Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Given I rely on keeping out of lockdown for my livelihood and to keep my lights on, my risk tolerance isn't that high.

I don't agree with the ban. But I would back the medical experts over Michael Slater
If states can close borders and turn back flights, and international travel is almost impossible for those who live here, there's no reason why we can't close our borders to nations that are infested with the virus.

Our strategy relies on keeping the virus out. The only Australian state that has shown it can manage community transmission is NSW. I for one don't want another mishap in Vic HQ.

Lock them out. Scummo has got this one right.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I struggle to have any sympathy for wealthy sportspeople suffering in 5 star accom

that said, if this travel was signed off and approved by the govt, they do have a duty of care to bring them back

and this goes the same for any arrangements that the govt reviewed and approved.

there is a big difference between this and lying about your reason for travel, hopping via third nations, or ignoring govt advice and travelling anyway
Disagree. The situation is rapidly evolving worldwide and even between states. Travel at your own risk.

Disagree. The situation is rapidly evolving worldwide and even between states. Travel at your own risk.

Remember it's only travel for four approved reasons. If they were approved, it's not for a Kontiki tour

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I support the ban on people from India who aren't Australian citizens, just like I said the same thing about the US and UK early in the pandemic.

But, much like the HQ issue where everyone cared about who hired private security firms, everyone is missing the main point.

After 1 year, how do we not have a Quarantine system capable of repatriating our own citizens such that the medical advice is to not let too many in??

Quarantine is a complete debacle and the branch of Government tasked with Quarantine refuses to do anything about it.

They say no to using defence facilities. But what good is defence against planes and missiles if the enemy can just drop a few COVID bombs in each city and Australians would be dying in their droves until being locked away again.

Having no Quarantine leaves us susceptible to attack. If not COVID this time, what next? What if our soldiers are deployed overseas and contract COVID? How do we get them home?
The boomers who refuse to take the AZ vaccine put us at risk also.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I have never referred to the PM by that term. I try to avoid calling him "Scomo" as well as I think it's just bogan nonsense. I make no apology for my past and present use of the following in reference to the current PM though:

Grub
Vile piece of sh*t
Hillsong w***er
F***wit
Pig
Filth
Human garbage
Oxygen thief
Scumbag
Dickhead
Fraud
Hypocrite
Liar
Criminal
Morally bereft
Bottomfeeder
Snake
Ethically bankrupt
Rape enabler
Sunday Christian
Dog
Prick
Loser
The marketing guy
Backstabbing c*nt
Homophobe
etc
Add jenkem inhaler to the list, mate. ;)

On the other hand, it surprises me to see Dan fans critique the use of excessive fines.

The fines is weird tbh

Firstly scomo comes.out and says noones gunna get fined, so it's basically just for pr

Then I have equal treatment. The fine only on people from India makes no sense. If done, it needs to be a fine for anyone violating a 14 day requirement for any declared country. This was an issue previously with people doing the dodge via third countries, so it could catch this issue too.

I just think unlike wa (who ain't bluffing, and have sent peeps to jail) this is a reactionary move to attempt to appease the masses.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
The fines is weird tbh

Firstly scomo comes.out and says noones gunna get fined, so it's basically just for pr

Then I have equal treatment. The fine only on people from India makes no sense. If done, it needs to be a fine for anyone violating a 14 day requirement for any declared country. This was an issue previously with people doing the dodge via third countries, so it could catch this issue too.

I just think unlike wa (who ain't bluffing, and have sent peeps to jail) this is a reactionary move to attempt to appease the masses.
Didn't most of the Vic fines get waved? Politics seems like a game of poker to me.

There's a responsibility to bring our citizens home when we have the capacity to do so. The risk/reward isn't there right now, so I prefer a conservative approach.

If one case of community transmission is likely to lead to another lockdown, a hardline approach is in the best interests of our nation.

Didn't most of the Vic fines get waved? Politics seems like a game of poker to me.

There's a responsibility to bring our citizens home when we have the capacity to do so. The risk/reward isn't there right now, so I prefer a conservative approach.

If one case of community transmission is likely to lead to another lockdown, a hardline approach is in the best interests of our nation.

