List Mgmt. Scott Lycett - is he good enough to be a #1 ruckman?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. He'd be the number 1 ruck at most clubs.
He had to be ours now. Even when nicnat comes back is play NN as number 2 for precautionary reasons, have Lycett shouldering most of the ruck duties.

Option 1 - standard set-up with Vardy second ruck

FB: Cole Schofield/Barrass Sheppard
HB: Hurn McGovern Duggan
C: Masten Redden Gaff
HF: Rioli Darling Waterman
FF: Cripps Kennedy LeCras

R: Lycett Yeo Shuey

I: Jetta Hutchings Venables Vardy

Option 2 - a bit faster/smaller with Gov as second ruck and both Barrass and Schofield in the team

FB: Cole Barrass Sheppard

I: Schofield Jetta Hutchings Venables

Option 3 - an extra midfielder, Gov and maybe others to pinch-hit as back-up ruck

FB: Cole Schofield/Barrass Sheppard

I: Jetta Hutchings Sheed Venables

Lycett is a gun, he can absolutely handle number 1 ruck duties. Heard Steve Butler on the radio this morning insinuating Eagles could be cooked without Nic Nat and the wheels will fall off. How offensive to Lycett, seriously. The guy would be a walk-in at any club for the number 1 ruck spot (bar melbourne or collingwood). Not only does he challenge and in most cases win the ruck battle, he goes forward and kicks the bloody tablet through the big sticks. Carn the coasters.

any regrets trading sinclair for jetta (now our best 22)?
lycett (and vardy) will be fine and we'll manage without NN.

This is the tops 8 ruckman:

1. Tigers - Nankervis is there main ruckman and is similar style ruckman to Lycett.
2. WC
3. Pies - Grundy and Cox. Held his own v Grundy who is the second best ruckman in the leaugue
4. Swans - They use Sinclair as there main ruckman. As a minimum should break even with him and is also a better tap ruckman.
5. Port - Ryder is injured at the moment and has suffered from other injuries so he isn't as dangerous as he used to be. WC nullified him well in the final last year. They also use Dixon and Westoff as backup. THis is where having Vardy as backup is handy because they both should be able to wear both down.
6. Melbourne - Max gawn is a beast and playing excellent football.Will be tough but i would just be putting pressure on their mids instead.
7. GWS - Rory Lobb and Dawson. Average options and back in Vardy and Lycett to beat them.
8. Geelong - Smith and Stanley. Again Both average options and again would back Vardy and Lycett.

Most of our issues last year wasn’t due to our make shift ruck set up. A midfield of Priddis and Mitch in their prime wouldn’t need a good ruckman to kill it. They were on their last legs and blokes like boots and gaff were cooked, as well as our over all fitness being poor.

Would love to go with one ruckman but Lycettnis injury prone and needs help imo. Think having him and Vardy would allow us to legit out work teams with one ruckman or one good ruckman.

Vardy and Lycett are both capable forwards as well and both compete well in the air and suit our forward structure.

The fact we were losing when Nic Nat got injured and still won by 35 points should tell us something. Whether we're still good enough to win a flag however?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully he starts listening to John Cena's entrance from on.

Also needs to Chanel that Brissy Ruckmen that went beast mode when finals came around. His name escapes me.

1. Tigers - Nankervis is there main ruckman and is similar style ruckman to Lycett.
2. WC
3. Pies - Grundy and Cox. Held his own v Grundy who is the second best ruckman in the leaugue
4. Swans - They use Sinclair as there main ruckman. As a minimum should break even with him and is also a better tap ruckman.
5. Port - Ryder is injured at the moment and has suffered from other injuries so he isn't as dangerous as he used to be. WC nullified him well in the final last year. They also use Dixon and Westoff as backup. THis is where having Vardy as backup is handy because they both should be able to wear both down.
6. Melbourne - Max gawn is a beast and playing excellent football.Will be tough but i would just be putting pressure on their mids instead.
7. GWS - Rory Lobb and Dawson. Average options and back in Vardy and Lycett to beat them.
8. Geelong - Smith and Stanley. Again Both average options and again would back Vardy and Lycett.
I agree that We can match or even have the edge in most games in the ruck department.
What we will miss most is the freak things that only Naitanui can do, the team lifting moments of sheer brilliance he brings to the game and the ability to make his teammates walk taller.

2. WC
Think the difference is that all those teams have fairly stacked midfields. Ours is starting to find its feet lately for sure but the challenge will be to keep it up. Nic just has the ability to get them all going again with some act of brilliance if they start to fall to pieces mid game, that’s what we’ll miss the most. His presence alone is worth more than his ruckwork, makes our players play without fear and the opposition hesitate when they have the ball, something you can’t really replicate.

If i were Scott, I would be telling my manager get it done. Dont push for extra, take whats on the table, and let West Coast repay me over the long term.

Him just signing a contract now would boost the team.

If i were Scott, I would be telling my manager get it done. Dont push for extra, take whats on the table, and let West Coast repay me over the long term.

Him just signing a contract now would boost the team.
Dont wanna be a dick but why would he undercut himself hundreds of thousands of dollars? He has to look after himself as well.

Just seeing things from his point of view.

Sure he'd come across as a dick to Eagles fans if he left for more $$ but he has a mortgage/bills to pay as well.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dont wanna be a dick but why would he undercut himself hundreds of thousands of dollars? He has to look after himself as well.
Could bet on himself and take a 1 year contract. Show the Eagles / AFL what he's worth as a #1 for a season, and cash in based on performance.

Side note: that would need the league to be at a mature stage of contract management and player movement. When we have mid season rumours of a guy coming off his first contract being offered $1.3mil per season, it shows the league is not at that level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back