Free Agency Scott Lycett [joins Port Adelaide as a Restricted Free Agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

It really quite interesting hiw rucks move clubs for opportunity and often improve. Martin couldnt get a game at Melbourne, Sinclair was third in line after Naitanui and Lycett.

I would put Lycett on par with Sinclair at the Swans. Given more opportunity and responsibility he may well improve. Injury has certainly stopped him showing his best.

Martin, Sandilands, Ryder, Goldstein and even Kruiser have some serious km on the clock and starting to show it.

List the younger 25 year olds who will start covering these guys when they retire.

Nic Nat has hardly been bulletproof... how has he gone when he has been #1?

Traditionally GWS have traded out a high end player to get an early pick.. would you do that this year? Coniglio is RFA next year If your cap is struggling others will come with money at him. Of Course you could cough up a pick like 24 or something .. Im sure that would get close to getting him from WC. The issue is they will probably get a pick like that for him as a FA.
I dont think we've been around long enough to have a traditional strategy. Our position is now stable but we've faced a reducing list size and cap until now.
Trading Coniglio would be like expecting WC to trade Nic Nat or Kennedy or the Cats to trade Joel Selwood or Dangerfield, It wont happen willingly.. Of course he will get offers but nothing really changes with FA, he's been on 2 year contracts and re-signed when offerred. If he wanted to go west OOC he would have got there.

We are in a tight squeeze cap wise. We have no remaining high value pllayers OOC this year though.
Now we've decided to play Dawson Simpson maybe nothing happens.

I dont think we've been around long enough to have a traditional strategy. Our position is now stable but we've faced a reducing list size and cap until now.
Trading Coniglio would be like expecting WC to trade Nic Nat or Kennedy or the Cats to trade Joel Selwood or Dangerfield, It wont happen willingly.. Of course he will get offers but nothing really changes with FA, he's been on 2 year contracts and re-signed when offerred. If he wanted to go west OOC he would have got there.

We are in a tight squeeze cap wise. We have no remaining high value pllayers OOC this year though.
Now we've decided to play Dawson Simpson maybe nothing happens.

Traditions can become traditions quickly. If you have SC squeeze the id prepare to defend Coniglio... If WC lose three FA this year they will be primed to come knocking .. anyway back on op
Lycett no longer of interest... as I said I like the look of Briggs.. if Simpson is being kept I could see how you may want to save your cap space

Traditions can become traditions quickly. If you have SC squeeze the id prepare to defend Coniglio... If WC lose three FA this year they will be primed to come knocking .. anyway back on op
Lycett no longer of interest... as I said I like the look of Briggs.. if Simpson is being kept I could see how you may want to save your cap space
Briggs is a long way off being AFL ready but yeah. Lycett woulld be very useful but not at any price. Guys like Cogs and Shiel worry me not at all, the most reliable indicator is past actions.
Kelly more likely but we've given him the vice captaincy and a lot more press time for a reason.

240_F_115891828_lfzinKJokgTtu49J3HrwuraQdy0A9P2k.jpg

Situation has changed.

Last edited:
240_F_115891828_lfzinKJokgTtu49J3HrwuraQdy0A9P2k.jpg

Situation has changed.
Doesnt matter if West Coast dont want to sell him Now will go where the money and opportunity is the best. will still be in NIc Nat Shadow in 2 years time. Time is right for him to go to a club and become a no.1 ruckmen for rest of his Career.

in saying that dont see him going to Port or crows as he will still be the no.2. Can see Geelong and GWS as the 2 main clubs looking at him and possibly Carlton but who would want to go there

Doesnt matter if West Coast dont want to sell him Now will go where the money and opportunity is the best. will still be in NIc Nat Shadow in 2 years time. Time is right for him to go to a club and become a no.1 ruckmen for rest of his Career.

in saying that dont see him going to Port or crows as he will still be the no.2. Can see Geelong and GWS as the 2 main clubs looking at him and possibly Carlton but who would want to go there

They can match. Staying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. He’s a decent player, but quotes on $750k a season seem exorbitant.

Right place, right time i spose.
Think he will stay out west.
I never believe the bullshit figures put out here. No way would Port pay him more than Dixon, Ryder etc etc

This is really going to make keeping Gaff and McGovern hard now that they can't afford to lose Lycett.

Interesting times ahead for WC.
I reacon Gaff’s a lock for WC... and they’ll hold onto Lycett and may have to pay slightly more now..

I think the Gov is the one gone.. it would be stupid of them to pay a fortune for Gov but then lose Lycett and Gaff.. be way better to hold onto Two players instead of one.

