Club History Scott Hodges - It's Not All Black & White

Remove this Banner Ad

I played football at Salisbury West and Scott Hodges played football at Salisbury West.

Our names share a perpetual trophy at that club too.

I see him everyday.

I love him.
Without doubt one of the greatest players the game has seen. The word champion gets bandied about undeservedly at times, but in Scottys case it is deserved. His ability to shine not only from week to week but also in big moments will stand in my memory for as long as I live and will cherish those moments from his debut to his final game in 1998.

Loved him tearing opposition defenders a new a-hole but I really don't want to read about mental isssues. Where all mental in our own way. I just wanna read footy ala fos Williams by rucci was good

Cannot wait to get my hands on this book.

Scotty was my absolute idol when i was growing up. I had number 11 on all my guernseys. I always had 11 when i played footy. Absolute unrivaled idol.

HAH just found a post from me from 2009.. and its still 100% relevant

Another vivid Scotty memory for me was trudging down to Elizabeth oval some time in the early 90s. It was a nice sunny day and i was decked out in the black and whites

The Centrals supporters full of voice became as quiet as a church mouse as Scotty Hodges put on a clinic and kicked 13 straight in 3 quarters before going off in the first minute of the last quarter with a sore knee (no wonder!)

Port went on to win that game by triple figures

Scott is still my all time favourite Port player. I idolised him as a child. Number 11 was always on my back and every time i played footy as a kid in the back yard i was always Hodges

1990 was his best... 153 goals (amazing). What was even funnier about that season was not only did we beat the gay bays in the GF, but John Fidge had a corker of a season as well and would have won the ken farmer every other year... except scotty kicked 20 more goals than he did!

A true legend and absolute superstar of the Port Adelaide Football Club

Yet another top sportsman with mental problems. The NRL is full of them and every now and then an AFL player is reported to have serious issues. Maybe mental stress is an offshoot of modern society or perhaps these issues have always been there but not publicised.

Hope Scott Hodges has exorcised his demons.

Scotty was a great player in the SANFL and is not a bad lad for a Collingwood supporter. ;)

The club needs to start releasing footage of Magpies games on a professional format. It's not good enough that Port fans who never saw these great teams only have grainy YouTube videos to go by.

The club needs to start releasing footage of Magpies games on a professional format. It's not good enough that Port fans who never saw these great teams only have grainy YouTube videos to go by.
I doubt the club owns very much, if any, SNAFL match footage.

Surely it can't be that hard to track down old Grand Final footage from years gone by?
Not hard to track down but it is a question of who owns the rights to it. I can't recall who it was but I remember someone discussing on here years ago that they had tried to get historical Ports' SNAFL footage but they had been stonewalled by the copyright holders.

Most, if not all, of what you see on youtube is probably in breach of copyright.

Not hard to track down but it is a question of who owns the rights to it. I can't recall who it was but I remember someone discussing on here years ago that they had tried to get historical Ports' SNAFL footage but they had been stonewalled by the copyright holders.

Most, if not all, of what you see on youtube is probably in breach of copyright.

Some people are allowed to sell the footage though:

https://premier.sportsubs.com.au/sa...?productcategoryid=4&productsubcategoryid=166

Best 'Spehr' tackle ever.

Kick through the fckn ball, even from 15 metres out.

Some of those highlights against Centrals. 55 out...no drama. 3 v 1 in the square...easy.

Sees Scotty in a Crows guernsey, vomits in mouth. So glad I lived Overseas in the early Crows days when he was there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The rights are probably all over the shop with all the networks who broadcast the SANFL back in the day - 7, 9, the ABC (did 10 ever show it?)

Can't imagine anyone would buy it. Be amazed if those SANFL tight-arses gave a s**t.

The old Video Entertainment Systems made a bunch of videos, too (think that was them on Waymouth St? Or was that SA Video Warehouse. Or as they one and the same?)

All the masters would be on tape so gawd knows what kind of condition they're in. If they haven't been destroyed or taped over.

And, yeah, it's fair to say the You Tube stuff is probably blatant copyright infringement, lol...

Last edited:
A few highlights from youtube

I've been told as Scotty was lining up for that shot he said to the ball "you're going through you c***.

Not sure how much truth there is to the story, however a lot of players in this modern era could take that attitude on board. Cough, Westhoff, cough.

Hodges would relish the opportunity to win a game off his own boot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I remember Hodges kicking 100 goals for the magpies one year while he was still listed as a crows player.not sure if that's my memory playing funny buggers but I seem to recall that happening..

Surely it can't be that hard to track down old Grand Final footage from years gone by?
I reckon that I've got a box of old VHS tapes somewhere with heaps of 1980s and 90s Port games. I lived in Darwin and used to get a friend down here to record games on tv and post them up to me.

I missed so much of great Hodges action. Saw very little of him live in the flesh and not much more on TV. One of the things I would change if I had access to a time machine.

The rights are probably all over the shop with all the networks who broadcast the SANFL back in the day - 7, 9, the ABC (did 10 ever show it?)

Can't imagine anyone would buy it. Be amazed if those SANFL tight-arses gave a s**t.

The old Video Entertainment Systems made a bunch of videos, too (think that was them on Waymouth St? Or was that SA Video Warehouse. Or as they one and the same?)

All the masters would be on tape so gawd knows what kind of condition they're in. If they haven't been destroyed or taped over.

And, yeah, it's fair to say the You Tube stuff is probably blatant copyright infringement, lol...
Yep I have a Norwood mate who has tried to produce stuff both Norwood specific and SANFL general and the rights are a legal night mare to work out who has what. I gave him a bit of advise about the legal position and stressed to him he had to sort out who owns what rights before he can make any progress. The SANFL didn't have an overarching rights like the AFL or IOC do until sometime in the 1990's. He said the SANFL are difficult to deal with and want royalty payments even though they legally dont have ownership rights for all the vision just some.

Apparently some guy bought a s**t load of original footage from 9 and/or 7 or maybe it was he bought out SA Video Warehouse and is very very difficult to deal with according to my mate. I had a discussion with him about all this 5 years or so ago but have forgotten the specifics. Next time I see him I will get him to tell me the full picture again.

I remember Hodges kicking 100 goals for the magpies one year while he was still listed as a crows player.not sure if that's my memory playing funny buggers but I seem to recall that happening..
1994 I reckon. Got the ton at Alberton vs Glenelg - I remember watching it from the grandstand, where we rarely ever sat.

Edit: 1996 was at Footy Park vs Centrals, 1990 was at Alberton vs South. Lucky to be at all of them!

Another edit: He was only listed at the Crows 1991-1993 and 1996...so must have been 96! I always believed he was only drafted a second time so the Crows could use him a trade for younger talent when Port came in.

Last edited:
Awesome!

I reckon he was every young kids idol in the very late 80's.

1990 sssppppeeeccciiiaaallllll

1994 I reckon. Got the ton at Alberton vs Glenelg - I remember watching it from the grandstand, where we rarely ever sat.

Edit: 1996 was at Footy Park vs Centrals, 1990 was at Alberton vs South. Lucky to be at all of them!

Another edit: He was only listed at the Crows 1991-1993 and 1996...so must have been 96! I always believed he was only drafted a second time so the Crows could use him a trade for younger talent when Port came in.

Scott netted them Aaron Keating and Tim Cook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back