Sports School faction carnivals

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The soccer shirt thread just reminded me of these. Surely the one day when the scholarly/sport false dichotomy shone as bright as a gold faction win.

What were you good at? Did you prefer swimming or athletic carnivals? Did you prefer the exclusivity but weird vibes of an interschool, or the s**t-hanging of just your own school's?

I personally hated running. I'm so slow unless there's a footy to be grabbed. Our faction (gold) had about four of us who'd always come first, second, and third or else we'd get flogged. We won it in our last year of primary school, too. Hated those novelty events.

As for swimming, I was all about the breastroke – always killed it but choked under the Thursday night pressure of the interschool carnival.

So...

It weird, I did Little Aths (and loved it when I was a kid)- probably sprinting was my best.

Now as an adult, I hate running, much prefer to be in the water.

In High School sport was a big thing- we spent 5/6 periods (which is almost a whole day) a week on PE and sport. Tried alot of different ones, but Netball was probably my fav.

I was always a strong swimmer, made state teams. So yeah, dominated at swimming carnivals. Also super fit at school (before drinking and eating more fast food started...), so was also a really good endurance runner and made state teams for cross country. Not such a good sprinter though, unless it's on sand.

I've still got good stamina to this day though. Not sure why, as I don't train anywhere near as much, guess it's just something you build up over time.

Also I never saw the point of being able to running fast (or indeed at all), that's a skill only needed for a career in sports or crime, neither of which I was ever considering.
This was also my feeling toward learning differential calculus at school, I was pretty sure after I sat my Matric maths exam I was a never going to use it again, something that has proved to be correct.

Was Champion boy and school Captain in swimming for years 11& 12 but never got a top 3 in Interschool.

My best skill (long distance running) was negated by having the little athletics State champ and runner up for 1500m in my year so didn't even get the nod for Interschool.

School carnivals in Primary school were the best fun and I loved being the leaderball leader.

Was the second best long distance runner in primary school (always beaten by that lamewad Tendai Mzungu) and would constantly hit top 5 in inter-school long distance as well, got a pile of "4th" ribbons for it, about 5 out of the 7 years i did it :/

I consistantly destroyed everyone at swimming however, Helps been a 6'3" with a 6'8" length at 12 and being properly taught technique really means i had no excuse.

I sound pretty athletic don't i?

Couldnt leave the ground in high jump/long jump

Couldnt run quicker then 15 seconds over 100m

I consistantly destroyed everyone at swimming however, Helps been a 6'3" with a 6'8" length at 12 and being properly taught technique really means i had no excuse.
This was my problem I didn't really shoot up until I was fifteen and I only managed 5'8" in a good light, hardly an athletic build. By then I had read Thompson's Great Shark Hunt and discovered that there were a lot more fun things to do than with your life than the choices I was currently being offered.
My crowning school sporting achievement was a solitary game in the first XI bowling my largely indifferent leg breaks.

I liked the athletics carnival but was pretty indifferent at everything. On the other hand I was in the most unathletic House in the school, so I looked pretty respectable by comparison. Most of the time we dominated the Music and Drama competitions and got flogged in everything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rd faster swimmer (overall) in my year level. The top 4 guys in our school in Year 12 were all separated by less than 1 second over 50 metres freestyle. Because of this, we broke the interschool record by about 10 seconds when it came time.

Was never really a runner. Can sprint alright, but running long distances, quickly, at least is not my thing. Probably around top 15 sprinters out of the 60-70 guys in my year level. Worse when it came to cross-country. Hated cross country.

I used to be really good at cross country/1500 metres until I was about 15 and everyone overtook me.

I despised PE with a passion at school, organised sportsdays likewise. If my 20th reunion is anything to go by anyway, a lot of the guys and gals that were good back then at that sort of s**t seemed to be the sort of people whose life peaked in high school.
I do get what you mean, plenty of douchers pretty much hung their hats on winning ribbons in year 5. I'm not joking. By the time it was year 10 it was all a bit too late.

I sound pretty athletic don't i?

Couldnt leave the ground in high jump/long jump

Couldnt run quicker then 15 seconds over 100m
Same! I was useless at long jump, triple jump, and high jump. I've never had a growth spurt and I've always just been average height, so I struggled at stuff like that. Major issue was just not caring enough, either – something that really limited my opportunity in sports I cared about, even.

Faction captain was a load of s**t, too. I could actually respect it if the best athletes got it, but why did johnny-won't-speak always get it? Does the worst speller get spelling awards? The kid who can't do his three times table get the maths award?

This was my problem I didn't really shoot up until I was fifteen and I only managed 5'8" in a good light, hardly an athletic build. By then I had read Thompson's Great Shark Hunt and discovered that there were a lot more fun things to do than with your life than the choices I was currently being offered.
My crowning school sporting achievement was a solitary game in the first XI bowling my largely indifferent leg breaks.
I quite seriously got headhunted by Football/Basketball teams like the Perth Demons development/Swan districts at a young age, Picked the Demons development guys and by the age of 15 sussed out i couldnt kick and wasnt going to grow an gave Dayle gartlett a run for his money in turning up hung over so i was booted out

At our school, House Captains were chosen from the prefect corps. That august body tended to the academic more than the athletic. Captains usually had some sporting involvement but usually weren't star athletes.

I don't think its a big deal. The job is more about organising and public speaking than anything else. The best athlete usually isn't the best leader.

I was one of the "house leaders" note leader not captain.. So slightly less responsibility, however was interesting at the swimming carnival, we were expected to lead by example and I could barely swim. Still entered a few races, came last, did the 50m freestroke by walking the pool, did another one by riding on a mates back. Then so I could at least say I got one ribbon in high school swimming my mates rigged the Seal Ball so I could come third.

None the less I gave anything a shot, would do any sport I got selected for even if I was s**t or hated it and would run my ass off until I threw up, that and the fact I bailed on a date with my girlfriend to make high school cricket tryouts were probably the high points for me. Perhaps add in the year 12 P.E bike ride and being the only one to show up on a bmx.

I was awesome in the swimming carnivals, so I did events pretty much all day in that, but I never bothered with athletics, as i'm slow and s**t at all of the events. In year 12 I did the walk, but got disqualified for running the last 10m as I had just been overtaken while in 3rd position.

Don't mind swimming, I've got to state (Where I went on to get smashed by kids with 8 packs) before and never trained in my life. I don't take it seriously though just do it to get another few days off school.

Never really bothered with athletics except the 100m sprint, always make sure I come in the top 4 (which is a bit of a challenge for me) so I get a day off for the relay. :p

Don't mind swimming, I've got to state (Where I went on to get smashed by kids with 8 packs) before and never trained in my life. I don't take it seriously though just do it to get another few days off school.
Haha, exactly. I used to do mine in boardies and go really well, and flog everyone in breastroke. Blokes rocking up in utensil jocks and doing 6am trainings was just so lame.

Haha, exactly. I used to do mine in boardies and go really well, and flog everyone in breastroke. Blokes rocking up in utensil jocks and doing 6am trainings was just so lame.
I swam state level in footy shorts haha. Everyone else was so intense and I was just happy I wasn't stuck in maths doing algebra or some s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back