Schache to CHB or Full Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok.... hear me out. We all know Josh Schache has some short falls as a forward at this stage. Why don't we put a preseason into him playing down back. He has a big tank, makes good decisions when he actually has the ball and he would be initiating the contact and physical side not of the game not his opponent. He's not getting a game anyway and we are crying out for another big backman. Still young enough to learn! We failed with Liam Jones and he has turned into a reasonable backman for the blues.
Thoughts?
I am a BIG fan for Schache to be tried at CHB.
Reasons for this are
1. 200cm would be able e to give a contest in the air.
2. Is a good kick
3. Will learn from the good forwards 're leading patterns etc.
4. Confidence is gold and he just may be another Wettering in the making if he is given the opportunity.
5. If this was to work he may become a very good player with skills at both ends .

This would cost nothing and deliver t he goods as they say nothing ventured nothing gained.
Would like to see Sweet played for a minimum of 8 weeks as a second ruck let's face it you will not know until you try.

Forward. Better option than Bruce.

I don't know about better option than bruce, but Naughton and schache work together much better. And I don't want schache to get another game with us unless he's willing to put his body on the line.

The question mark would be about his confidence which must now be shot ; and our coaching staffs capacity to develop him. Our generally crowded forward set ups wouldnt suit Josh. Although he can make space when not impeded by slow half forwards. Just doesn't seem to be a good fit with our club at the moment.

Sending a forward prospect to defence can be a good idea when they have a few good athletic traits but can't get their hands on the footy forward enough. Speed, leap, contested marking, strength, and balance are some. Schache doesn't have any of these traits really. In fact he doesn't really have any amazing athletic abilities. What he does have is a very good knowledge of when and where to lead and a good set shot/goal sense. These skills aren't going to translate into defence.
I have a slightly different take on that, Schache has an ability to read the play quite well. As you state with his timing of when too lead. If we were to allow him to read the play and peel off and be the intercept marker that we so desperately need. I think he could be quite effective and he isn't a liability with ball in hand.
Something worth exploring and could pay off, also leaves him the opportunity to spoil if not in the perfect spot

So let me be clear, are you saying you are against the idea??

You cannot have a CHB or FB that doesn’t like to be in traffic and isnt a fan of body contact.

You can’t hide footy players on an AFL ground

Schache won't be successful as a KPP at all. Either a third tall on the flank, or by a massive stretch a winger, but he lacks the aggression and physicality required to be a key defender. The same traits he lacks to be a KPF become an issue as a KPD so i see no reason defence would work any better for him.

Wouldn't mind trying him up forward again next season, but probably better we trade him out since JUH will be competing for the same spot anyway

Don’t see it working at full back. Other than being a good kick, I’m not sure any of his other traits really translate down back. We’re already refusing to play a defender in Lewis Young who probably shares similar problems in his game.

He was pretty decent at the end of last season (19 goals from the ten games since returning). He played well against North and was truly awful against Carlton this year and probably would’ve seen him again if not for the concussion and other niggles after that. By the time he was fit they’d decided they were sticking with Bruce no matter how poorly he played.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was traded but if he is still on our list (and I hope he is) I’d be keeping him forward. He’d get another chance and can contribute. Think he’ll always be a frustrating player because he isn’t a guy that has contributed week to week or looks like a guy that would do that but he has enough qualities that he is a useful player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back