Science and You

Remove this Banner Ad

Mine was Professor Julius Sumner Miller. Why is it so? But also in Adelaide we had The Curiosity Show with Rob Morrison and Deane Hutton. Just a great show that was aimed at kids and adults that helped sell ice creams and balloons. ( experiment equipment)
God I'd forgotten about "Why is it so?".
Great TV shows in the early 60's.
Many are still around on youtube.
Like Sagan, he had a "way" of explanation which got you in and held your interest.

I watched this on ABC tv around 1991.
Made me want to learn more.
If I never watched this doco in early 1990's I doubt I would ever have taken any physics or chemistry classes. Glad I did. Learned so much from curious questions.

I like how some woman asks this Dobson dude "Is this a study you are doing?" and he says something like "It is a study you are doing"

Last edited:
Not a scientist by any means, but will always stop to read a science-y article.

I've always been fascinated by space, and the scientific explanations of why stuff happens and for what reason, as well as medical science, which I find incredible

This is my new favourite board, and I will have absolutely nothing to contribute :thumbsu:

Looking forward to seeing how this board evolves. I always liked mathematics, physics and chemistry when I was in school and didn't really think much of biology. I ended up studying Plant Science and Mathematics at uni, ended up with a PhD in plant science. Ive been a scientist with CSIRO for about 8 years now (I know there is at least a few more of us on bigfooty as well).
I still have a pretty keen interest in astronomy and physics, and my wife did her PhD in paleontology so follow that a bit as well now.

I'm not as bad as my wife though, if we go away on holidays or something she will take 50 papers and that will be her holiday reading.

Awesome board guys!

I did a medical science degree and am now in the radiology field, primarily dealing with contrast media and MRI. I find everything fascinating from the physiology and pharmacokinetics of the contrast media to the physics of the MRI unit, not to mention the evolution of medical imaging. Look forward to reading some interesting stuff in the future.

Good idea for a board! Interesting to see how it evolves.

I'm a biochemist, with just enough microbiology and organic chemistry to be dangerous. I'm currently working in agriculture, so learning plenty about mammalian and plant biology.

At home, I make beer, wine and spirits. Haven't been to a Richmond game without smuggling in some kind of homemade anesthetic since Round 6, 2007, when Geelong flogged us by 157 and the scumbags at Docklands shut the bar at half time.

I hate it that many people ignore science, and dismiss scientific research, in preference for believing pseudoscientific hogwash. Why is that? I dont get it. It occurs with food, medicine, exercise.

Pseudoscience on food is my current bugbear too, Vicky.

My working hypothesis is that food is complex, difficult to replicate exactly and humans tend to respond very differently. Bad combination for designing effective experiments. Too many variables. You need shitloads of people for trials to get any statistical power, and that's expensive.

People pay less and less for food every year, so the margins for food manufacturers is slimmer and slimmer.

So, they just make s**t up. Marketing is cheaper and easier than science, and hey, how many of us can really tell the difference between science and marketing?

My Science desire is more anthropological , especially DNA and the spread of mankind and the intermingling of cultures.
On this. I have had my DNA sample analysed for Family History purposes , as an aid to matching 4th cousins or even find if there are any Non Paternal Events ( NPEs) I uploaded my details to a site called Gedmatch which takes samples from the 3 major DNA companies and puts them in a single site for everyone to compare.

One of the fun tools they have is ''Archaic DNA Matches'' this is basically the DNA taken from archaeological sites ( mostly Europe) and uploaded to Gedmatch. Most sites say that 7CMs ( centimorgans) is a good level to look for 4th cousins etc. But the archaic also lets you go down to 0.5CMs up to 10CMs. I don't match at 7CMs but I do match at at 3CMs with kit F999916 which is from LBK Stuttgart from 7000 years ago. On the 3CMs I match on Chromosone 2,5 and 14 . I also match on F999918 which is from Loschbour Luxembourg from 8000 years ago on chromosome 10.

Just fascinating. :) (well to me it is ;) )

Edit: added link

Last edited:
Mine was Professor Julius Sumner Miller. Why is it so? But also in Adelaide we had The Curiosity Show with Rob Morrison and Deane Hutton. Just a great show that was aimed at kids and adults that helped sell ice creams and balloons. ( experiment equipment)

Who could forget Julius Sumner Miller, 'Why is this so".

