Club Legend
Jul 31, 2003
Truth and Consequences
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Bushrangers
Whats your preference?

I love my scotch whiskey. Glenfiddich Solera Reserve is very smooth and Canadian Club Classic is fantastic also.

Ballantynes is another which i dont mind.

Bourbon is too sweet for my taste and have never enjoyed it.

I love them both. I know some people who can only drink one but that aint me, I'll even 'Rum it Up' if i have to.

Anyway usually i will buy bourbon and i like to go for Wild Turkey, i just picked up a bottle for $40 an hour ago.

If im drinking with my good mate who only likes scotch then ill go Johnny Walker Black which is pretty smooth.

Both are top drops though. :thumbsu:

Its funny I was a huge Jim Beam man till about 30 then beer wine and Ports took over my life.

Dabbled in Scotch with the premix cans and decided it didnt taste too bad, then the heartburn set in with the premixes so put them aside for the bottles.

Johnny Walker (Red) is fine but the drop that is smoother than liquid gold is the Ballantynes.mmmm yet the girl in the shop says Grants( even though its cheaper)

While I still have the occasional JB the only way to answer this is to point out if I walked into a pub and someone asked me scotch or Beam I would ask for a scotch

I'm a Johnny Walker Red man myself.
Used to put tonnes of beer away until my mid-to-late 20's, once I got into my 30's I got sick of beer and like the smooth taste of Scotch.
Used to drink bourbon - nothing wrong with it - was very partial to Woodstock for a longtime there, but it used to play up with my stomach after awhile, so I gave it the flick, regrettably.

Had several cans of Jim Beam down the pub last Saturday night, not fond of that stuff unless it's in a nice cold iced glass.
Tasted like coke that'd sat in a hot car on a summers day :(

I've been in the liquor game all my life from retail to bar work and I could never get into neither.

In fact the only whisky I have been able to enjoy over the years is Rye.

Some examples include Wild Turkey Rye as well as most Canadian Whiskys i.e. CC, Seagrams VO, Canadian Club Classic, Crown Royale.

Plenty of ice and a touch of dry if you are so inclined.

Quality

scotch and irish whiskey is without a doubt the way to go. glenfiddich and jamieson's are a fantastic drop.

both are very similar - the only difference really being the country of which they were made and distilled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Star said:
Sorry to be the class nerd but CC is Canadian Whisky not Scotch

Scotch = Scottish Whisky
Bourbon = American Whiskey

Then there is Indian, Japanese, Australian, Irish etc etc

Your right there Star, my knowledge of spirits,port and wine has sky rocketted since ive been working at a bottlo for a bit of cash while im at uni.

Blended Scotch is easily the most popular with Johnny Walker,Chivas Regal,Ballantynes,Famous Grouse and Grants.

FIGJAM said:
Scotch if you're savouring the flavour, bourbon with post mix .....

I think ordering a scotch with post mix and morris dancing are the only crimes still attracting capital punishment as a mandatory sentence in Scotland.

Smokin_Joe said:
Whats your preference?

I love my scotch whiskey. Glenfiddich Solera Reserve is very smooth and Canadian Club Classic is fantastic also.

Ballantynes is another which i dont mind.

Bourbon is too sweet for my taste and have never enjoyed it.

If I'm drinking straight or with a splash of soda, then Scotch like a Lagavulin or Glenfiddich is beautiful. If on the other hand, I am going to consume a fair bit of it, then Wild Turkey Rare Breed with Dry is my go. I( find Jim Beam is a little too sweet, but the Turkey is just right with Schweppes Dry. Amazing the taste difference between the brands of Dry, I can't stand Kirks or any of the cheapies, but Schweppes has a very distinct flavour that enhances the bourbon experience!!

Jim Boy said:
I think ordering a scotch with post mix and morris dancing are the only crimes still attracting capital punishment as a mandatory sentence in Scotland.
Those of us who don't attract the capital punishment that way, will attract it in another.

Some rough Sundays in the small office!

Jim Boy said:
Don't touch Bourbon, love the scoth tho, especially Islay styles. Laphroaig being a particular favourite.

Laphroaig is also a personal favourite. So smokey.

Although I can not bag people for their personal tastes, scotch whisky is a man's drink. Great Scotch such as Laphroaig, Glenmorangie (sp) Lavagulin (sp) Bowmore etc you have to have Neat or on ice and would never dream of mixing them. A quetion for bourbon drinkers, do you drink it neat/ on rocks or always with mixers?

Papa G said:

Although I can not bag people for their personal tastes, scotch whisky is a man's drink. Great Scotch such as Laphroaig, Glenmorangie (sp) Lavagulin (sp) Bowmore etc you have to have Neat or on ice and would never dream of mixing them. A quetion for bourbon drinkers, do you drink it neat/ on rocks or always with mixers?

You drink well. I agree with you too.

afc9798 said:
I( find Jim Beam is a little too sweet, but the Turkey is just right with Schweppes Dry. Amazing the taste difference between the brands of Dry, I can't stand Kirks or any of the cheapies, but Schweppes has a very distinct flavour that enhances the bourbon experience!!

That would be Schweppervescence :p ;)

Have an obsession with Bourbon.

Have built up over the years from Old Crow, Woodstock to Cougar, Jim Beam to Wild Turkey & Makers Mark.

Cant drink any premix but Wild Turkey now, makes me sick and they dont get me loaded like Turkey.

Want to start working into decent scotch, have a few bottles of Glenfiddich variatals ive obtained from work that are screaming out to be experianced.

Papa G said:

great selection there...have u tried Dimple?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back