News Scott Clayton signs with Gold Coast!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm biased, but I regard Stephen Wells as the best recruiter in the country. Good news for Geelong is that we re-signed him for, I think, 4 years just a month or so back.

Geelong have never had high draft picks and he has always managed to recruit gun players.

Getting Mathew Stokes in the 60s was a steal. Ling, Chapman, Enright were all in the 30s/40s from memory too. He has a real eye for talent.

That said, very good get for the Gold Coast. Bulldogs would be spewing.

Clayton takes on role at GC17

Western Bulldogs Recruiting Manager, Scott Clayton has accepted the role of Recruiting Manager for the franchise GC17.
The Club would like to acknowledge the service Scott has given the Bulldogs over the past nine years.
In the first draft Scott Clayton attended as the Bulldogs recruiting manager in 1999, he acquired several players who now make up the core of the Bulldogs team – Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn, Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee.
Western Bulldogs General Manager of Football, James Fantasia said while it was disappointing to lose Clayton, the opportunity for him was too good to pass up.
“Scott has been a valuable staff member at the Bulldogs and we would like to thank him for his dedication and passion for the Club over the past nine years. He will continue to see out the year with us overseeing our 2008 Draft selections, starting with GC17 in 2009,” he said.
“We will now use Scott’s departure to evolve our recruiting process and structure. This will see the commencement of a new chapter in our recruiting strategy for the Club, said Fantasia.
Scott Clayton said the decision to move on to GC17 was not taken lightly.
“A role like this is extremely rare in football so it will be exciting for me. I have been extremely fortunate to work at the Western Bulldogs for a long period of time where I have seen the club go from strength to strength with an exciting and innovative brand of football and a real team environment,” he said.
“I know that the team we have set up will have a very successful five year period and no one wants to see them succeed more than me. I would like to personally thank Cam (Rose), David (Smorgon), Rodney (Eade) and his coaching team for their support over the past few years.”
“This Club has evolved phenomenally in the past five years due to the strength of leadership, competency and management and I would like to believe that I’ve contributed something to that, particularly in the recent off and on-field success our Club has been experiencing,” said Clayton.
Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the Club wished Scott well in his future appointment.
“Scott will have the chance to create a team from scratch which is something that any recruitment manager would love to have the opportunity to do. We are fortunate that we have a football manager such as James Fantasia who has a credentialed recruiting background and comes from a Club with a strong recruiting record,” Rose said.
“He has extensive experience in football recruiting. This is a great asset. James will now use his insight to take our recruiting football operations and performance to a new level.”
“We wish Scott the very best. We are confident that he will do a fine job as he has done in previous years in overseeing the ’08 draft selections. I would personally and professionally like to thank Scott for his support during my six years of tenure at the Bulldogs,” Rose said.
http://westernbulldogs.com.au/tabid/4112/default.aspx?newsid=65782

• THE AFL's new Gold Coast team has signed Scott Clayton as its head of recruiting
Clayton, the man who build the Western Bulldogs' current list and played a key role in the Brisbane Lions' three premierships earlier this decade, will head north after this year's national draft.

After missing out on Michael Voss as coach and Brian Cook as CEO, this is seen as a major coup for the as-yet-unnamed Gold Coast franchise.

Currently the recruiting manager at the Western Bulldogs, Clayton is believed to have been lured with a long-term deal.

In the first draft Clayton attended as the Bulldogs' recruiting manager in 1999, he acquired several players who now make up th e core of the Bulldogs team – Robert Murphy, Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Hahn, Ryan Hargrave and Lindsay Gilbee.

Clayton said he could not pass up the opportunity to build a team from scratch.

“A role like this is extremely rare in football so it will be exciting for me. I have been extremely fortunate to work at the Western Bulldogs for a long period of time where I have seen the club go from strength to strength with an exciting and innovative brand of football and a real team environment,” he said

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24199638-19742,00.html

Who is Scott Clayton?

Scott Clayton (born 13 November 1959) played for Fitzroy in the VFL during the 1980s.

A tagger from Hobart, Clayton started his career with Fitzroy in 1981 and often played on key opposition players. He won Fitzroy's best and fairest award in 1990, his last season in the VFL.

I am assured by those in the know at the Bulldogs that he is one of the best in the business, and is a massive pick up for the Gold Coast Football Club.

I don't know if he was out of contract but Gold Coast should've threw everything at Gubby Allen at the lions. The guy is a master at picking up talent late in the draft with his most recent prospect Dalziell coming on in leaps and bounds in such a short period of time. Plus he knows his talls really well.

Will make some excellent recruiting decisions for the Coasters, is a massive bonus for the club.

I don't know if he was out of contract but Gold Coast should've threw everything at Gubby Allen at the lions. The guy is a master at picking up talent late in the draft with his most recent prospect Dalziell coming on in leaps and bounds in such a short period of time. Plus he knows his talls really well.

I hear he looks up to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair to say some Suns supporters are questioning Clayton's drafting decisions from last night. Just remember, this is the guy that put together the Lions list that won three premierships in a row and a Bulldogs list that reached three prelims in a row.

Fair to say some Suns supporters are questioning Clayton's drafting decisions from last night. Just remember, this is the guy that put together the Lions list that won three premierships in a row and a Bulldogs list that reached three prelims in a row.
If he recruited in the mould of the Lions, I don't think anyone would be complaining.
The Dogs were competitive despite their list, not because of it.

As a KP player? Back then we didn't have as many Bontempelli 193cm midfielder types
Tom Lynch? Rory Thompson? Charlie Dixon? Steve May?

Dogs have tried to poach some of our KP. So Clayton must be doing something right.

Dogs have tried to poach some of our KP. So Clayton must be doing something right.

Was tounge in cheek reference to the fact Clayton has a preference for picking Jarrard Grant types.

Was tounge in cheek reference to the fact Clayton has a preference for picking Jarrard Grant types.
Fair. Sorry. 90% of the comments I read on BF are pot shots at Clayton for taking skinny outside types. Never mind the stack of inside players we have that traded in and drafted!

He had to pick 50 players to start a team from scratch, you would think he would be obliged to pick a few blokes over 190cm. A lot of them were gifted as priority picks.

Clayton can be summed up in 1 decision - Jack Martin over Jesse Hogan. No offence as Martin will be great but Lynch and Hogan would have been unstoppable.

He had to pick 50 players to start a team from scratch, you would think he would be obliged to pick a few blokes over 190cm. A lot of them were gifted as priority picks.

Clayton can be summed up in 1 decision - Jack Martin over Jesse Hogan. No offence as Martin will be great but Lynch and Hogan would have been unstoppable.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.. at the time we had Dixon and Day ready to break out.. Martin was supposed to be a mix between Rioli and and Nat Fyfe... hard to judge him on that particular call.. although if u had your time again knowing what you know now..
But on another matter.. why dont we have BF poster of the year on our board? Because even though I dont agree with you here.. you, OB11 would be my pick... always insightful and pretty entertaining to match... no homo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back