Scott Lycett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nah. We only got 'an Ebert type deal' for Brad because we didn't have any picks in between pick 6 and pick 28, and pick 6 was obviously well overs at the time. This year we'll have a pick around 15, so that's what West Coast will be gunning for, possibly with a second rounder swap or something like that thrown in as well because pick 15-ish would be slight overs.

yeah i agree. if lycett and port are both keen to come together west coast will push for our pick 15ish all the way to the final day. best case i can see them accepting would be our 2nd + ben newton. i would hate to see newts leave as i reckon he has a real future at afl level and is ready to make an impact. i cant see us parting with our first pick either. i dont see our department doing that unless we got another sub 25 pick back from west coast in the deal.

either way we would be paying a price for lycett. im sold that lycett has a future at afl level. im not entirely sure it is the best value spend of high value stocks but its not a terrible spend either. im 50/50.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No sure about the trade. No doubt we need a ruck but maybe our pick doesn't need to come into play. Clurey is serious currency if he feels he would get more opportunity elsewhere.

Yes but in the context of my response it is appropriate. I was responding to RossFC saying he would be playing SANFL.
I'm not saying he's not good enough.
If anyone missed 2 years of footy they would be eased back through the state league.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Reckon the Lycett bus left a bit earlier to be honest. Think he'll get a 4 year deal at Wet Toast.

Griffiths sounds ok as a stop gap for a couple of years.
Gorringe - meh.
One of the Hawks surplus talls perhaps?

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You don't trade out the bigger guys on our list like Clurey. We've seen what happens when our KPPs go down with injury.
Depending on what pick we end up with in rd 1, I would consider using it and swapping around our second round picks.
Lycett himself was taken as a second rounder, and while he has progressed nicely, he's no better than Sam Jacobs was when the Crows took him from Carlton at a similar age.
I do want him though. Looks real strong all over the ground and competitive up forward.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not saying he's not good enough.
If anyone missed 2 years of footy they would be eased back through the state league.

"Even if fit next year he will be playing SANFL" suggests otherwise. If he completes a full preseason which he is on track to do then I see no reason he wouldn't be in the mix come round 1.

"Even if fit next year he will be playing SANFL" suggests otherwise. If he completes a full preseason which he is on track to do then I see no reason he wouldn't be in the mix come round 1.
Because he has been injured for 2 years. We can't throw him back in at AFL level straight away.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Because he has been injured for 2 years. We can't throw him back in at AFL level straight away.

Disagree. No different to a new recruit. If he proves himself in preseason matches and has built up his fitness base sufficiently I see no reason why he wouldn't be considered early in the season.

Disagree. No different to a new recruit. If he proves himself in preseason matches and has built up his fitness base sufficiently I see no reason why he wouldn't be considered early in the season.
I just hope he is fit in December for pre-season training (same goes for Colquhoun). It will give him every chance to make a play for the Powers 2015 team. Which is the best case scenario.
If he isn't then I reckon with Lycett possibly coming in Redden will be eased back in.

Even Robbie Gray spent a month in the SANFL, and that was off of missing one year, not two. Redden will only be playing round 1 if we absolutely positively need him to be.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our first rounder and a swap of second rounders would be fair enough for all parties I think.

i seriously doubt our football department will trade out of the first round entirely. i think it would be a silly move as well. although it seems likely that west coast will throw everything at keeping lycett and will ask the world of us if he wants out.

Rankor

Cancelled
May 31, 2011
Cheltenham
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
newcastle united
If we traded Clurey for Lycett I would want to be on the good end of draft pick swaps.

Maybe Lycett for Clurey and their first for our first. I think Clurey is a better prospect than Lycett.

But i dont want to see Clurey go unless he requests it.

scottjr

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's a pretty deep draft and last season worked ok with Polec. Would see it as a issue I'd we were trading away a top 10 pick but a 15-18 pick down to 22-25 to nail a key position player is ok for mine. Just going through the Phantom Draft boards it's easy to like quite a few players going 20-30.

I'd actually be tempted to put Redden on the rookie list so he doesn't feel pressure to rush his pre-season/rehab and makes sure he gets it right. He's not going to be ready to do anything next year anyway, especially if as expected we are pushing right up there for a flag. Go into the season with a Lobbe/Lycett combination who can rotate through forward/ruck and a competent state-league ruck on the minimum if either get injured.

I'd actually be tempted to put Redden on the rookie list so he doesn't feel pressure to rush his pre-season/rehab and makes sure he gets it right. He's not going to be ready to do anything next year anyway, especially if as expected we are pushing right up there for a flag. Go into the season with a Lobbe/Lycett combination who can rotate through forward/ruck and a competent state-league ruck on the minimum if either get injured.

Wouldn't be possible, another club would snap him up before we had he chance to rookie list him.

Hong-Kong Phooey

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2011
i have no idea
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man United
maybe a change of scenery could do butcher a world of good and WC may take a punt on that.

butcher + second round selection
for
lycett + 3rd round selection

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
maybe a change of scenery could do butcher a world of good and WC may take a punt on that.

butcher + second round selection
for
lycett + 3rd round selection
When are people going to realise no club is going to take a punt on Butcher?

West Coast and Sydney are probably the only 2 teams in the comp that don't need key forwards.

Magpiespower

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan
Dec 16, 2004
Salisbury
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Tredders and Fantasia gave him a massive wrap on SA Footy...

big-kev.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back