Scott Morrison - How Long? Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering Adani is getting $4.4b in subsidies, favourable deals and tax breaks over 30 years or $146,666,667 a year and that's just Adani. I sincerely doubt that solar panels will ever get close to Adani let alone all the other subsidies going to other coal mines.

Considering Adani is getting $4.4b in subsidies, favourable deals and tax breaks over 30 years or $146,666,667 a year and that's just Adani. I sincerely doubt that solar panels will ever get close to Adani let alone all the other subsidies going to other coal mines.

I believe the subsides are around $2200 per install on average - it fluctuates

that one subsidy adani is getting would subsidise 2 000 000 australian households getting solar panels

or 1 000 000 pensioners full solar systems

imagine how many jobs that could generate?

A million solar systems for pensioners.....

Malcolm Turnbull slams PM's response to climate change and bushfires

"I don't know why Scott Morrison has acted the way he has, to be frank with you. I worked with him very closely, I've known him for 20 years and I can't explain his conduct," the former prime minister told the BBC.

"I can't explain why he didn't meet the former fire commissioners who wanted to see him in March last year to talk about the gravity of the threat. Everybody knew we were in a very dry time and as a consequence the fire season was likely to be very bad.

"So rather than doing what a leader should do and preparing people for that, he downplayed it and then of course chose to go away on holiday in Hawaii? At the peak of the crisis? I just can't explain any of that. It's just not consistent with the way in which a prime minister would or should act."

Unemployment figures today.

I am predicting figures that will be worse than expected, perhaps 5.3% v 5.2% which will be the trigger for another interest rate cut.

This will tank the dollar again, kill confidence further, kill retailers further because we import all of our finished goods which become more expensive because of the dollar and further expose the Morrison government’s woeful economic management. It has been going downhill since the moment he took over.

Retailing is in the dumpster. To spend $500m and not open a store says it all.

The positive is we have Scotty from Marketing to save our economy. 🤪🤪🤪🤪

They simply have bigger fish to fry dealing with the impact Brexit will have on their company is all.

Wait wat?

feed in tarrifs?

where us solar owners get paid 6c a kwh for generating power?

sorry mate that isnt any form of rebate or tax incentive thats beinv paid (fwark all) for generating power and putting it into the grid.

as for the rest of your question I had a google and basically got a shitload of ads and government bumf promoting it...... im too tired to fine tune my search - i started 9m2 of 78m2 of brick paving around my house today - everything hurts....
When solar was first coming into WA in a big way the feed in price was something like 47c or 48c, way more than the 6 or 7c it is now.

Those deals were locked in for 7 to 8 years as incentive to get people into it.

If the tax on fuel that is for funding the cost of repairs to the road network being returned to businesses that don't use the road is seen as government giving money to that industry then the premium price on feed in is too.

I doubt it would even be visible when placed next to the subsidies to the coal industry.
I'm not even sure the figure for solar will ever be known anyway.

But it is worth discussing both with full transparency of the figures especially when, from what I understand, one of them is public spending and the other is the public not taking as much as it could.

What about the one that gets humongous tax exemptions?
That's the first line. I don't see it as spending when they just give less to the government.

If government has $100 and the mine doesn't pay it's road repair fuel tax then government has $100. But if it pays $20 to have your solar installed then it has $80

That's the first line. I don't see it as spending when they just give less to the government.

If government has $100 and the mine doesn't pay it's road repair fuel tax then government has $100. But if it pays $20 to have your solar installed then it has $80
Weird way of looking at it.

Revenue foregone is a cost. No other way to describe it, not in the real world at least.

But I think I know where you're coming from, and it's ideological first and last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone totalled the amount of subsidies paid out so far on solar panel rebates and feed in tarrifs?

I haven't seen any response to my question to you about our emissions.

Countries with Australias CO2 emissions (about 1% of total) or similar (up to 2% or less than 1%) produce about 40% of all CO2 emissions.

We are a rich country that can afford to lower emissions, what does our lack of action say to those other countries sharing in production of 40% of total emissions? Do you still think we shouldn't bother doing anything about our emissions as they won't make any difference?

