Scott Lycett or Brodie Smith

These two are probably the pin up boys for Port's pick 16. If they both made it through to that pick, who would you take out of these two? (Yes I know you might want another player, but I'm just interested in the preference between Lycett and Smith).

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I will definitely go Smith.

I think our ruck stocks are not that bad. I rate Lobbe and think he will come on, I think Redden is likely to succeed too and Bass has improved remarkably. I also think that Lycett is more of a second ruck/forward and with Trengove/Stewart/Westhoff we already have a few servicable options there.

We need the gun midfielder more.

sorry guys....just stuffed up your poll!!

Pressed Lycett when I meant to press Smith. You wouldn't think it was that hard to get it right.

That is probably why I am still a bigfooty apprentice after 6 years

Nov 16, 2007
Glenelg
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies
I think most will pick Smith due to him being a midfielder, thats why I picked him. Lycett may well end up being the better player out of the two and all the best of luck to him. Maybe we could entice him back via the draft in a couple of years time???
Given that our needs are to improve our midfield along with the fact that picking up KPP's/Rucks in the first round are a bit hit and miss, the logical decision for me is to go for Smith

Portia

#DrewBlood
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog Port Adelaide - Jesse Palmer Player Sponsor 2017 Podcaster Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2001
Fragile bastion of liberalism
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Muckbuckle Dolmens
I have to say it first: Jack Darling. This will probably bite me on the arse.

I don't mind Smith but he looks like a Crows player. Hard to look past Lycett really, because if Lobbe is the superdud many seem to think, Lycett will be ready to go when he proves to be that dud.

Probably this will be a repeat of 2002 and all the SA boys will go in sequence right before our pick.

Wargreymon90

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to say it first: Jack Darling. This will probably bite me on the arse.

I don't mind Smith but he looks like a Crows player
. Hard to look past Lycett really, because if Lobbe is the superdud many seem to think, Lycett will be ready to go when he proves to be that dud.

Probably this will be a repeat of 2002 and all the SA boys will go in sequence right before our pick.

fun fact, Smith is actually a port supporter. so is polec, but there is no chance of him slipping to us

Smith by 1,000 internets.

Still have an odd feeling Lycett or another decent ruckman might be available by our second round pick.

If not, Rookie someone from a lower league.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Out of the two you would have to take Smith
I just don't know where Port sit with Lycett, we did not want to trade for Jacobs this year so maybe they have no intention of even looking a him?
Port might think the ruck stocks are good enough that's why i have this gut feeling if Lycett is there at 16 we will pass on him .
I can't see him lasting till 35.

Toots Hibbert

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Oct 14, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man U,Packers,Feyenoord
I went Smith but it does sound like he won't be there at our pick.

I'm with Porthos, I like Jack Darling. Big mother with attitude.

power09

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2008
Burra SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Timberwolves
Lycett, because i know him :cool:

but Smiths vids on youtube look pretty awsome, cant have too many gun mids, especially when some of ports brightest prospects are injury prone.

I went Smith but it does sound like he won't be there at our pick.

I'm with Porthos, I like Jack Darling. Big mother with attitude.

We do need some angry in your face players.

Who do we have now? Chad, Jackson, Dean B another to make the fella's walk tall wouldn't hurt.
Moribito is 191 isn't he? How does Darling and his tank compare? I am taking this off topic though so sorry.

Nov 16, 2007
Glenelg
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies
Out of the two you would have to take Smith
I just don't know where Port sit with Lycett, we did not want to trade for Jacobs this year so maybe they have no intention of even looking a him?
Port might think the ruck stocks are good enough that's why i have this gut feeling if Lycett is there at 16 we will pass on him .
I can't see him lasting till 35.

Maybe Port didn't trade for Jacobs for exactly this reason - they are looking at picking Lycett with pick 16?

I hope not but its possible

Parker has said that Port will definately "discuss" Lycett at pick 16. This effectively tells us nothing. Well done Geoff, keep those cards close.

Port expects bumper SA draftee crop

"There's going to be a mix of talls, smalls and mediums available when it comes to pick No.16. We'll have a look as we go through as to what types of players we've picked early.

"Everyone knows our key backs are in pretty good shape, but apart from that we'll be picking [all other] types of players and we'll just see who we think is the best player."

Link

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Maybe Port didn't trade for Jacobs for exactly this reason - they are looking at picking Lycett with pick 16?

I hope not but its possible
is it worth using a first round draft pick when your short of good mids when you passed up on a ready to go next season ruckman who you could have got for a second round pick.
You might be right i just see us not wanting to use that pick for a ruckman...i like the lad myself but hes off my list now for that reason only.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
is it worth using a first round draft pick when your short of good mids when you passed up on a ready to go next season ruckman who you could have got for a second round pick.
You might be right i just see us not wanting to use that pick for a ruckman...i like the lad myself but hes off my list now for that reason only.
If our first pick was pick 28 instead of 16, would you go for a promising ruckman if one was available? After all we would be looking at around the twentieth best midfielder in the draft by then and probably 3rd or 4th rated ruckman.

How many players are already missing from this draft that would normally be there?

Back