Loved the Curiosity show. It was compulsory viewing. We would come back from school and be glued to the TV. Unfortunately nowadays we only have reality TV.

On this. I have had my DNA sample analysed for Family History purposes , as an aid to matching 4th cousins or even find if there are any Non Paternal Events ( NPEs) I uploaded my details to a site called Gedmatch which takes samples from the 3 major DNA companies and puts them in a single site for everyone to compare.

One of the fun tools they have is ''Archaic DNA Matches'' this is basically the DNA taken from archaeological sites ( mostly Europe) and uploaded to Gedmatch. Most sites say that 7CMs ( centimorgans) is a good level to look for 4th cousins etc. But the archaic also lets you go down to 0.5CMs up to 10CMs. I don't match at 7CMs but I do match at at 3CMs with kit F999916 which is from LBK Stuttgart from 7000 years ago. On the 3CMs I match on Chromosone 2,5 and 14 . I also match on F999918 which is from Loschbour Luxembourg from 8000 years ago on chromosome 10.

Just fascinating. :) (well to me it is ;) )

Edit: added link

Do you mind sharing where you had your analysis done? I'm quite interested in this too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you mind sharing where you had your analysis done? I'm quite interested in this too
FTDNA Family Finder test. I will upgrade when $$$ is available to a YDNA test. On FTDNA I have 978 matches to 5th cousin level. On Gedmatch I have a few more as they take files from all over.

Good luck.

Good to have someone else with lab glasses and caustic burns on board :thumbsu:

Kudos to you practical people. My PhD is in mathematical physics so I just sit at a desk and think and write and calculate all day. Unis love it though as maths departments bring down their average square footage and save heaps on labs and consumables.

Kudos to you practical people. My PhD is in mathematical physics so I just sit at a desk and think and write and calculate all day. Unis love it though as maths departments bring down their average square footage and save heaps on labs and consumables.
And more time for posting on BF ;)

What are the current thoughts in Mathematical Physics?

I always wanted to be an astronomer, but never had the maths for it. And these days have lost the little knowledge I had. I still get interested from time to time when certain things pop up but just don't have the head to really get into it.
Related to that I did a small amount of reading physics, particularly at big and small ends of the scale. Again, mostly forgotten and even more out of date now.

I never understood anything biological.

And more time for posting on BF ;)

What are the current thoughts in Mathematical Physics?
My tiny branch of it is to do with looking at models which approximate reality, but have so much symmetry and structure they can be solved exactly, rather than trying to solve real systems approximately. Things like solvable lattice models, quantum spin chains, loop models and particle hopping models.

My tiny branch of it is to do with looking at models which approximate reality, but have so much symmetry and structure they can be solved exactly, rather than trying to solve real systems approximately. Things like solvable lattice models, quantum spin chains, loop models and particle hopping models.
Sooo anything to do with fractals?

Unis love it though as maths departments bring down their average square footage and save heaps on labs and consumables.

Never worked for or with a Maths Dept at a uni, but I can see the drivers.

I know plenty of unis that have moved more heavily into Business and Economics over the past decade for exactly the same reasons. Those subjects also seem to attract a good percentage of full-fee paying students... Maybe not so much money in pure maths.

I was super keen to do a physics degree, until i started first year uni, when i found inorganic chemistry way more interesting and far easier, so i ended up down that path. Was super keen to do a PhD since i was young, and ended up doing a Masters in crystallography, then went out to work for a bit before coming back to do a PhD in organosilicon chemistry. After that i landed a postdoc in NZ in organic dyes for nonlinear optics and nanoparticles and just sort of hung around doing bits and pieces of whatever along the way. Lately its been composite materials for radiation imaging and scale up extractions of natural products from grass. Was lucky enough to tag along for some experiments in leather tanning at the Aus synchrotron last year as well.

Awesome board guys!

I did a medical science degree and am now in the radiology field, primarily dealing with contrast media and MRI. I find everything fascinating from the physiology and pharmacokinetics of the contrast media to the physics of the MRI unit, not to mention the evolution of medical imaging. Look forward to reading some interesting stuff in the future.
Do you know Messenger? He's in the same field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back