Scheduling Lunacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
So it's early January... effectively mid-Summer... and international cricket in Australia has finished.

WTF.

OK, so there was the T20 World Cup last year. But the Australian summer has consisted of 3 one-dayers against England, 2 Tests against West Indies and 3 Tests against South Africa.

Am I the only one that thinks this seems very lean?

Another insane scheduling decision is that the Windies are coming here 2 summers in a row. Quite apart from the fact their hapless performance leaving little excitement for a repeat dose, there should never be ANY side that comes two summers in a row.

The rotation of touring sides used to work on a perfect 4 year cycle, until the greedy grubs at CA and ECB thought they could chase extra revenue through squeezing an early Ashes in for 2013/14 under the highly questionable excuse that it would avoid the 2015 world cup.

That's been compounded by the WTC schedule not having enough oversight by the ICC, who ideally would be able to enforce a strict home and away alternation in each cycle. Now we get ludicrous situations where Windies will come here 2 years in a row, but Australia has not toured the Caribbean since 2015!

they way cricket is run, the sport has a dark future other than the "tippie go" form of the game

Not even convinced about that.

I suspect when CA set the schedule this year, they figured leaving January clear of any international cricket would pave the way for a huge BBL... hasn't really worked out that way. They've managed to screw up the BBL and ODIs and Test matches. It's a pretty colossal cluster*.

they way cricket is run, the sport has a dark future other than the "tippie go" form of the game
It may not happen in our life time, but in the next 50-100 years, I can see only the T20 version of the game played.

I can't believe people here have forgotten about the blockbuster ODI and T20 series that will be played between the Australia and Pakistan womens teams over the next couple of weeks, I'm sure everyone will be riveted to that.

I don't mind women's cricket but isn't there a rather large gulf between these two teams?

The windies tour next year will fail miserably. Not many are going to fork out for tickets after this summers effort. Expect crowds to be a record low for those tests...

i doubt it.

most of us go to watch the aussies.

each aussie major city only hosts 1 test per year. it's a case of attend or miss out for the year.

it's the media who pump up the england and india series.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it's early January... effectively mid-Summer... and international cricket in Australia has finished.

WTF.

OK, so there was the T20 World Cup last year. But the Australian summer has consisted of 3 one-dayers against England, 2 Tests against West Indies and 3 Tests against South Africa.

Am I the only one that thinks this seems very lean?

we had:
3 odi's v zimbabwe
3 odi's v new zealand
3 odi's v england

2 t20's v west indies
3 t20's v england
t20 world cup

not sure why we couldnt host sri lanka next summer instead of the west indies again.

last time we hosted sri lanka was the summer of 2018/19 just before the WTC started.

the WTC cycles running the next 8 years , we don't host sri lanka.

the 'earliest' we will host them is 2027/28 summer.

i doubt it.

most of us go to watch the aussies.

each aussie major city only hosts 1 test per year. it's a case of attend or miss out for the year.

it's the media who pump up the england and india series.
Yes, I'm usually more excited to play South Africa or West Indies but it just so happens they both are now s**t so there is a real void in the international cricket menu whilst this continues.

That's the point. Stop scheduling meaningless stuff and actually give us some real ODI series of three teams.
I can barely remember a meaningful series in nearly two decades.
The schedule lunancy is now hit the jackpot of lunancy of open the schedule for other sports and interests to fill people's attention and what they willing to spend money on.

That's the point. Stop scheduling meaningless stuff and actually give us some real ODI series of three teams.
I can barely remember a meaningful series in nearly two decades.
The schedule lunancy is now hit the jackpot of lunancy of open the schedule for other sports and interests to fill people's attention and what they willing to spend money on.
Why are ODIs played between 3 teams meaningful but played between 2 teams meaningless?

Why are ODIs played between 3 teams meaningful but played between 2 teams meaningless?
Usually because there is a battle for the 3 teams to make a final that makes it more interesting. The team that misses out feels like chumps.
With two teams there no variety but I personally have not said it meaningless due to only two. That is your take it would seem on my preference for 3,

Is complaining about West Indies coming 2 summers in a row a bit like complaining that your AFL side plays home games against the same side in Rd 21, 2022 and Rd 3, 2023?

Australia play 13 Tests between those two series against the other 3 best sides in the World before going back and playing WI as its the start of a new FTP cycle. Its just happened that they played at the end of one cycle and the start of another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back