Society/Culture School principal makes boys apologize for............being born male.

Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
I feel like the lack of interaction with other kids their age negates any benefits that homeschooling provides.

I'm trying to encourage my young bloke to question things in a general sense and not take on everything a teacher tells them, if kids have a critical mind teachers can say what they want and they'll take it with a grain of salt.

I get your point but teachers need to stay in their lane. Schools are becoming too much like indoctrination centres too much teaching children what to think rather than how to think, how to question critically. Incidents like Warnambool and Parkdale are proof of that. Hell even back when I was going to school back in 96-08 there were quite a lot of teachers that weren't encouraging critical analysis.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
This kind of annoys me. This is from the Queensland Teachers Union journal. Education is a field where women comprise 75% of the workforce and experience equality in every aspect so why the need to promote women? If anything they should be promoting men to encourage more men to join the teaching ranks.
20210428_060632.jpg

skybeau

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2006
Preston
AFL Club
Richmond
This kind of annoys me. This is from the Queensland Teachers Union journal. Education is a field where women comprise 75% of the workforce and experience equality in every aspect so why the need to promote women? If anything they should be promoting men to encourage more men to join the teaching ranks.View attachment 1113244

Well from the brief look I've had, equality in most things aside from leadership positions. So a very brief profile of a female indigenous leadership figure seems appropriate.
But I look forward to seeing your brief profile in the next publication talking about how to attract more men into teaching.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I get your point but teachers need to stay in their lane. Schools are becoming too much like indoctrination centres too much teaching children what to think rather than how to think, how to question critically. Incidents like Warnambool and Parkdale are proof of that. Hell even back when I was going to school back in 96-08 there were quite a lot of teachers that weren't encouraging critical analysis.

Fair enough. And what I’ve learned over my school career is that educators don’t try to encourage critical thinking, they try to teach you to think how they do, this especially goes for the tertiary sector.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Well from the brief look I've had, equality in most things aside from leadership positions. So a very brief profile of a female indigenous leadership figure seems appropriate.
But I look forward to seeing your brief profile in the next publication talking about how to attract more men into teaching.

I don't know about leadership positions. Females are very well-represented on my school's leadership team.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club

We do try to teach students critical thinking skills. In other words, back opinions / arguments up with robust evidence. And be prepared to have both arguments and the robustess of evidence questioned / critically examined. This is the bread and butter of the subjects I teach.

Fair enough. And what I’ve learned over my school career is that educators don’t try to encourage critical thinking, they try to teach you to think how they do, this especially goes for the tertiary sector.
Thing is that a student is not likely to have the knowledge to upend the full body of work that the course is gradually revealing to them. They try out some anti-feminist arguments they learned from politics forums and they come up short. Then blame the lecturer for being an inflexible leftie.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Thing is that a student is not likely to have the knowledge to upend the full body of work that the course is gradually revealing to them. They try out some anti-feminist arguments they learned from politics forums and they come up short. Then blame the lecturer for being an inflexible leftie.

"Coming up short" is I suppose subjective, and the inflexibility you refer to is often the case because said lecturer has based a large part of their life and identity around these ideaologies. So anyone who might question the validity is a threat to their very intellect and position.

When i did my MBA a while ago we had a "special guest" (ie crony of the lecturer) who was in charge of a project we were doing. This was based around the apparent fact that women are discriminated against by investors for new business opportunities and they favour male start ups because they are male. Presumably these investors are trying to make money as their first, second and third aims here but this never really came up.

I felt like questioning a few of the points made by the special guest but recognised this may not have been met positively, particularly as my demographic is the boogey man of the white straight male, so I shut up, did the work, got my distinction and moved on.

The interesting point to this is the special guest has a business which mentors young business women, both in start ups and the corporate world and it would appear we were being used as research monkeys for her. (I follow her on Linkedin).

One of my classmates had a coffee meeting with said special guest post this subject, I thought it was good that she was at least trying to mentor some of the students. Turns out she'd charged this student $100 bucks for the coffee meeting!

