Society/Culture School principal makes boys apologize for............being born male.

Remove this Banner Ad

In my industry men can’t switch jobs at the moment because all new recruits need to be women so companies can hit their own self determined female quotas That they can then go market To the public. It doesn’t matter that few women have little interest working in my industry. It doesn’t matter that all the corporates making the decision are men and have no interest in giving their own positions to women but don’t see the hypocrisy.
This is a symptom of company office holders giving themselves soft targets so they can get bonuses more easily.

You dodging points and sealioning says plenty enough about how you actually think and that's okay too.

I respect the capitalist game.
Rubbish.

What you think is a symptom, I don't think is a symptom. You haven't presented any decent proof.

Simple as that.

Purely anecdotal but I think the percentage of children that would need teachers to be their moral compass would be extremely small.... although I admit my own children and my grandchildren have had lots of parental involvement/guidance and attended very good schools, the multitude of friends of theirs(and their parents I have met) seem fine as well.

Children (particularly primary school aged) live in the moment and want to hang with their friends and have fun, they are by and large empathetic and tolerant, they don't at all contemplate their place in the world and what is expected of them re social mores of society.
Going by discussions I've had with teachers who work in lower socioeconomic areas, it's a significant issue. I couldn't say how widespread it is overall.

It’s a fair point that they haven’t sourced their stats.

Again you haven’t sourced any credible stats to counter.

The stats can be found but you are being very submissive.
It's not everyone else's job to individually look up unsourced stats is it?

My complaint was that memes of stats are a bit iffy. Meme is unsourced, stats are unsourced. It's a Twitter thing.

Is your position that events like at this school are entirely in isolation without any social momentum leading to it ?
Nothing happens in a vacuum.

I don't think you've proved that this is a system-wide conspiracy against men, that boys are told as a matter of course that their gender is "bad" and they should be ashamed.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.

I don't think you've proved that this is a system-wide conspiracy against men, that boys are told as a matter of course that their gender is "bad" and they should be ashamed.

What would you being convinced even look like?

Boys are told their gender is bad. The culture is so thick with it that a school thought it appropriate to have them apologise.

Meanwhile the pay gap is thrown at the feet of patriarchy, when it's actually a result of women choosing careers and outside work priorities over the far more dangerous and higher paying occupations men choose.

But hey, I'm sure being the most medicated and unhappy humans ever we are on the right track.

Meanwhile the pay gap is thrown at the feet of patriarchy, when it's actually a result of
Have to agree to disagree. It's a systemic issue: the system was set up to model mainly an ability to be at a machine or in a hole in a central location X hours a day. This is given as "normal". Anything else is "not normal" and penalised. It's a solvable problem.

Have to agree to disagree. It's a systemic issue: the system was set up to model mainly an ability to be at a machine or in a hole in a central location X hours a day. This is given as "normal". Anything else is "not normal" and penalised. It's a solvable problem.
I’m not sure I understand your point. What do you mean exactly by the system is set up to be at a machine or a hole?

I’m not sure I understand your point. What do you mean exactly by the system is set up to be at a machine or a hole?
Was set up. Industrial revolution. Factories. Mines. Post-cottage industry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Women don't hate boys.

But mothering is very different to fathering. Women will instinctively teach kids as mothers. The problem is an imbalance given that ~95% of teachers are female and many young boys don't have a father figure at home - nor at school!

My only concern at school for my son is that they're training him to be a pussy. He's smart, diligent, creative and conscientious... but not really being conditioned to be mentally tough. Resilience was something past generations were trained in. I'm not calling for corporal punishment but from what I can see schools are creating a generation of pussies.
Schools aren't responsible for conditioning students to be mentally tough.

They do teach resilience skills - but for many students, it is purely theoretical. Kids build resilience through direct experience of hardship - which varies from student to student. It could be exam stress, relationship problems, bullying, work/school pressures, extreme parent expectations, self-harm, drug-use at home, parents dying - the list is endless. Schools provide support in the form of counsellors/wellbeing to help them manage the mental aspects of hardship and minimise any potential for long-term trauma.

I don't think past generations had anywhere near the same supports that kids today have - and while many may have been conditioned to be strong and resilient, a significant proportion are also ****ed in the head from past trauma.

It's a fine line between hardship and trauma - and it differs for each individual student. Trauma hinders brain and social development - which can have long-term consequences during formative years. Schools don't want to deal with parents complaints, legal liability for any traumatic experiences - which is why they tend to err on the safe side. Outdoor education and camps are probably the only situations where kids are taken out of their comfort zone in a school environment.

Last edited:
Was set up. Industrial revolution. Factories. Mines. Post-cottage industry.
i still don’t get your point? What has this got to do with the pay gap? Very few jobs are in mining and factories these days. What about the work week and pay structure is suitable for mining and factories and not other jobs?

im not disagreeing with you I just don’t understand your point. As someone with an economics background this sort of stuff interests me but ive never heard such a point like this before.

Schools aren't responsible for conditioning students to be mentally tough.

They do teach resilience skills - but for many students, it is purely theoretical. Kids build resilience through direct experience of hardship - which varies from student to student. It could be exam stress, relationship problems, bullying, work/school pressures, extreme parent expectations, self-harm, drug-use at home, parents dying - the list is endless. Schools provide support in the form of counsellors/wellbeing to help them manage the mental aspects of hardship and minimise any potential for long-term trauma.

I don't think past generations had anywhere near the same supports that kids today have - and while many may have been conditioned to be strong and resilient, a significant proportion are also f’ed in the head from past trauma.

It's a fine line between hardship and trauma - and it differs for each individual student. Trauma hinders brain and social development - which can have long-term consequences during formative years. Schools don't want to deal with parents complaints, legal liability for any traumatic experiences - which is why they tend to err on the safe side. Outdoor education and camps are probably the only situations where kids are taken out of their comfort zone in a school environment.

What's your view on whether teenage boys are better off being taught by male teachers?

From my experience it didn't matter in the classroom whether the teacher was male or female. It was the extra-curricula activity that made a difference. And not really about resilience but setting a good example.

Our English teacher took us camping and hiking. He didn't make a big deal of it when on the first night we were still running around the campsite at 2am, knowing we would be passed out by 9pm the next night. Our Geography teacher ran the music club. He introduced us to some great bands but also gave us some responsibility in running the club. Another male teacher taught us the basics of cricket and ran the computer club.

In general, I don't think female teachers have the same degree of association that teenage boys have with male teachers.

What about the work week and pay structure is suitable for mining and factories and not other jobs?
In simple terms, moving from cottage industry and farming land on a family’s doorstep to centralised factories (and now offices) took men away from the home for the profit of new capital owners. And here we are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back