Opinion Scott Pendlebury’s exit strategy

How do you reckon Pendles will exit Collingwood?

• Retire a one-club player at the top of his game

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • Retire when body gives up

Votes: 77 54.2%
  • Traded out

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Sacked over drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang

Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Delisted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Of course Scott Pendlebury will break Michael Tuck’s Boomer Harvey’s * game record ...

... (currently Pendles 286, Harvey 432) ...

... but what do you reckon Pendles’ exit strategy will look like?

(1) First up, how many seasons do you think Pendles has left in him?
At the very least he should get Shaw's record. Harvey/Tuck are too far away to consider at this stage. From memory Harvey/Bradley/Fletcher were largely on one year contracts towards the end and that's the right way.

He’s currently 31.

His current contract runs out end of 2020 season.

Our previous three captains were Maxwell (retired at 31), Burns (retired at 33) and Buckley (retired at 35)

GAJ and Luke Hodge are currently 35

(2) On the question of the captaincy, should/would there be a succession plan that allows an orderly handover / crossover, like happened with Maxwell -> Pendlebury? Or will Pendlebury exit the captaincy on the day he retires without a succession plan in place like what happened with Buckley -> Burns?
Most likely will be a handover as we've done with Shaw/Brown and Maxwell/Pendlebury. Buckley/Burns was a matter of circumstances through Buckley's hamstrings and Clement retiring early for family reasons.

(3) How do you think Pendles will exit Collingwood?

Will he retire at Collingwood when he’s at the top of his game? (eg: Leigh ‘The Anvil’ Brown)
Will he retire at Collingwood when his body has given up and he can give no more? (Eg: N.Buckley)
Will he seek / get traded, Eg: to get the experience of another club environment? (Eg: Hodge, Mitchell)
Baring a Buckley/Swan injury situation he'll go out in the manner of Shaw while he's still capable of good footy. He's been resilient and has never relied upon pace, so it will be a form issue and one that's more based on the form of others; I can't see Pendlebury standing in the way of a younger player. His experience at another club will come as non-playing assistant coach, should he ultimately go down the coaching path.

And for completeness ...

Will he get sacked over some drug fuelled sex scandal involving organised crime and an outlaw motorcycle gang?
Will he get delisted?
Will he leave as a free agent? (Not up with the FA rules, is this an option? Somebody let me know and I’ll add to poll if necessary)

Poll above
Next
No, will retire
No, one club player

(4) What are the considerations of Pendles going to another club?

IIRC, he’s interested in a future in coaching, so maybe he’d benefit from seeing inside another club environment?
See Q3

Would Collingwood consider trading him out while he still has some value? (Obviously Ed would rather cast Pendles in bronze before he’d allow that to happen, but would / should Collingwood be ruthless in the quest of Premierships if that makes sense?)

Or let him go where he wants to go for peanuts?

Obviously Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge are useful prototypes for this discussion.

* Thanks 35Daicos Pricey97
At his age I dare say Pendlebury is already worth more to us than we'd get in return. I'm liking the slight change to his role this year where we're using his kicking skills more on the outside and to deliver the footy inside 50.

Last edited:
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He will play for another 6 seasons outside of this one.

He will age better than any of the other top flight midfielders of his era.

Will not lose his lateral movement unlike players who will lose their explosiveness, and his elite kicking skills will be perfectly suited to a role off half back.

Will be a very, very good rebounding defender for many years to come once he steps away from the midfield.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
I reckon he'd drop himself down as low as 250k to keep the list together and to prolong his playing career. Can see him playing until the end of the 2022 season personally. Then coaching.

This is what I was thinking a pendles on 250 is a no brainer

500k In say 21 , 22 , 23 would require a lot more thought with how our list is shaping.

The cap squeeze so to speak this is an area that could help quite a bit. Also how bad is it

Wells
Goldsack
Reid
Varcoe

All likely to be gone

Add
Crocker
Broomhead
Mayne (or a similar to pendles big reduction)

Greenwood
Murray

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood

500k In say 21 , 22 , 23 would require a lot more thought with how our list is shaping.

The cap squeeze so to speak this is an area that could help quite a bit. Also how bad is it

Wells
Goldsack
Reid
Varcoe

All likely to be gone

Add
Crocker
Broomhead

Greenwood
Murray

To be fair, blokes like Crocker and Broomhead, even Dunn... you don't mind having these on your list too much. Although not necessarily playing ones - and neither Crocker and Broomhead currently belting the door down - these guys would be practically minimum wage, break-glass-in-extrene-emergency types.

It's better to have minimum wagers in their third, fourth, fifth+ years than a first or second year draftee.

It's also the reason I think we held onto Blair and Oxley longer than most of us expected.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
To be fair, blokes like Crocker and Broomhead, even Dunn... you don't mind having these on your list too much. Although not necessarily playing ones - and neither Crocker and Broomhead currently belting the door down - these guys would be practically minimum wage, break-glass-in-extrene-emergency types.

It's better to have minimum wagers in their third, fourth, fifth+ years than a first or second year draftee.

It's also the reason I think we held onto Blair and Oxley longer than most of us expected.

