Sports School faction carnivals

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh...memories. I used to hate them but in year 8 or so I started playing football and I took up swimming as part of my fitness routine. So, from year 9 to 12 I was pretty good at the swimming events. I'm not a fast runner at all so didn't enjoy athletics as much. I used to just run the 1500 or do some half-hearted event like shot put. My house sucked though. We had six houses and I think we only made top 3 once or twice. I preferred the school football and basketball team events.

Primary school we only had an athletics day and we cared about the houses then. We had Langmore(red), Wilson(Yellow), Casey(green) and Buchanan(blue)
I think everyone got points the the house with the most points won. I much preferred inter school sport.High school had them but it wasn't really cared about All I remember was that I was in O'Neill(Blue). There also was Chisholm(green), Namatjira(red) and Clark(yellow).
High school I managed to not end up going to both athletics and Swimming carnivals until year 10. It became compulsory for years 5-10 to go to both on that same year taking part in an event or not.
I really didn't care too much about them. You knew who would win what anyway.

On the subject of houses,

- The first Primary School had houses named after Flora (Banksia which was orange or red, Wattle which was Yellow and Blue Gum which I was roped into and whose colour is bleedingly obvious)

- The second Primary School had houses named thanks to old students (Redbacks who wore the usual colour of the backs of redbacks, Ozzies...yes after the Ostrich even though they wore yellow and Jaguars which I was in in orange)

- The first High School had houses named after somewhat important people (O'Loughlin wore red, Daley wore the gold and used my services, Burford wore green and got to wear those shirts on St.Patricks day and Donnelly wore blue and was exclusive to the boarders from the remote areas. Since then Donnelly has been abolished and Daley has adopted the blue)

- The second High School had houses named after geographical locations, even though they bore no resemblance to who actually lived in them (Archer wore red and were known as the Pegasus, Berserker wore Blue and were known as the Warriors, Fitzroy were in Green and were known as the Falcons, and I was in the yellow clad Keppel Cobras. Sadly some judges simply had no idea over who was who at swimming carnivals and in the 4 years I was there we had to wear caps according to which house we were in)

From memory our school had three carnivals every year. Swimming, Athletics and Production. The house I was in did not win any carnival in the 6 years I was there, and came second once. One second out of 18 intraschool events. We had some of the best athletes in the school for my year, but a lot of list cloggers such as myself.

Inter-school sport we always held our own, we were one of the stronger schools in our competition.

Used to destroy long jump, 800m and 1500m.

Did well in inter-school long distance running in primary school, but was never a decent sprinter until the end of high school, when I finally grew and also stopped being so skinny.

Didn't matter to me much that I could flog the other kids, because by that time I was more interested in the erb than running from one spot to another really fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back