So yeah i'm a little bit sceptical of some areas of higher education.

One of my classmates had a coffee meeting with said special guest post this subject, I thought it was good that she was at least trying to mentor some of the students. Turns out she'd charged this student $100 bucks for the coffee meeting!
Did the student get $100 worth of value from the meeting?

"Coming up short" is I suppose subjective, and the inflexibility you refer to is often the case because said lecturer has based a large part of their life and identity around these ideaologies. So anyone who might question the validity is a threat to their very intellect and position.

When i did my MBA a while ago we had a "special guest" (ie crony of the lecturer) who was in charge of a project we were doing. This was based around the apparent fact that women are discriminated against by investors for new business opportunities and they favour male start ups because they are male. Presumably these investors are trying to make money as their first, second and third aims here but this never really came up.

I felt like questioning a few of the points made by the special guest but recognised this may not have been met positively, particularly as my demographic is the boogey man of the white straight male, so I shut up, did the work, got my distinction and moved on.

The interesting point to this is the special guest has a business which mentors young business women, both in start ups and the corporate world and it would appear we were being used as research monkeys for her. (I follow her on Linkedin).

So yeah i'm a little bit sceptical of some areas of higher education.
When I had the textbook shop I used to sling a bit of weed on the side and the MBA students were great customers, older, more discreet and they never asked for tick.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
When I had the textbook shop I used to sling a bit of weed on the side and the MBA students were great customers, older, more discreet and they never asked for tick.

There was actually two types of MBA students when I did mine: old campaigners like me who'd been working for some time and young people who had just finished undergrad and hadn't worked, kind of defeats the purpose of the MBA in my opinion but anyway.

But yes I wish I'd had a textbook dealer like yourself ha ha, though studying while baked took me down some unnecessary rabbit holes I must say!

Well no she didn't think it was worth it to be honest, but buyer beware and all of that. I feel there's something a bit sneaky about selling your services like that in an education environment, but hey it's probably not a bad business to be in if you can get it.
I don't think there is big money in getting the odd hundred bucks off students. If she's not offering good value, she won't get much business anyway.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't think there is big money in getting the odd hundred bucks off students. If she's not offering good value, she won't get much business anyway.

Maybe not, but it doesn't seem ethical to me. Might be similar to a lecturer offering private tutoring to students for a fee, though that probably provides more value than a coffee chat.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

I found almost universally, the best lecturers (and tutors) I had when I was studying were the ones who'd left the academic environment and worked in the field, in the real world.

The worst, again, almost universally, were those who'd never left academia.

There's a massive distinction between working in a real world environment and working in a fairly closed academic one.

Maybe not, but it doesn't seem ethical to me. Might be similar to a lecturer offering private tutoring to students for a fee, though that probably provides more value than a coffee chat.
If the person hasn't been paid, they might be doing it to plug their service. If your course doesn't have the cash to pay for its guest speakers I suppose you might want to talk to them about it.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I found almost universally, the best lecturers (and tutors) I had when I was studying were the ones who'd left the academic environment and worked in the field, in the real world.

The worst, again, almost universally, were those who'd never left academia.

There's a massive distinction between working in a real world environment and working in a fairly closed academic one.

Funny, we had a subject with an academic and a business type, they clashed a lot in basically everything ha ha

No, that's not the issue. So many times we get these outrage headlines and it turns out to be slightly more edgy than an episode of Happy Days. Because of this I ask about the context and facts.
I heard that the Youth Worker in question is also one involved with counselling children from the school about LGTBI issues.

IE if you want to come out and have issues doing it she would be involved.

I can see how what happened would create trust issues if one of those straight, white, Christian males she singled out wasn't straight but hadn't told anyone yet. (Because maybe they were from a Christian background and were uncomfortable coming out or maybe from general fear of homophobia.) It has the potential to create a situation where that kid (if they exist) won't access a support network that is specifically there for them cos of that incident. In a worst case scenario that could result in suicide.

I've also heard Parkdale Secondary has had some issues with suicide and can see why this behaviour would upset parents. None of this is covered by the tabloid reporting as far as I know.

