Food, Drink & Dining Out School Canteen Food

Remove this Banner Ad

In primary school I was allowed to order my lunch from the canteen once a week as a treat, usually Friday, it was always something to look forward to knowing you would be having pies, chips, donuts and choc milk for lunch instead of the usual boring sandwiches, muesli bars and fruit juice.

There wouldn't be the same excitement ordering from the canteen now if it's just all healthy food like salad rolls and fruit.

I was in the same boat. Used to get Friday lunch money which was a couple of gold coins, maybe $2 or $3. In hindsight probably taught me how to budget as I'd work out how much I could get for what I had between recess, lunch and going to the shops after school. $3 went a long way in 1993.

I remember starting year 8 and the high school canteen was next level. They had cornjacks and soft drinks and chocolate bars etc. which shocked me at the time. The primary school had pretty basic stuff (pies, sausage rolls, cheesies) that wasn't health food, but you couldn't buy chocolates and Coke. It would be pretty hard to get excited about sushi and chicken and salad wraps, but then with the way people feed their kids these days school canteens are probably healthier than home lunches.

The toasted cheesies and the chocolate cake mud cake

My school did the hot dog roll with a couple slices of cheese in it, then nuked for 30 seconds.

That s**t was epic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

School was just around the corner from the local Fish 'n Chip shop

At lunch times we used to be allowed to go and get 10c worth of chips wrapped in paper

10c bought a lot back then

... and yes, my school photos are in black and white

I remember primary school had a tuck shop on Fridays

We only ever had anything from it when Mum was on tuck shop duty

School was just around the corner from the local Fish 'n Chip shop

At lunch times we used to be allowed to go and get 10c worth of chips wrapped in paper

10c bought a lot back then

... and yes, my school photos are in black and white

There was a Fish 'n Chip shop across the road from our primary school and if you got a permission note from your parents you were allowed to go across there at lunch time to get fish'n chips for lunch. It was so popular they started doing a school special there, the old greek bloke running the joint must have loved all the extra business he got from us.

The only downside was other kids nicking your chips when your brought them back to school.

School has a bakery that delivers lunch orders. Still not the same imo
One of my first qs to the principal when he gave me a tour was "wheres the canteen" was like gtfo there isnt one
That's like some kindergarten level sh*t. Is that normal for Victorian schools?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back