Club History Scott Hodges - It's Not All Black & White

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah physical if possible mate
Ring the publishers Penguin Random House and they should be able to tell you which bookshop near you will stock them. The official launch is Tuesday 15th at Alberton so not sure if bookshops stock it before then. A couple of people on here have ordered it online and have received it and read it already.

Bought one last night, bookstore near Target at TTP - $34.95

I enjoyed the 1979 Grand Final. South made their first, and to date only, Grand Final since WWII and got smashed by Ports in atrocious conditions. Not a single goal scored into the wind.

$%&^ campaigners with umbrellas.

Russell in light blue congratulating Jack at the end there. Did he come back from Melb to be a runner for the GF?

Russell in light blue congratulating Jack at the end there. Did he come back from Melb to be a runner for the GF?

Nah he just sat on the bench. He is wearing a shirt underneath the blue top.

The runners back then wore the old Adidas brown on brown t-shirt as I recall.

Nah he just sat on the bench. He is wearing a shirt underneath the blue top.

The runners back then wore the old Adidas brown on brown t-shirt as I recall.

Dat slick brown on brown #1979

I enjoyed the 1979 Grand Final. South made their first, and to date only, Grand Final since WWII and got smashed by Ports in atrocious conditions. Not a single goal scored into the wind.

$%&^ campaigners with umbrellas.

After watching this footage I wonder what happened to football...we had the perfect game plan why don't we still use it....you get the ball to half way with violence then kick a torpedo 70 metres to the goal square where Tim Evans has been waiting and totally fresh...he takes a mark and pops it through...bring it back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have just bought the book for my son but i believe it might teach me more than him.

I hate that this game can swing between rescuing kids to, actually killing kids who suffer depression or killing their lives in that they believe they are going to be somebody.

Anybody else hear David Penberthy mention this thread on FiveAA this morning? I came to check it out and was shocked but enthralled with how beautifully it has been received on here.

Fantastic to hear that this tragic story is providing some hope and encouragement within the community- and a bigfooty thread of all places.

One of the best threads I have ever read on this site.

Anybody else hear David Penberthy mention this thread on FiveAA this morning? I came to check it out and was shocked but enthralled with how beautifully it has been received on here.

Fantastic to hear that this tragic story is providing some hope and encouragement within the community- and a bigfooty thread of all places.

One of the best threads I have ever read on this site.
What did Pembo say about the thread? We reckon he made up an account and posted a link in here.

I thought I had put my review of Scott's 1990 season as part of my season review in here, but apparently not.

The name is Hodges, Scott Hodges

In terms of individual achievement, the previously mentioned intensity of 11 was most fitting, as the Magpie champion in the number 11 guernsey, Scott Hodges, seemed to take the whole AFL campaign as a personal mission to get Port Adelaide over the line. The battleship Port Adelaide was nuclear-armed and Scott Hodges was its warhead. After kicking 10 goals against South Adelaide in round 9, Hodges stood unchallenged at the top of the 1990 list of leading goalkickers, a spot he had last occupied after opening the season with 10 goals against Centrals. A bruised knee suffered in that game took some off the edge of Hodges’ awesome firepower for a short while but Scott played through injury, which became a trademark of his long and celebrated career at Port Adelaide.

In the month of August immediately following the announcement of Port’s AFL bid, the nuclear warhead was launched. Using his powerful hands and outstanding athleticism to mix astute leading and imposing contesting marking with fierce ground level pressure and skills allied to a laser-guided thumping set shot kick, Hodges in consecutive weeks kicked 14 goals against West, 10 goals against Woodville, 11 goals against South and 11 goals against Sturt. That brought up an extraordinary total of 46 goals in 4 weeks of football. Hodges was the first player to kick 10 goals or more in three consecutive games, then to prove it was no fluke made it four consecutive games. Hodges kicked his hundredth goal of the season against South Adelaide and finished the 20 game minor round on top of the goal kicking ladder with 127 goals. Hodges had kicked 6 bags of 10 goals or more, the first player to achieve that feat in a single season. More explosive goal kicking heroics were to come in the finals.