I rarely (ie never) have sympathy for this sort of "save us from reverse racism" bullshit either. It does seem there is more to this than just that. This is anecdotal stuff but I trust the source.

I'm not saying that the hypothetical situation I described has happened. But the incident has created the potential for that and that may have driven some of the parents response as well. It is a breach of trust imo.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
This kind of annoys me. This is from the Queensland Teachers Union journal. Education is a field where women comprise 75% of the workforce and experience equality in every aspect so why the need to promote women? If anything they should be promoting men to encourage more men to join the teaching ranks.View attachment 1113244

A professional neurotic.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We do try to teach students critical thinking skills. In other words, back opinions / arguments up with robust evidence. And be prepared to have both arguments and the robustess of evidence questioned / critically examined. This is the bread and butter of the subjects I teach.

Your position appears to run completely contra to the thread topic.

Has this misandrist been removed from office yet?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The Brearley Letter

April 13, 2021

Dear Fellow Brearley Parents,

Our family recently made the decision not to reenroll our daughter at Brearley for the 2021-22 school year. She has been at Brearley for seven years, beginning in kindergarten. In short, we no longer believe that Brearley’s administration and Board of Trustees have any of our children’s best interests at heart. Moreover, we no longer have confidence that our daughter will receive the quality of education necessary to further her development into a critically thinking, responsible, enlightened, and civic minded adult. I write to you, as a fellow parent, to share our reasons for leaving the Brearley community but also to urge you to act before the damage to the school, to its community, and to your own child's education is irreparable.

It cannot be stated strongly enough that Brearley’s obsession with race must stop. It should be abundantly clear to any thinking parent that Brearley has completely lost its way. The administration and the Board of Trustees have displayed a cowardly and appalling lack of leadership by appeasing an anti-intellectual, illiberal mob, and then allowing the school to be captured by that same mob. What follows are my own personal views on Brearley's antiracism initiatives, but these are just a handful of the criticisms that I know other parents have expressed.

I object to the view that I should be judged by the color of my skin. I cannot tolerate a school that not only judges my daughter by the color of her skin, but encourages and instructs her to prejudge others by theirs. By viewing every element of education, every aspect of history, and every facet of society through the lens of skin color and race, we are desecrating the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and utterly violating the movement for which such civil rights leaders believed, fought, and died.

I object to the charge of systemic racism in this country, and at our school. Systemic racism, properly understood, is segregated schools and separate lunch counters. It is the interning of Japanese and the exterminating of Jews. Systemic racism is unequivocally not a small number of isolated incidences over a period of decades. Ask any girl, of any race, if they have ever experienced insults from friends, have ever felt slighted by teachers or have ever suffered the occasional injustice from a school at which they have spent up to 13 years of their life, and you are bound to hear grievances, some petty, some not. We have not had systemic racism against Blacks in this country since the civil rights reforms of the 1960s, a period of more than 50 years. To state otherwise is a flat-out misrepresentation of our country's history and adds no understanding to any of today's societal issues. If anything, longstanding and widespread policies such as affirmative action, point in precisely the opposite direction.

I object to a definition of systemic racism, apparently supported by Brearley, that any educational, professional, or societal outcome where Blacks are underrepresented is prima facie evidence of the aforementioned systemic racism, or of white supremacy and oppression. Facile and unsupported beliefs such as these are the polar opposite to the intellectual and scientific truth for which Brearley claims to stand. Furthermore, I call bullshit on Brearley's oft-stated assertion that the school welcomes and encourages the truly difficult and uncomfortable conversations regarding race and the roots of racial discrepancies.

I object to the idea that Blacks are unable to succeed in this country without aid from government or from whites. Brearley, by adopting critical race theory, is advocating the abhorrent viewpoint that Blacks should forever be regarded as helpless victims, and are incapable of success regardless of their skills, talents, or hard work. What Brearley is teaching our children is precisely the true and correct definition of racism.