Valid point

Wells , Mayne a reduced pendles would all help ease quite a bit I think reid would be 350 - 400 as well

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Definitely a 1 club player. Will retire on his terms but could conceivably play for another 3-4 seasons. Doubt he'll get close to either Tuck or Harvey but Tony Shaw's Collingwood record will be broken.
Agree, on his terms and without the stink of some other Club on him.

Darkyprotector

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO 2020 will sign again for 1
Ditto 2021

Can't see anyone offering much more
In the meantime we get to see his replacement
Tom Wilson

Win win

Bucks to Carlton?
Yep and after finally making the finals under Bolton, the Blues players are furious. He's been a father figure to many. Cripps, walsh and McKay are so angry that they walk as free agents to Collingwood, agreeing to pay for minimum wage.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
i love how some are saying, hey Pendles you are a superstar of our club and you have been great and i know you will be great for the next few years but take a pay cut of 75% please.
I would love to see those who want him to take a pay cut do with a 75% pay cut.

anyway if that happened and he left for another club i would be devastated but it would be typical Collingwood. Hardly any of our superstars end up their career at the Pies and its sad.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
i love how some are saying, hey Pendles you are a superstar of our club and you have been great and i know you will be great for the next few years but take a pay cut of 75% please.

anyway if that happened and he left for another club i would be devastated but it would be typical Collingwood. Hardly any of our superstars end up their career at the Pies and its sad.

So stay on same money who you giving up ?

Darcy , De Goey or Grundy

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Wells Greenwood Reid Varcoe Goldsack Broomhead Roughead Crocker and Mayne (not all this year)

But they need to be replaced with someone as well Pendles would be on 850 - 1 million if he’s next contract is anywhere near that you are not keeping all the other three and Sier is as good as gone

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

While I'm certainly not suggesting we cut his salary by any specific level, the vast majority take a 75% pay cut and they're below the poverty line, Pendles take that level of cut and he's likely still pulling $200k, so it's not really as simplistic as you suggest.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So stay on same money who you giving up ?

Darcy , De Goey or Grundy
he wont stay on the same money but anything less than 600k is an insult. Does the senior discount still happen? where a players salary over 30 counts as half.
We have to keep Stephenson De Goey Grundy and Moore and Beams is on peanuts this year and will get paid a lot more in the next couple of years. WE have the deepest list in the AFL we cannot keep everyone, but we owe Pendles he doesnt owe us.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
While I'm certainly not suggesting we cut his salary by any specific level, the vast majority take a 75% pay cut and they're below the poverty line, Pendles take that level of cut and he's likely still pulling $200k, so it's not really as simplistic as you suggest.
Well he is still a top 3 player at the club and i cant see him dropping below 10 for the next 3 or 4 years. So why push him away when he is still very valuable to us in a premiership window?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well he is still a top 3 player at the club and i cant see him dropping below 10 for the next 3 or 4 years. So why push him away when he is still very valuable to us in a premiership window?

I think while he continues to play footy at this level he'll continue to be paid appropriately but there will come a time when he'll be reduced to 1 year deal offers on significantly less than he's making now. It'll be up to him then to decide if a 1 year deal on $200-300k (for the sake of the discussion) is better than starting life beyond footy (doing ????) or if he thinks he can attract a grandfather offer at another club. I'd assume it'd need to be a ridiculous $500-600k 2-3 year offer to lure him to another club and I wouldn't begrudge him taking that or want/expect us to match.

I certainly don't know what his intensions post footy are but if they're limited then 1 year or 2 at $200-300k isn't a bad super scheme when really there aren't too many jobs paying anywhere near that sort of salary. As I understand it, he's just done almost exactly that by extending his current deal on less money. Ditto Sidey. Ditto Beams. Ditto Wells.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
But they need to be replaced with someone as well Pendles would be on 850 - 1 million if he’s next contract is anywhere near that you are not keeping all the other three and Sier is as good as gone

Pendles is worth every cent. No doubt his salary will decline as his career progresses from here but currently he’s in the best form he’s been in for a couple of seasons. No rush to be putting him on slave wages just yet.

We will slot Sier easily into our cap if he’s reasonable and prices himself according to his achievements so far and also to his premiership ambitions. Maybe he can ask Daisy for some career advice, just like Darcy Moore might have asked his old man.

Whatever his exit strategy is, we'll all fall over and miss it......

giphy.gif

Last edited:
he wont stay on the same money but anything less than 600k is an insult. Does the senior discount still happen? where a players salary over 30 counts as half.
We have to keep Stephenson De Goey Grundy and Moore and Beams is on peanuts this year and will get paid a lot more in the next couple of years. WE have the deepest list in the AFL we cannot keep everyone, but we owe Pendles he doesnt owe us.

Depends how good he is playing come contract renewal time. $600,000 sounds like a lot to me. Maybe top 5 in the club? I don't really have any idea. Hopefully he is still in that range of players, but a fair bit of water to flow under the bridge before then.

Wells
Goldsack
Reid
Varcoe

All likely to be gone

Add
Crocker
Broomhead

Greenwood
Murray
Goldsack would be on barely anything though.

Back