Education & Reference School principals

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
There was a story this week that a school principal has been stood down after allegedly dragging a kid through the playground.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/p...p/news-story/0ef90ab246361bbd41cd3061facc696d

There seems to be some support for the guy from parents and condemnation from others.

When I was at school our headmaster was as tough as old boots but very fair. All the kids respected him for that. If we had seen a kid being dragged through the playground like that we'd be thinking he probably deserved it.

Seems like that dude would be better off at some 1970s prep school in a UK village somewhere.

I can barely remember my primary school principal. Only memory I have of him is seeing him smoking in the carpark. High school principal was a twat, had him for a computing class or something like that. Smug arrogant prick.

What if it was your kid being dragged like that?

I would be asking them what had happened to make the principal deem it necessary to physically remove you from your classroom and it had better be 100% true.

My wife worked as an Education Assistant in WA with prep kids, for the first year of one boy she would come home daily with new bruises and bite marks on her. He would assault other kids, and fly into rages and destroy the classroom on a regular basis. When he was in one of these moods, they would get all the other kids out and let him go until he was exhausted. The mother was in denial (her 3 older kids weren't) and the school being the only 1 for 140km had their hands tied.

Why was the child not walking himself? Obviously was not following orders, so why the need to drag him in the first place?

I would be asking them what had happened to make the principal deem it necessary to physically remove you from your classroom and it had better be 100% true.

My wife worked as an Education Assistant in WA with prep kids, for the first year of one boy she would come home daily with new bruises and bite marks on her. He would assault other kids, and fly into rages and destroy the classroom on a regular basis. When he was in one of these moods, they would get all the other kids out and let him go until he was exhausted. The mother was in denial (her 3 older kids weren't) and the school being the only 1 for 140km had their hands tied.

I've never felt threatened myself (touch wood) except one time I did genuinely feel scared- back at the Government school i worked at. Student with obvious issues ranting, screaming outside the APs office (which is near my office- being the front office) calling them a ******* campaigner, bitch, srsly everything other the sun- i was really scared.

But then the flip side- worked with him 1:1 a few times and he was an angel. So idk.

Do love seeing the comments of ‘if this was my kid, I wouldn’t stand for it’. Yeah okay Susan, what exactly are you going to do since the police are already involved?

If this kid was throwing rocks at a car and assaulted a pregnant teacher he deserves what he got and then some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for our educators when stuff like this comes up. There doesn't seem to be much allowance for special techniques with problem students, or students whose parents have "outsourced" discipline to the school. People like to queue up and second guess after the event. I don't have kids so me trying to play the what if it was my kid game would be disingenuous I think.

Declaration of personal biases though - I attended Catholic schools during the 70's and 80's and experienced firsthand a sadistic nun. Responsibility and transparency key.

There was a story this week that a school principal has been stood down after allegedly dragging a kid through the playground.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/p...p/news-story/0ef90ab246361bbd41cd3061facc696d

There seems to be some support for the guy from parents and condemnation from others.

When I was at school our headmaster was as tough as old boots but very fair. All the kids respected him for that. If we had seen a kid being dragged through the playground like that we'd be thinking he probably deserved it.
and you turned out ok

This is in my town/area.
Principal has turned the school around inside 2 years.

The story out of the school community is it was the kid's first day at Manor Lakes, and he wasn't coping. Allegedly did kick a female teacher in the stomach. Principal is apparently wheeling the kid along on a sensory board. There is a lot of local support for the principal and the actions he took. Not surprisingly, the media has grabbed the 5 seconds of footage and made their story.

I had this at high school from Year 7-9.
We had a kid who dressed up however it wanted, was an undisciplined brat.
In the midst of class, would crack the shits, throw chairs, flip tables, swear and storm off on average 2 times a week.

Whilst we found it funny at first, our class soon got completely sick of it.
The level co-ordinators, clearly didn't know how to "fix it", so they bribed the kid. If he behaved for a week, then he got shouted take-away lunch on the Friday. Even though we were just kids, even we could see how incredibly unfair this was. Every other kid in our class behaved and respected each other and got squat.

FYI, he didn't get his free lunch very often and ended up in a juvenile detention centre a few years later.

This is in my town/area.
Principal has turned the school around inside 2 years.

The story out of the school community is it was the kid's first day at Manor Lakes, and he wasn't coping. Allegedly did kick a female teacher in the stomach. Principal is apparently wheeling the kid along on a sensory board. There is a lot of local support for the principal and the actions he took. Not surprisingly, the media has grabbed the 5 seconds of footage and made their story.
Kid obviously has issues that need to be dealt with professionally before we end up with a nasty little nutjob of an adult

I can’t imagine the principal’s actions was the solution to a simple case of misbehaviour. Where are the kid’s parents? If he is a twat, exhibiting reprehensible behaviour, then the parents need to pull their finger out and actively address the problem rather than handball the problem off to the school

My High School principal seemed to think everyone was meant to have pride in their school, told everyone not to talk about a fight at the school to their parents on assembly once to "protect the schools image", like I'm meant to care. It was a public high school and the only high school in the area as well so I'm not sure why she cared that much about it.

Primary school principal was a good bloke though. Always in and out of the classrooms to fix the air conditioning or something handy like that, good male role model.

Do love seeing the comments of ‘if this was my kid, I wouldn’t stand for it’. Yeah okay Susan, what exactly are you going to do since the police are already involved?

If this kid was throwing rocks at a car and assaulted a pregnant teacher he deserves what he got and then some.

It's typical Facebook bravery, it's like how everyone in Facebook comments would intervene witnessing a violent situation in the street (particularly a domestic), though commonly no one ever intervenes when s**t like this happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back