Supermarket retailing is still productive though no? The fact is that firstly the European market which was one of the primary reasons that Kaufland left has no relevance to the Australian market. Secondly seems that they might have discovered that they cannot compete against Aldi and Woolworths and Coles which would indicate issuexs with their own business.

So why would you blow $500m and decide not to open?

Do you think if you had done your due diligence, you would have already realised how competitive the supermarket business before spending HALF A BILLION dollars on rental leases/agreements etc?

Your lack of business nous is clearly evident.

Weird way of looking at it.

Revenue foregone is a cost. No other way to describe it, not in the real world at least.

But I think I know where you're coming from, and it's ideological first and last.

I think looking at money not taken in as a cost is the funny way of looking at it. You're welcome to consider the government entitled to all the money moving around but generously only taking a smaller percentage, I think that's the wrong perspective.

It doesn't cost the government 70% of your salary to only take you 30% of it.

Money not made isn't a cost. It isn't a negative on the balance sheet, it just isn't a positive.

And there is a difference.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any response to my question to you about our emissions.

Countries with Australias CO2 emissions (about 1% of total) or similar (up to 2% or less than 1%) produce about 40% of all CO2 emissions.

We are a rich country that can afford to lower emissions, what does our lack of action say to those other countries sharing in production of 40% of total emissions? Do you still think we shouldn't bother doing anything about our emissions as they won't make any difference?

I think we need to know exactly what our emissions reduction is hoping to achieve because that's really what we are going for here isn't it, actual results?
And if Australia's reduction of 100% doesn't have an impact then the cost to do that won't be worth it.

We should be taking direct mitigating action against our own emissions first, then expanding those operations to offset the emissions of other nations.

That's the course of action I see that would be actually taking steps towards a goal of cleaning up the atmosphere. As far as I know if the whole world went 100% emissions free today we already have too much CO2 in the atmosphere to stop a problem.

I think we need to know exactly what our emissions reduction is hoping to achieve because that's really what we are going for here isn't it, actual results?
And if Australia's reduction of 100% doesn't have an impact then the cost to do that won't be worth it.

We should be taking direct mitigating action against our own emissions first, then expanding those operations to offset the emissions of other nations.

That's the course of action I see that would be actually taking steps towards a goal of cleaning up the atmosphere. As far as I know if the whole world went 100% emissions free today we already have too much CO2 in the atmosphere to stop a problem.
NETs
Yes, it's no guarantee. But neither was government funding of a small group looking in to hearing implants 30 odd years ago.
But it has financial upside, potential social benefit and global political cred.

Green the desert..... if we started planting millions of trees instead of cutting them down

invent more carbon sequestration technologies.

or throw your hands upin the air and say too hard and kick it down the road for your kids and their kids to do all the lifting.

what we are doing is no different than the government taking out a trillion dollar30 year interest free loan with triple the interest rate after the free period and spending it on plasma bonuses......

and you guys can't list any achievements.
You're forgetting the tourism campaign for Hawaii.
And the awesome new sports facilities for the over priveliged.
And the record stock market prices on the back of record PE ratios.
And the return to housing unaffordability.

Green the desert..... if we started planting millions of trees instead of cutting them down

invent more carbon sequestration technologies.

or throw your hands upin the air and say too hard and kick it down the road for your kids and their kids to do all the lifting.

what we are doing is no different than the government taking out a trillion dollar30 year interest free loan with triple the interest rate after the free period and spending it on plasma bonuses......

I'm on board with the idea of carbon sequestration and increasing the green density of Australia's wide open spaces.

I'm not for political opposition saying things like "we clearly need to do more" and the like, but not offering an alternative plan. It might sound cynical but I see emission reduction measures as kicking the can down the road just as much, especially promises of 50% or more in 30 years - that's ten elections here.

We have had a planet of policy so far based around reducing emissions that has achieved nothing and emissions are higher. Walking slower into the fire doesn't stop us getting burned so yes, we need to build some system where we plant more trees, capture more carbon and start taking steps away from the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back