I'm not debating the ban. My gut is our hq is close to breaking point (with accumulated infected cases), so the India ban is a way of targeting only one origin and not blaming the system.

I think it would have been fairer to ratio flights down overall.

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I'm not debating the ban. My gut is our hq is close to breaking point (with accumulated infected cases), so the India ban is a way of targeting only one origin and not blaming the system.

I think it would have been fairer to ratio flights down overall.
You're more politically savvy than me. Do you think the blanket ban was pushed by the states?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Watching qanda now it’s all being framed as ‘let’s bring people home’ as if that’s the only moral qualifier. It’s yesterday’s conversation being rehashed but the politicians are very comfortable ignoring all the sportspeople actors etc. coming and going seemingly at will.

people are leaving and coming back all the time. The danger is normal becomes only well off people or connected people travel at will and the rest of us just settle for our lot.

only a matter of time before corruption bribery to get access to travel happens, like in the old iron curtain.

You're more politically savvy than me. Do you think the blanket ban was pushed by the states?

I think in the last two weeks we have had leakage issues in both WA and NSW, both involving people getting infected from detainees. That's a sign things are getting chockers, and the mitigation measures in place cannot handle the volume of infected.

I think the states are.sick of being blamed for this, and it wouldn't surprise me if in addition to Vic and wa reducing numbers, others were threatening to do so too.

Just a guess with no evidence however

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
The fines is weird tbh

don’t hold your breath waiting for the red/green list other countries seem tohave managed. Lazy arses our lot as long as the ‘message’ is being framed

is it 2 weeks since scomo mentioned it? Must be a thousand times harder than framing some increasingly draconian legislation

Last edited:

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
I think in the last two weeks we have had leakage issues in both WA and NSW, both involving people getting infected from detainees. That's a sign things are getting chockers, and the mitigation measures in place cannot handle the volume of infected.

I think the states are.sick of being blamed for this, and it wouldn't surprise me if in addition to Vic and wa reducing numbers, others were threatening to do so too.

Just a guess with no evidence however
That makes a lot of sense.

I don't see this working against ScoMo. Protecting borders and keeping covid out has proved to be popular.

That makes a lot of sense.

I don't see this working against ScoMo. Protecting borders and keeping covid out has proved to be popular.

The curious bit is the backbench and Bolta opposition

That's not good for scomo, and may be a sign Dutton will.move soon

Pessimistic

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2000
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
On the other hand, it surprises me to see Dan fans critique the use of excessive fines.

Which victorian measure was in for more than a year? - Just travel caps...so federal/state isnt doing much there.

Well we know it will be fixed by 2032 - Brisbane olympics. No restriction on athletes for japan- are parents allowed to go too?

don’t hold your breath waiting for the red/green list other countries seem tohave managed. Lazy arses our lot as long as the ‘message’ is being framed

is it 2 weeks since scomo mentioned it? Must be a thousand times harder than framing some increasingly draconian legislation
It is easier to have a green list when your own country has circulation of covid ie the other countries are in same boat. While for us and nz the only same boat countries are the effectively nil cases. Which is a very short list (if China is telling true of its case list - I think they probably are) they would be green but given current low trust level for chicom government...

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
The New Years cricketers shindig at Kirribilli that every PM uses for PR purposes might be looking a little different than normal this year...

Because Mike Hussey might die of COVID in India? To be honest about what appears to be the majority of Australians. They'd probably wear a dozen or two dozen dual citizens dying in India. But if Mr Cricket dies, Dutton will evict Morrison off to Xmas island.

It's been Morrison's fate all along that he gets fired from every job he's ever had. So it's only fitting that the firing will happen internally again. That's what the Bolt, Canavan and others are all about (plus the very conservative Indian-Australian population are big LNP donors).

As I stated previously, I agree with further restrictions on flights from countries with huge infection rates, so singling out India at the moment is the right decision IMO. The problem is that I was advocating for this on other countries previously and ScoMo was dead against it.

(Not to forget that Priority Number 1 should be that HQ needs to be replaced with a proper quarantine facility.)

If Dutton lops Morrison, then begins building three huge quarantine facilities. They'll win the next election in a canter. (Unless Mr Cricket dies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back