Score Graphics

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ch7's different onscreen scoreboard graphics?

I meant point and behind being used interchangeably.

Did you seriously think I would call a goal a point?

No, just that it's a strange choice of words. I'm not sure that saying "he kicks a point" could be interpreted as anything other than kicking a behind. I guess in the interest of foreign viewers it might help, but Total is a violent break from tradition and something different, and therefore must be crushed mercilessly.

I hate this new Fox thing of putting the score on the ground. There was this absurd bit during the WB/WC game I think, where they'd put the contested possession count in the centre square. Only the cameraman was zoomed in on the stoppage, and actually had to zoom out from that to allow us to see the full graphic. Absolutely absurd.

Does Channel 7 even show the full scoreboard (of any kind) after coming back from an ad break following a goal?

No, just that it's a strange choice of words. I'm not sure that saying "he kicks a point" could be interpreted as anything other than kicking a behind. I guess in the interest of foreign viewers it might help, but Total is a violent break from tradition and something different, and therefore must be crushed mercilessly.

You just confirmed my argument. I was advocating for 'total' instead of 'points'

I was responding in my first post to a guy that said he prefers 'goals/behinds/points' to sum up the score rather than 'goals/behinds/total'. I stated that if you use the former system, there is the ambiguity of behinds and points.

I think the confusion arose in my example. I wanted to demonstrate that 'point' is very commonly used when a player kicks a behind.

Sorry for any confusion.

Someone at Fox has been watching the NFL

I like it, though this weekend I was a bit distracted by it and forgot to watch the ruck contest :p

Well David Hill (who created a lot of the on-ground graphics in the NFL) is at Fox Sports now. The dude is a sport telecast genius, which we can see with the graphics used for Fox Footy.

I think the confusion arose in my example. I wanted to demonstrate that 'point' is very commonly used when a player kicks a behind.

Ah, gotcha. No, I completely read that wrong. :eek:

Anyone else notice how fox show the scoreboard just before a bounce on Sat Night?

scoresl.jpg

No, actually. I didn't.

Used to love it as a kid and your team got up the mascot would bounce into the screen when the siren went on Seven in the late '80s.

[youtube]Z2xyTK3QQjI[/youtube]

RichoWAPT made this video showing them all minus Footscray and Sydney.

Hawthorn is the best one (saw it enough back then), as the Hawk looks cool and it incorporates it's theme song.

Geelong's just shows it's clacker to the viewer, Richmond's looks like a pointer dog, whilst North Melbourne's looks like a kangaroo with down syndrome.

West Coast's is cool, obviously like Collingwood's, while Essendon's has the added impact of flashing the entire screen black and red!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decided to do my own screen capture package, focusing on the graphics that come up when a player's details come up. 1985-1999 were done (I couldn't find a 2000 DVD

glendinning.jpg

pekin.jpg

1986 - looks pretty much the same font and what not, just a different detail

tuck.jpg

1987 - ABC I'm assuming...it's the only game I've seen this combination involved.

taylor.jpg

1988 - Back to Ch7, and the 1988 7 Sport logo.

neagle.jpg

1989 - New 7 Sport logo

loewe.jpg

1990 - Addition of a logo

ayres.jpg

1991 - Cartoon style logo now added, nice little mention to Ayresy.

atkins.jpg

1992 - No club logo, darker name colour

alessio.jpg

1993 - Colour 7 Sport logo, dark panel across screen

archer.jpg

1994 - Revolutionary colour coordination happening, old logo, and 7 sport logo incorporated into the colour scheme.

lockett.jpg

1995 - New again

williams.jpg

1996 - Going with the orangey/yellow colour scheme for every club

heatley.jpg

1997 - Different again

cummings.jpg

1998 - The venetian blinds look

riccardi.jpg

1999 - The ability to combine kicks, marks, handballs and goals into the one screen for the first time

Also spotted up some more background graphics, this time from 1990.

1990lineup.jpg

They went through the team line ups frame by frame.

1990groundreport.jpg

What more do you need conditions wise?

qtrbyqtr1990.jpg

Basic score update

1990stats.jpg

Basic stats update

Note - the sketchy background behind, which is Dale Weightman, Dwayne Lamb (I think) and Neville Bruns. These would change depending on the teams playing, and from memory the Saturday night replay, would have random players throughout.

But 1994 changed everything, with the brilliant addition of....

pubshot1q.jpg

THE PUBLICITY SHOT!

94pubshot.jpg

It was also the first year that betting odds were put on the screen I believe (I couldn't find one scanning the dvd collection), but note how the weather details were basically downgraded...

94weather.jpg

1998 spining graphics along with less slick 98-99 as shown on saturday and sunday afternoons were the best for channel 7 1999 graphics used for friday night were really weird

A modern day incarnation of one of those old ground conditions graphics would be a good addition.

I'm not really a fan of the new Fox superimposed score graphics find it a bit distracting from the game, would rather a box in the corner but its no big deal.

How about what direction the wind is actually blowing? :p

Goal advantage = nil. No point.

Games there was wind, there was a big arrow going across the ground in the middle of the screen in the direction it was going.

The Fox score graphic on the ground is good. However it seems they do not have the technology to remove it, it remains in view until a different camera is used. That makes it bad.

And my main wish for all score graphics is that they are as close as possible to a corner.

And I wish we had player score stats similar to what we see in NRL.

eg. Buddy takes a mark and is lining up for goal
Code:
[U][B]LANCE FRANKLIN  Today  2012   Career[/B][/U]
Goals             3.2  10.9  461.330

[youtube]Z2xyTK3QQjI[/youtube]

RichoWAPT made this video showing them all minus Footscray and Sydney.

Hawthorn is the best one (saw it enough back then), as the Hawk looks cool and it incorporates it's theme song.

Geelong's just shows it's clacker to the viewer, Richmond's looks like a pointer dog, whilst North Melbourne's looks like a kangaroo with down syndrome.

West Coast's is cool, obviously like Collingwood's, while Essendon's has the added impact of flashing the entire screen black and red!

Thanks for posting that.

Shame the one I really wanted to see wasn't there!

I remember the Hawks one now, clearly that's where most of their time was invested - makes sense, as you say, given it would have been used a fair bit!

Anybody know the deal with this? I noticed it today on a game from 1996 round 2:

1996Seven2.jpg

but this is what i was under the impression was the 1996 graphics:

1996Seven.jpg

Anybody know? Did they start out with the first one and change at some point?

Is the second pic of the Grand Final? Maybe they changed it for the one-off event.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back