SCARD

Team Captain
Jun 5, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Swans
I would have thought Xavier would have gone quiet with all the publicity your school has received lately. Are you guys using wheelie bins at training?

APS_talentscout

Debutant
Aug 9, 2005
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I dont believe that GC or GG or Carey or BGS give any scholarships do they??
If so fair effort by BGS, of course well done to other schools but how have BGS done so well??? Their coach must be doing something right or they must be on drugs... They are doing something dodgy surely???
I hate scholarships so credit to teams like Carey, GC, GG and BGS as they are the only schools i believe dont give any scholarships out truthfully....

Footy1

Draftee
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
no matter what anyone thinks geelong college have no first XVIII players on scholarships. there has never been one and never will be one. beleive it or not but its the truth!!!!!!!

hudson22

Debutant
Jul 23, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
nah u listen here mate, i could invest a million bux into highpoint sec and turn them into a team that wins the aps football and dominates every year but ur missing the point. All schools gives out one or two but 15-22 is just plain ridiculous. Haileybury must have a higher salary cap than afl clubs. and finally i would like to see the type of team haileybury put on the park with no cheque book transactions evident, it would be a bigger event than the international comedy gala.

ur damn right, hailebury are a joke, how can you argue that a team can come from nowhere to damn near undefeatable in the space of a year without buying a team it doesnt happen, one or two scholarships are acceptable but because of hailebury going overboard the school principles supposedly agreed not to give any, an agreement some schools have followed but most havnt, to the detriment of the honest schools, hailebury are a joke and will never be respected by anybody who knows anything about APS footy

May 9, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
ur damn right, hailebury are a joke, how can you argue that a team can come from nowhere to damn near undefeatable in the space of a year without buying a team it doesnt happen, one or two scholarships are acceptable but because of hailebury going overboard the school principles supposedly agreed not to give any, an agreement some schools have followed but most havnt, to the detriment of the honest schools, hailebury are a joke and will never be respected by anybody who knows anything about APS footy

well said, no matter what anyone from hailebury might say something like 10 out of 11 of their cricket players were on scholarships for various sports this yr and i wouldnt be surprised if the same sorta thing happened with footy. hell everyone does have scholarships but at hailebury its just rediculous, and any attempt to vindicate that is equally rediculous

WatchOut

Team Captain
May 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I was shocked at the number of scholarship boys who did not play for vic metro u/16 yesterday.

What is their priority - school footy or Victorian footy ?????

They must be very confident or know something the other boy's don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary_Ablett_5

Debutant
May 13, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
St Kevins give ridiculous amount of scholarships its not funny. about 5 members of their athletics team are on them and they all do numerous events.

they have just signed about 5 football players as well in a attempt to be good.
they are dirty cheats

why don't u back up these claims with some evidence... who are these 5 players u talk about...? instead of just spinning Sh## with no evidence.

notorious_big

Debutant
May 14, 2007
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton

Hailebury are frekin cheats and ruin the APS. It's a shame they are s**t-house this year... I think they may have to recruit judd mid-season to save their APS year. I spose everyone does give a few scholoarships, but at the moment Xavs for one doesn't have a single one, we did last year tho.

bohemoth

Debutant
Mar 27, 2007
kew
AFL Club
Essendon
i want some comfirmation
davo#5, do scotch have scholarship players in their 1st 18?

Of course scotch have scholarships. Ever heard of Cyril Rioli? It seems now that Xavier is the only school without them which is sad. And for all u cynical bastards out there it is in the school's mission statement and is something that we r very proud of. st kevins bought an athletics title now they r trying to buy a football premiership. we all know how bad hailbury and CGS have been but don't let other schools fly under the radar.

Danzig

Rookie
May 15, 2007
kew
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course scotch have scholarships. Ever heard of Cyril Rioli? It seems now that Xavier is the only school without them which is sad. And for all u cynical bastards out there it is in the school's mission statement and is something that we r very proud of. st kevins bought an athletics title now they r trying to buy a football premiership. we all know how bad hailbury and CGS have been but don't let other schools fly under the radar.

end of story

WatchOut

Team Captain
May 14, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I never heard of Sporting Scholarships at the Catholic Schools. Do St. Bernard's, Parade St. Joeys not offer them? If not it is surprising their star footballers have stuck around.

Footy1

Draftee
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
all these idio*s are saying that every school has scholarships. Geelong College dont, i find it hard to beleive that xavier dont but alright. not one 1st XVIII Geelong College footballer is on a scholarship and there was none last year either!!

Gravy133

Rookie
Jul 24, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
all these idio*s are saying that every school has scholarships. Geelong College dont, i find it hard to beleive that xavier dont but alright. not one 1st XVIII Geelong College footballer is on a scholarship and there was none last year either!!

I have no doubt at all that that's true, however, you've got to take into account the different circumstances the two APS schools in Geelong are under; there's one TAC cup team in Geelong, and most of their players are from the Geelong area. Therefore, if these players are wanting to go to an APS school, then they only have two options, which eliminates the need for scholarships, which are used by Melbourne-based schools (before the Haileybury era) to attract students to their schools because there's so much more competition. In other words, if there were 4 or 5 big, prestigious private schools in Geelong, then the need for scholarships would arise.
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally opposed to the mass recruiting undergone by some schools, and I've said so on these forums, particularly last season, but at the same time it's unfair to compare the two Geelong schools to others because of the different ways the schools are forced to operate.

Footy1

Draftee
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
that is pretty stupid considering there alot of good footy players in the geelong region that dont go to private schools. guy okeefe from grammar would never have gone there without a scholarship. all the point i wanted to put across is college dont do it never have. grammar have started doing it so gravy that wrecks your point that your trying to make

nostril

Debutant
Aug 11, 2005
Melbourne
Who in the APS dont offer scholarships?

I know Brighton and Xavier dont. Ive heard Geelong Grammar opened 6 new spots in their boarding housed for football, or is this not true?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back