Opinion Scooter Selwood: Our new barometer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Scooter has amassed an unprecedented 34 tackles in just two weeks since returning to the side, after racking up 17 against both the Bulldogs and the Power.

The all time record for the most tackles in a game is 19!

With Scott in the team, we're averaging an incredible 112 tackles per game this season, compared to just 63 without him.

It's so refreshing having our midfield bat that little bit deeper... The whole side is lifting to match this pressure!

18623410_1348829111896831_8027902033719983401_o.jpg

Not sure if barometer is the right word, but the pressure and intensity he goes at the game seems to have spread across the team. When the guys have a look at their review of tonights game and see that Scooter had another 17 tackles this week it starts to put pressure on those guys who are going at just 1 or 2 a week to put in that little bit more - even if that is increasing to 1 tackle a quarter.

He brings to us so much physical pressure, so important to being competitive, while he is tackling so much more than everyone else I agree he is our new barometer.

I thought he was our missing piece last year TBH. The bloke is a gun. People forget he was a club captain (or co) and best and fairest at WC. It's fairly rare to have both those honours and be s**t!

He can seriously play and he is probably a borderline number 2 mid who is batting 3-4 in our midfield. Adds some further depth and hardness around the contest and he has kicked a couple of clutch goals the last two weeks. Loving it.

I feel a lot better with him in the team.

(also picked him up in a rather deep and rather competative SC draft league. Had turned that team around too!)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

No he has come in with Murdoch and Lang all 3 players are tackling machines with intent and pressure has seen us win....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Hyphen will struggle to get a spot in the team now?
Reckon so.

SS is an upgrade on what GHS offers
Yeah I agree here.

I think the addition of Selwood has created a really balanced dynamic in our midfield.

Scott Selwood - The slow, hard working mid. Tags when required, tackles like mad.
Joel Selwood - Free to leave the contest with ball in hand as often as he's found at the bottom of the pack.
Dangerfield - Playing with a newfound freedom. Finding balls that aren't there to be found. Kicking goals on the run.
Duncan - Applying immense tackling pressure, really hurting sides with his outside work.
Menegola - Popping up in the right spots to take strong marks. Floating forward.
Blicavs - As above.

Then you've got the pinch hitters...

Guthrie - Spends time down back, can shut down a small/medium forward.
Lang - Applies tackling pressure up forward, provides a nice burst of pace for a running goal
Murdoch - Adds speed on the outside
Motlop - As above

The only player from that group I can really see Horlin-Smith replacing without significantly harming the 'balance' we've found is Menegola - and Sam is killing it right now.

So Hyphen will struggle to get a spot in the team now?
Seems that way. The good thing is that George got an extended run at it and showed some good form, but he doesn't seem to be in our first choice midfield.

Yeah I agree here.

I think the addition of Selwood has created a really balanced dynamic in our midfield.

Scott Selwood - The slow, hard working mid. Tags when required, tackles like mad.
Joel Selwood - Free to leave the contest with ball in hand as often as he's found at the bottom of the pack.
Dangerfield - Playing with a newfound freedom. Finding balls that aren't there to be found. Kicking goals on the run.
Duncan - Applying immense tackling pressure, really hurting sides with his outside work.
Menegola - Popping up in the right spots to take strong marks. Floating forward.
Blicavs - As above.

Then you've got the pinch hitters...

Guthrie - Spends time down back, can shut down a small/medium forward.
Lang - Applies tackling pressure up forward, provides a nice burst of pace for a running goal
Murdoch - Adds speed on the outside
Motlop - As above

The only player from that group I can really see Horlin-Smith replacing without significantly harming the 'balance' we've found is Menegola - and Sam is killing it right now.
Scoot ain't slow, he is at times sloppy disposal wise, but is an absolute terrier, chases and and chases, harrasses and harrasses... adds a completely different dynamic to our midfield for sure.

Scoot ain't slow, he is at times sloppy disposal wise, but is an absolute terrier, chases and and chases, harrasses and harrasses... adds a completely different dynamic to our midfield for sure.
Slow-er, I suppose.

More so implying that Scott Selwood is filling the only spot where we can afford to play a really 'slow' mid like GHS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back