Schache to CHB or Full Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Shacf501

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok.... hear me out. We all know Josh Schache has some short falls as a forward at this stage. Why don't we put a preseason into him playing down back. He has a big tank, makes good decisions when he actually has the ball and he would be initiating the contact and physical side not of the game not his opponent. He's not getting a game anyway and we are crying out for another big backman. Still young enough to learn! We failed with Liam Jones and he has turned into a reasonable backman for the blues.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

Sending a forward prospect to defence can be a good idea when they have a few good athletic traits but can't get their hands on the footy forward enough. Speed, leap, contested marking, strength, and balance are some. Schache doesn't have any of these traits really. In fact he doesn't really have any amazing athletic abilities. What he does have is a very good knowledge of when and where to lead and a good set shot/goal sense. These skills aren't going to translate into defence.

I agree with the wing calls. Great endurance and a good kick. Need to try something with him

No from me.
I have enough of seeing defenders and forwards come to the club and be tried at opposite end of grounds.

And our assistant coaches have enough trouble coaching defenders how to defend and forwards how to be forwards and they struggle with that let alone teaching them other way round.

No from me.
I have enough of seeing defenders and forwards come to the club and be tried at opposite end of grounds.

And our assistant coaches have enough trouble coaching defenders how to defend and forwards how to be forwards and they struggle with that let alone teaching them other way round.
New assistants might solve all the issues

Ok.... hear me out. We all know Josh Schache has some short falls as a forward at this stage. Why don't we put a preseason into him playing down back. He has a big tank, makes good decisions when he actually has the ball and he would be initiating the contact and physical side not of the game not his opponent. He's not getting a game anyway and we are crying out for another big backman. Still young enough to learn! We failed with Liam Jones and he has turned into a reasonable backman for the blues.
Thoughts?
I think it's a great idea. Totally changes the dynamic for the player. At CHB you don't really have to make the play, you need to respond to what your direct opponent is doing. You can be totally negative (unless you're sure you're in the clear) and it's a different type of pressure. Goes from being the hunted to the hunter.
Forwards often have to take the ball and then turn toward goal, but the backs more often have the luxury of playing straight ahead.
A lot of excellent AFL backline players entered the system as forwards and then forged a career in the backline. There doesn't seem to be a lot to lose with Josh and it might just give him a notable career, and the Dogs a reliable asset.
I also want Timmy English on a wing/2nd ruck, but we need to find a 1st ruck before that can happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d keep Schache on the list and play him forward. He leads really well and our forward line seems to function better when he is in. Yes he can lack intensity but he knows how to kick a goal.
Interestingly he’s been in the system for less time that Roarke Smith and the same as Garnder.

Not a good idea for a player who the club has publicly acknowledged has been kept out of the side for extended periods because he needs to work on the physical side of his game.

Its forward or bust for him.

Last edited:
I would rather send Bruce back where he started his career and play Schache forward with Naughton and JUH. Three big guys but all mobile, have ground games. Think a forward line like that would be dangerous.
HF. JUH, Naughton, West.
F. Wallis, Schache, Weightman.
Not sure which mediums and smalls play with them other than Wallis but a dangerous forward line imo.

I'm another for trying Bruce at Full Back, last line of defence.
Not sure it will work yet he is very competitive so would at least make it hard for the opposition. Is he quick enough?
What I don't want is persisting with him for 3 more years up forward getting in the way of Naughten, English (hopefully 50% forward next year) and JUH.

I see Bruce playing as the long option nearer to the goal square being necessary to free Naughton and JUH to roam further upfield as dynamic linking players, as CHF and HFF respectively.

We certainly defend well by flooding defence, but that costs us in attack - the number of times we bring the ball forward and have nobody to kick to....its frustrating. All the F50 entries in the world but either to nobody or to everybody on the field.

Its all connected - better defensive talls allows us to ease our defensive press a little.... more athletic tall forward options gets them back into the F50 quicker.

Naughts can do it all - get around the ground fast, marking obviously and his contested/ground work is great. Like Bont, the more play he is involved with, the better. I dont want to see either of those players spending most of their time running from deep attack to defence and back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back