Opinion Scooter Selwood: Our new barometer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't we swap Scooter for Vardy? Can't even remember now!

Nope scooter free agent (2015) played in finals last year. Vardy for late pick end of (2016)

It's a shame too because vardy is playing some nice footy. Just injury riddled at geelong and was not getting a game i always liked him though

To the point of sending him to the vfl, I don't disagree at all, based on things that other coaches of other teams have done with better players.

But I also trust that different methods work with different players. Geelong's style is not to drop players that they think have potential.

You're right, different clubs have different approaches in this regard. Not sure if they refuse to drop players because of potential, every listed player at this level has that, even if it is at varying levels.

I'd say it's more about confidence. They feel players may lose it if dropped, I don't agree. I've also heard Scott say that he has faith in players who have performed in the past. These are highly paid professionals, their best should be expected, not waited for week, after week, after week (Guthrie).

Menegola not starting in the side this year after a great 2016, and being dropped after playing 3 or so games, which were a lot better than many of the other's shows the downside of this mentality. Scott has a fringe he will rotate, that's all he'll ever rotate. Even if you perform, you may get dropped. Guthrie, Motlop and Blicavs seem untouchable no matter how poor they play, even in a series of games.

Yeah I agree here.

I think the addition of Selwood has created a really balanced dynamic in our midfield.

Scott Selwood - The slow, hard working mid. Tags when required, tackles like mad.
Joel Selwood - Free to leave the contest with ball in hand as often as he's found at the bottom of the pack.
Dangerfield - Playing with a newfound freedom. Finding balls that aren't there to be found. Kicking goals on the run.
Duncan - Applying immense tackling pressure, really hurting sides with his outside work.
Menegola - Popping up in the right spots to take strong marks. Floating forward.
Blicavs - As above.

Then you've got the pinch hitters...

Guthrie - Spends time down back, can shut down a small/medium forward.
Lang - Applies tackling pressure up forward, provides a nice burst of pace for a running goal
Murdoch - Adds speed on the outside
Motlop - As above

The only player from that group I can really see Horlin-Smith replacing without significantly harming the 'balance' we've found is Menegola - and Sam is killing it right now.
Imho ghs doesnt come close to menegola. The gola has endurance and more speed and kicks the ball with precision, takes a strong overhead mark and positions himself for link plays.
S.selwood, dangerwood, menegola and duncan as a combo is essential if we are to contend.
If we can get parfitt and mccarthy back this would add to our versatility.
Let them keep talking about adelaide and gws as flag contenders. I reckon we may just surprise this year and s.selwood could be a very important component. If we get past west coast, look out

Last edited:

Scooter has played 3 games for us and you can see the impact he's been having, incidentally:

7th at Adelaide
4th at Brisbane
7th at Carlton
6th at Collingwood
6th at Essendon
6th at Fremantle
5th at GWS
5th at Geelong
3rd at Gold Coast
4th at Hawthorn
6th at Melbourne
7th at North Melbourne
3rd at Port Adelaide
4th at Richmond
3rd at St Kilda
5th at Sydney
4th at West Coast
6th at Western

That's where he'd rank at each club for tackles. Not bad when he's giving most a 8-9 game headstart.

Scooter has played 3 games for us and you can see the impact he's been having, incidentally:

7th at Adelaide
4th at Brisbane
7th at Carlton
6th at Collingwood
6th at Essendon
6th at Fremantle
5th at GWS
5th at Geelong
3rd at Gold Coast
4th at Hawthorn
6th at Melbourne
7th at North Melbourne
3rd at Port Adelaide
4th at Richmond
3rd at St Kilda
5th at Sydney
4th at West Coast
6th at Western

That's where he'd rank at each club for tackles. Not bad when he's giving most a 8-9 game headstart.

That is a ridiculous stat....
I luv it!

GO Catters

7th at Adelaide
4th at Brisbane
7th at Carlton
6th at Collingwood
6th at Essendon
6th at Fremantle
5th at GWS
5th at Geelong
3rd at Gold Coast
4th at Hawthorn
6th at Melbourne
7th at North Melbourne
3rd at Port Adelaide
4th at Richmond
3rd at St Kilda
5th at Sydney
4th at West Coast
6th at Western

Great work Gero.

The instant he played, you can tell he's injury free. And what he does, protects space, for both Joel and Danger to get the ball, whether it's loose or spilling from a tackle he's made at the contest.

It's bloody fantastic to see him back to near his best. We are so lucky we've had a group of quality young players want to come to us. Totally differing from our trade results getting us in premiership contention in 2007 (excluding Ottens of course)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back