Full forwards don’t win Magarey Medals. Only Fred Phillis had accomplished that deed when he set the then SANFL individual season goal kicking record of 137 goals in 1969. Tim Evans had broken that record in 1980 with 146 goals and Rick Davies bettered Evans’s record in 1983 with 151 goals. Neither had come close to winning the SANFL’s ultimate individual accolade. On 10 September 1990, Scott Hodges caring not for history had other ideas as he demonstrated he had caught the umpires’ eyes time and again with his spectacular goal kicking deeds. Hodges polled 16 votes (3 first preferences, 3 second preferences and 1 third preference) to edge out, among others, team mate Simon Tregenza by 1 vote and take home the Magarey Medal to add to his Ken Farmer Medal. Scott was not yet finished collecting medals in 1990 at that stage. He would go on to win the AR McLean Medal as Port Adelaide’s Best and Fairest in 1990 and of course collect the ultimate team accolade, a Premiership medallion.

As John Cahill noted on the night, a thought had to be spared for Simon Tregenza who had finished runner up in a Magarey Medal for the second consecutive year. Scott Hodges, the consummate team man as always, stated he had hoped ‘Trigger’ would poll one more vote so they could each take a Magarey back to Alberton. Simon would also finish runner up to Hodges in the Port Adelaide Best and Fairest count. As well as the Magarey Medal, Port brought home the Under-17 Best and Fairest McCallum Medal, won by brilliant youngster Troy Bond. Port Adelaide’s Barry Miller polled the most votes in the Under-19s Tomkins Medal but was ineligible. With the AFL imbroglio still a constant reminder of the turbulent football scene, Bruce Weber exclaimed “We came, we collected the hardware, now we’re going home” much to the chagrin of the rest of the SA football clubs.

What did Pembo say about the thread? We reckon he made up an account and posted a link in here.
Basically, said that he google searched "David Penberthy Scott Hodges" and came across this thread, and was enlightened at how people are beginning to share their own stories more and more regarding mental health and the importance of talking about it. It was during a discussion about Hodges' meeting with Julia Gillard yesterday.

Bought the book on Saturday, read it all straight away in one stretch.
It was hard to put down - a compelling story, written in a very frank and up-front sort of way. Lots of spelling errors/extra little words duplicated or put in out place, but an enjoyable read.

He remains and always will, my favourite all time footballer. His 1990 season is the most remarkable I have seen of any footballer at any level.
Sad at how things unravelled especially in the tail end of his career, but his ability to hit back with big years in 1994 and 1996 is a testament to his brilliance, work ethic and character. I was really impressed by the intensity and passion with which he evidently coached Seaton and Henley after retiring. It sounds like he has a very loving wife and family. Genuinely sounds like a good, decent and thoughtful bloke and one who was clearly misunderstood by many throughout his playing days.

My unrivalled football hero.

Bought the book on Saturday, read it all straight away in one stretch.
It was hard to put down - a compelling story, written in a very frank and up-front sort of way. Lots of spelling errors/extra little words duplicated or put in out place, but an enjoyable read.

He remains and always will, my favourite all time footballer. His 1990 season is the most remarkable I have seen of any footballer at any level.
Sad at how things unravelled especially in the tail end of his career, but his ability to hit back with big years in 1994 and 1996 is a testament to his brilliance, work ethic and character. I was really impressed by the intensity and passion with which he evidently coached Seaton and Henley after retiring. It sounds like he has a very loving wife and family. Genuinely sounds like a good, decent and thoughtful bloke and one who was clearly misunderstood by many throughout his playing days.

My unrivalled football hero.

I was fascinated that he was on Matthew Knights' staff at PAMFC during his ill-fated time there - and that he was actually onboard with the changes MK was trying to make and felt he was treated unfairly.

I blame the Flinders'n'booze bubble I was in at the time for not knowing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back