I object to mandatory anti-racism training for parents, especially when presented by the rent-seeking charlatans of Pollyanna. These sessions, in both their content and delivery, are so sophomoric and simplistic, so unsophisticated and inane, that I would be embarrassed if they were taught to Brearley kindergarteners. They are an insult to parents and unbecoming of any educational institution, let alone one of Brearley's caliber.

I object to Brearley’s vacuous, inappropriate, and fanatical use of words such as “equity,” “diversity” and “inclusiveness.” If Brearley’s administration was truly concerned about so-called “equity,” it would be discussing the cessation of admissions preferences for legacies, siblings, and those families with especially deep pockets. If the administration was genuinely serious about “diversity,” it would not insist on the indoctrination of its students, and their families, to a single mindset, most reminiscent of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Instead, the school would foster an environment of intellectual openness and freedom of thought. And if Brearley really cared about “inclusiveness,” the school would return to the concepts encapsulated in the motto “One Brearley,” instead of teaching the extraordinarily divisive idea that there are only, and always, two groups in this country: victims and oppressors.

l object to Brearley’s advocacy for groups and movements such as Black Lives Matter, a Marxist, anti family, heterophobic, anti-Asian and anti-Semitic organization that neither speaks for the majority of the Black community in this country, nor in any way, shape or form, represents their best interests.

I object to, as we have been told time and time again over the past year, that the school’s first priority is the safety of our children. For goodness sake, Brearley is a school, not a hospital! The number one priority of a school has always been, and always will be, education. Brearley’s misguided priorities exemplify both the safety culture and “cover-your-ass” culture that together have proved so toxic to our society and have so damaged the mental health and resiliency of two generations of children, and counting.

I object to the gutting of the history, civics, and classical literature curriculums. I object to the censorship of books that have been taught for generations because they contain dated language potentially offensive to the thin-skinned and hypersensitive (something that has already happened in my daughter's 4th grade class). I object to the lowering of standards for the admission of students and for the hiring of teachers. I object to the erosion of rigor in classwork and the escalation of grade inflation. Any parent with eyes open can foresee these inevitabilities should antiracism initiatives be allowed to persist.

We have today in our country, from both political parties, and at all levels of government, the most unwise and unvirtuous leaders in our nation’s history. Schools like Brearley are supposed to be the training grounds for those leaders. Our nation will not survive a generation of leadership even more poorly educated than we have now, nor will we survive a generation of students taught to hate its own country and despise its history.

Lastly, I object, with as strong a sentiment as possible, that Brearley has begun to teach what to think, instead of how to think. I object that the school is now fostering an environment where our daughters, and our daughters’ teachers, are afraid to speak their minds in class for fear of “consequences.” I object that Brearley is trying to usurp the role of parents in teaching morality, and bullying parents to adopt that false morality at home. I object that Brearley is fostering a divisive community where families of different races, which until recently were part of the same community, are now segregated into two. These are the reasons why we can no longer send our daughter to Brearley.

Over the past several months, I have personally spoken to many Brearley parents as well as parents of children at peer institutions. It is abundantly clear that the majority of parents believe that Brearley’s antiracism policies are misguided, divisive, counterproductive and cancerous. Many believe, as I do, that these policies will ultimately destroy what was until recently, a wonderful educational institution. But as I am sure will come as no surprise to you, given the insidious cancel culture that has of late permeated our society, most parents are too fearful to speak up.

But speak up you must. There is strength in numbers and I assure you, the numbers are there. Contact the administration and the Board of Trustees and demand an end to the destructive and anti-intellectual claptrap known as antiracism. And if changes are not forthcoming then demand new leadership. For the sake of our community, our city, our country and most of all, our children, silence is no longer an option.

Respectfully,

Andrew Gutmann

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
haven't read all of it because it is all so tedious.. but um is it a difficult position of a male being in charge of children...
or is it a trans gender. dumb I know.. I should have been listening and reading all the themes of the meme..

Or is it a bout a man being treated atrociously because he is a male in a female/mixed school...

hand bags at five paces.. if it is that I appalled... inform me dude... I said I would be up all night..

Back