List Mgmt. Scott Lycett - is he good enough to be a #1 ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahh Scotty.
I’ll admit he’s a player I rated really highly until Cal Sinclair broke into the side. Then, for me, it was all about Sinclair’s ability to contribute even when not in the ruck, be it up forward or around the ground. Lycett didn’t have that same game.

Through the worst of luck he missed all last season bar one game through the ruck curse we had, missing his opportunity to prove himself as a genuine #1 ruckman.

Today he had an opportunity against Rory Lobb coming back from injury. According to the stats he had 30 hitouts, 2 less than Lobb, four more than makeshift ruckman Keeffe. For the record, McInnes had 6.

Honestly? From what I saw I thought Lycett had a better game than that. He competes well. He’s a better tap ruckman than Sinclair I think, so he has that, and he’s lifted in the mobility. Been arguably BOG twice this season.

So my question.
Is he good enough to be a #1 ruckman at another club? Is he likely to be targeted by another club given he’ll always be second fiddle to the one and only Nic Naitanui. When Nathan Vardy comes good where does that leave Lycett?

Tough questions guys.
Tell me what you think. I have an opinion but I’m still catching up having missed most of this season being away.

Someone will throw some money at him and we might let him go if it means keeping Gaff and McGovern.

Lobb spent 85% tim on the ground while Scott spent 77%. Lobb would have just smashed Fmac.

Nah, to be honest he is overrated. Being made to look good mostly by the great work of others. Any other team would be foolish to throw significant money at him. Same with Gov.

Nah, to be honest he is overrated. Being made to look good mostly by the great work of others. Any other team would be foolish to throw significant money at him. Same with Gov.

Dont forget Gaff.

Dont forget Gaff.
A master of racking up cheap, meaningless possessions. He is so crap that opponents don't even bother paying him any attention, so he is left free to feed off the good work of the grunt guys. (who are also mediocre, really. They only get it in the first place due to the dominance of our supreme ruck tandem of Nic Nat and ... uhhh nevermind)

It's great to have two big guys who both have a mean streak.

Not very WC at all.

I think he probably could be the number 1 ruckman in a number of teams. Probably the only thing that frustrates me occasionally is that while he appears to have quite a good leap, at center bounces primarily he often seems to jump (high) too early and is virtually back on the ground when he is trying to tap the ball. It isn't every time, but if he could get his timing right he might have a greater effect at center bounces a lot more often.

Anyone rekon he was less aggro this week? Hopefully its nothing to do with the NN incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he probably could be the number 1 ruckman in a number of teams. Probably the only thing that frustrates me occasionally is that while he appears to have quite a good leap, at center bounces primarily he often seems to jump (high) too early and is virtually back on the ground when he is trying to tap the ball. It isn't every time, but if he could get his timing right he might have a greater effect at center bounces a lot more often.
Yeah he definitely could be. He might however see that partnering with Nic allows him to extend his career and if anything reap just as many benefits. They're a perfect combo.

Sometimes this is a sneaky way of getting body on the oppo ruckman without giving away an obvious free; jump forward and occupy his space whilst being set for the tap.

He could be, but considering he’s never really managed to stay on the park for an extended period of time, it’s not entirely clear if he can hold down a #1 ruck spot in today’s game.

Still remember the game in 2015 where NN's mother dies and Sinkers was injured; he came in and fought alone battled and held his own against Ceglar and Mcevoy. He ended up having 20 touches, 7 clearances, 39 hitouts and 17 contested possessions that night. He also go injured in the last and we later found out he was fighting osteitis pubis.

Still remember the game in 2015 where NN's mother dies and Sinkers was injured; he came in and fought alone battled and held his own against Ceglar and Mcevoy. He ended up having 20 touches, 7 clearances, 39 hitouts and 17 contested possessions that night. He also go injured in the last and we later found out he was fighting osteitis pubis.

That’s right, he killed it that game.

A master of racking up cheap, meaningless possessions. He is so crap that opponents don't even bother paying him any attention, so he is left free to feed off the good work of the grunt guys. (who are also mediocre, really. They only get it in the first place due to the dominance of our supreme ruck tandem of Nic Nat and ... uhhh nevermind)

Also, I heard he got a handjob from a girl in a tent. A total liability for any club.

Think Slyce knows that his best footy is with us, and later in the year we'll see a long-term deal tying him west for the remainder of his career. Sure he could be number one elsewhere, but I dunno if that's where his best footy is.

Watch the team song vid this week and tell me if there's a more passionate bloke singing along.

Think Slyce knows that his best footy is with us, and later in the year we'll see a long-term deal tying him west for the remainder of his career. Sure he could be number one elsewhere, but I dunno if that's where his best footy is.

Watch the team song vid this week and tell me if there's a more passionate bloke singing along.
Will form part of one of the best ruck duets of all time.
There has never been a pair of Rucks in one team who have the strength, the agility and the contested game that these guys have.
Would love to see them clock up a great partnership over the next four years.
Both coming into the prime years of Ruckmen.
AFL Watch out. (Especially the little guys)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back