Scott McLaren fails to recall simple rule

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what's been paid the last 6 years.

Ruckman takes the ball from the ruck:

a) Still gets a chance to immediately dispose of the ball, "play on" if he does.
b) If the ball is pinned in the tackle, then obviously the player cannot dispose, therefore, it's a free kick.
c) If the player incorrectly disposed, e.g. misses the handball or kick, it's also a free kick.

Where the bounce or throw-in is offline:

a) The field umpire will call "play on".
b) If the player takes possession, general play rules apply. ie. Not an instantaneous "prior opportunity".

It's never a free kick just because a player is tackled.

Exactly right - this thread is embarrassing, I'd suggest some of the Port supporters in here learn the rules. The official rules were quoted by a Port supporter yet they still disagree with them :eek:

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
I can't believe how many thick people there are on this board.

How can there be so many people that misunderstand plain english?

15.2.3 Holding the Football — Prior Opportunity/No Prior Opportunity Where the field Umpire is satisfied that a Player in possession of the football:

(a) has had a prior opportunity to dispose of the football, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against that Player if the Player does not Kick or Handball the football immediately when he or she is Correctly Tackled;

ie if you handball it, it's not a free kick. It's not like it's come out of a nuclear physics textbook. Most 8 year olds would be able to understand it. Ported even quoted the rules and still got it wrong. Unbelievable.

Apr 14, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
It's amazing how many people don't know the rules. Yet, I guess it's not really surprising when you see all the whinging at games and on BF and elsewhere about how their team was ripped off by the umpires. Ridiculous thread.

D-N-R

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2005
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WCE
Throw in close to centre wing. Collingwood ruckman jumps, takes the ball, is immediately tackled by Port ruckman. Collingwood ruck scrambles a handball out, play on.

After a few seconds the ball is locked up awaiting a ball up. Peter Burgoyne argues a clear holding the ball at the throw in and, to quote McLaren, "He got the handball out." Peter Burgoyne; "What do you mean!?"

Correct interpretation. I think the other respondents on this thread have covered it.

Not only all year, it's been like that for about 5 or 6 years. Matthew Primus was the main reason the rule was brought in.

To claim that Primus was the reason for this rule is even more laughable than this thread. The reason for the rule change was to stop all ruckmen milking the clock by taking the ball at bounces and allowing themselves to be tackled forcing another bounce - rinse and repeat. The solution was to apply the 'prior opportunity' rules to these contests.

They also applied this rule to throw-ins with the additional rule of making it OOBOTF if the ruckman punches the ball directly over the line immediately from the throw-in. They also apply the deliberate OOB rules to the ruckmen in these contests, so the ball doesn't have to go out on the full for them to be punished.

Seth

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2001
In the Study
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cameron University Aggies
From the official AFL rules:

The ruckman handballed after being tackled. McLaren was completely wrong.

Ummm the moron bus left 5 minutes ago.

He is allowed to do that you goose. It would only be if Fraser grabbed it and a tackle laid and the ball is held in then that would be a free because it is regarded as prior oppurtunity. IF HE GETS A HANDBALL AWAY THEN HE HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG!!!

get it now or do you need further explanation. You looking like a fool.

Seth

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2001
In the Study
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yes, it's been the rule for years.

Since when. It must in the local Port Adelaide district footy league because you people seem to be the only ones who think this way.

Some of you Port supporters should never ever come on here again and whinge about the umpires or a rule because you obviously DON'T KNOW THEM!!

Seth

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2001
In the Study
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Well then umpires have been paying incorrect free kicks for the last 6 years, and today Scott McLaren decided he'd start abiding by the laws....

I spose the hip'n shoulder to Robbie Grays head was legal as well :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong in no way am I blaming any umpiring on the loss but it just adds to the frustration as I'm sure you've felt before.

Sorry for all the replies but I have got to scream.

Rory you are truly embarrassing yourself. Give it away now, go and play chess - actually don't do that as the there are certain rules in that game you may find confusing.

And the head high bump to his head???? I suggest you watch it on the replay again bud. He bumped him to the shoulder area, very clearly. If it wasn't then I'm sure Sidebottom would have been cited by the MRP, but he wasn't, because he didn't get him in the head, but dont let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Seriously some of you port supporters with this are just plain dumb.

If you want to whinge about something legit I'll give you a hand. Rodan got a free on the boundary and continued to play on sort of and the ump called an advantage when it clearly was not and should have been brought back. I'll give you that decision because even all the pies supporters at the game thought it was a crap call. There you go you can have that.

jpdixon

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's not that hard - it has never been HTB if you get a kick or handball away immediately. Not at any time, any state of play, any level of prior opportunity. Of course, there is a certain level of ambiguity in the word "immediately", but the point of the rule in any situation has always been that a tackled player can pass the ball.

Back