. Our website takes about 3 months to get a photo or info of a new player. Other info doesnt exist or so slow to come out.

Our club just wants the money, like all the other clubs!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You obviously live in Melbourne. I resigned my membership this year because I won't go to night games. I have debilitating arthritis, am prone to pleurisy and pneumonia, am 61 and hate literally hate cold weather. I will not go to any night game and I can no longer afford the footy.

The night games also make it problematic getting home. If it is a 7.50 game there is a good chance my last bus has gone. Do I then need to get a $25-35 taxi 3 kilometres.

People with kids who are relying on public transport in Sydney would not go to night games because there is a chance they would need to get a taxi home. The other problem is the kids don't normally stay up until midnight or later. They get tetchy, tired and painful at night games.

If the AFL want to get crowds in Sydney then why don't they fixture the Sydney games in the times the Swans members a d support base asked for; day and twilight games. Then you would get sold out games every match

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dear Kirkswan

Nope. I live in Melbourne. I am overcoming my feeling of being a jinx and went to our matches v the Dawks and v the Dawks. I plan to go to others as well.

I accept your point about not knowing what is going on in other people's lives. For a range of reasons some members won't be able to go to games. Nonetheless I expect the Club and all of us want the SCG to be our fortress again. Part of that is having the sell-out sign posted outside a noisy rollocking SCG.

I have little doubt the Club is concerned about the attendance numbers. The late marketing of Buddy playing last night is testament to that. I think the Club can do a lot more to engage our fans living in Sydney than what it is doing. In other threads a number of posters have observed the lack of information from the Club.

Yours sincerely,

An old man yelling at clouds
Dear Bloodied52 ,

Thank you for your reasoned and polite response to my queries.

The only games I remember ever being sell-outs are finals (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). According to Footywire, the attendance for our 5 home games this year has been a total of 163,969 with an average attendance of 32,794. I disagree that the club would be concerned, in fact I think that the club would be pretty happy with the trajectory of attendances since 2012, and not worry about an off night.

To support my views on this matter I have listed the attendances statistics from 2012 to date for home games (excluding finals) as reported by Footywire:

Year Games Total Average
2018 5 163,969 32,794
2017 11 367,376 33,398*
2016 11 367,679 33,425
2015 11 346,735 31,521
2014 11 358,541 32,595
2013 11 311,266 28,297
2012 11 274,795 24,981
*Note that 2017 numbers were reduced only slightly after the 0-6 start.

Whilst I agree that the media department has been somewhat tardy, and perhaps even stingy, with the information provided to supporters, information regarding the next home game is always up within 24 hours of the completion of the previous home game, in most cases immediately after.

I do agree that a larger number of Saturday afternoon and Sunday games will boost attendances, but this must be offset against media coverage a Thursday or Friday night game get. However, I am not sure what other strategies the club could use to boost attendances. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Kindest regards

Cranky Crowd Member

This is good! I understand that families may not want to be out until midnight but what makes a family in Sydney different to any other family of another state? I would argue ‘nothing’ so surely that can’t be a ‘legitimate’ excuse? However, the regularity of these families attendinding could be an factor as time always is. I know that if I lived in Sydney, I’d be trying my hardest to get to every game...as I do living outside of Melbourne!
Yes family or kids is different in Sydney. In Melbourne your public transport changes for the footy. In Sydney it doesn't, for any type of footy except out at ANZ and even then once you get a o the city your train out to either north or south could be finished. Sydney does not have a culture, Rugby League, of going to games anyway.

I don't know how much a pie costs at the footy in Melbourne but they are $7-8 & a Gourmet Pie is $9-10. A kebab (absolute crap) $14, Small Pizza $14, beer $9-10, soft drink $7-8, water $6. It all adds up. They are now thinking of banning people from bringing their own food. I know many seniors who will definitely not to if this happens.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You could add the Brave Dogs and Tainteds to that list. At our Eddiehead Stadium match v the Brave Bullies, Swans fans clearly outnumbered Bullies fans.

When I went down to Lonnie in 2012, Swannies were easily 50/50 with the Hawks for support.

I haven't really felt oppressed as a travelling fan since the 90s. Always red and white in the crowd.

Mostly in home and away I expect us to at least match, and in Melb even embarrass the local teams at times.

20k Swans will often be at a game of 55k at the Gee. And that support feels larger.

Even at Geelong we have a vocal cohort these days (although I've never been to a fixture yhere)

Yes, imagine the fear in opposition hearts as 40,000 timid Sydney siders belt out Sweet Caroline.
You know what? That's just mean... it's not meant to initimidate

I've heard that the song is relevant as the Swans have an affiliation with the Boston Red Sox but have no proof of that and haven't bothered calling the swans to check. But regardless, the crowd is obviously having a good time and enjoying themselves, so why change it to something they don't know?

Sydney is geographically different to Melb, I think.

It's actually harder to get to the cbd up here than down there.

Our CBD is an isolated outpost east of the population and sitting on the coastline.

In Melb, the city is still 15km from a helluva lot of supporters. In Sydney the distance covered is often 45km or more.

It's a big deal.

You know what? That's just mean... it's not meant to initimidate

I've heard that the song is relevant as the Swans have an affiliation with the Boston Red Sox but have no proof of that and haven't bothered calling the swans to check. But regardless, the crowd is obviously having a good time and enjoying themselves, so why change it to something they don't know?

I agree. It’s better than ‘Never Tear Us Apart’, which is really funny when it precedes Port being torn apart in games.

Dear Bloodied52 ,

Thank you for your reasoned and polite response to my queries.

The only games I remember ever being sell-outs are finals (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). According to Footywire, the attendance for our 5 home games this year has been a total of 163,969 with an average attendance of 32,794. I disagree that the club would be concerned, in fact I think that the club would be pretty happy with the trajectory of attendances since 2012, and not worry about an off night.

To support my views on this matter I have listed the attendances statistics from 2012 to date for home games (excluding finals) as reported by Footywire:

Year Games Total Average
2018 5 163,969 32,794
2017 11 367,376 33,398*
2016 11 367,679 33,425
2015 11 346,735 31,521
2014 11 358,541 32,595
2013 11 311,266 28,297
2012 11 274,795 24,981
*Note that 2017 numbers were reduced only slightly after the 0-6 start.

Whilst I agree that the media department has been somewhat tardy, and perhaps even stingy, with the information provided to supporters, information regarding the next home game is always up within 24 hours of the completion of the previous home game, in most cases immediately after.

I do agree that a larger number of Saturday afternoon and Sunday games will boost attendances, but this must be offset against media coverage a Thursday or Friday night game get. However, I am not sure what other strategies the club could use to boost attendances. Perhaps you could enlighten me?

Kindest regards

Cranky Crowd Member

Haha ... a good response! Thanks for the data on attendance figures. Accept many of the points raised about family and disability (I note Wolfie's post) difficulties posed by night matches. Nonetheless I thought the terrific increase in Club memberships would translate to larger home crowds.

Tesla Tenet's grim story of the Champion dinner (see above) leaves a bitter taste. No doubt the Corporates were well catered for. I believe the Club can and do much better for its members than it does. The Club enjoys a terrific and well earned reputation as an ethical and well run joint. Stories such as Tesla Tenets can lead to to member disaffection and influence whether we will attend games, be this at night or during the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back