Think we may see both gov’s wearing purple next year.. it would be utterly stupid for freo not to atleast make a big move to try make that happen.. it would transform their side.

A gov up forward and a gov down back with the midfield talent they have emerging to help Fyfe is a great spine.

This is really going to make keeping Gaff and McGovern hard now that they can't afford to lose Lycett.

Interesting times ahead for WC.

Wrong. Nics injury just freed up $4-500k in cap space in 2020 onwards.

That money can now be spread around others.

Nic will still get the $300k as an AFL ambassador and another $100k from sponsors. Club now only needs to tip in $3-400k out of the cap not $800k.

Can see Nic getting an extension over the off season which will help in 2019 as well. Nic is a team player and will still earn $700+ pa just not $1m plus unfortunately.

I reacon Gaff’s a lock for WC... and they’ll hold onto Lycett and may have to pay slightly more now..

I think the Gov is the one gone.. it would be stupid of them to pay a fortune for Gov but then lose Lycett and Gaff.. be way better to hold onto Two players instead of one.

Think we may see both gov’s wearing purple next year.. it would be utterly stupid for freo not to atleast make a big move to try make that happen.. it would transform their side.

A gov up forward and a gov down back with the midfield talent they have emerging to help Fyfe is a great spine.
Who would want to go and be coached by Ross the Boss though! If it's a premiership both boys are after better looking elsewhere. Don't think the money is the big issue with Jeremy - more the length of the contract from what I've heard.

Wrong. Nics injury just freed up $4-500k in cap space in 2020 onwards.

That money can now be spread around others.

Nic will still get the $300k as an AFL ambassador and another $100k from sponsors. Club now only needs to tip in $3-400k out of the cap not $800k.

Can see Nic getting an extension over the off season which will help in 2019 as well. Nic is a team player and will still earn $700+ pa just not $1m plus unfortunately.

Plead my ignorance, but wouldn't NN still get paid his normal contract fees ?. He will only miss out on match fees ?.

I can't see you saving money on NN next year.

Plead my ignorance, but wouldn't NN still get paid his normal contract fees ?. He will only miss out on match fees ?.

Have you ever heard of players taking cuts to retain players?

If not go do some research.

Nic is out of contract at the end of next season. He may be on about $800k plus ambassador money plus marketing. So maybe just over $1.1m.

The club offers a two year extension where his base is cut to $400k plus the ambassador top up plus marketing.

So including 2019 3 x $800 $2.4m for three years.

The harsh reality is he gets paid $400k a year just being a marketable AFL player which he would not get if he wasnt on a list.

Nic knows he has been the top earner at the Eagles but unfortuately his body hasnt been up to it. I expect he will take a cut because he puts team success ahead of money and he wkll still be earning top dollar.

There's an injury allowance in the cap. Really hard to find details but essentially you can spend extra if you're paying injured players. Some pretty knowlegeable dudes hang around the DAFTA board so I'm sure someone can clarify.

Have you ever heard of players taking cuts to retain players?

If not go do some research.

Nic is out of contract at the end of next season. He may be on about $800k plus ambassador money plus marketing. So maybe just over $1.1m.

The club offers a two year extension where his base is cut to $400k plus the ambassador top up plus marketing.

So including 2019 3 x $800 $2.4m for three years.

The harsh reality is he gets paid $400k a year just being a marketable AFL player which he would not get if he wasnt on a list.

Nic knows he has been the top earner at the Eagles but unfortuately his body hasnt been up to it. I expect he will take a cut because he puts team success ahead of money and he wkll still be earning top dollar.

I was meaning that the Eagles will not save much money on NN for 2019 (next season). When he renegotiates his contract for 2020 onwards, yep cuts can be made then.

I was meaning that the Eagles will not save much money on NN for 2019 (next season). When he renegotiates his contract for 2020 onwards, yep cuts can be made then.
Not sure there will be too much saving to be honest, NN is a very much a required player and would get big offers thrown at him
the guy is a beast of a player and i could easily see a team like GC throwing $1mil+ Deal his way

Would be great for their marketing

In 2 years time NN will be 30.

Lycett will be our no 1 ruckman for the foreseeable future.

If NN was such a good bloke then I’m sure he will forgo part of his pay check next season to pay off the other boys actually contributing.

Poor Nic Nat :(

Think Lycett stays now. Fantastic opportunity as the No.1 ruck now.

So Lycett takes over Nic Nat's role, with Vardy coming in to take over Lycett's previous role is that you reckon will happen Eagles fans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back