Toast Scott Pendlebury captain with Steele and Taylor deputising

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

Treloar, Varcoe, Reid are all names you could have thrown into that hat.
Jesus we've fallen if they're the names we put up.

Treloar maybe. Reid and Varcoe on the other hand do not scream leadership at all to me.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
You'd have to go Adams then maybe Treloar if you were fair dinkum as a club.

Sidebottom, doesn't scream Captain of the club off field, on field he makes too many critical errors and doesn't grab the game by the horns enough.
What has Sidebottom done off field to give you concerns?

Or are you confused with Adams who has prior incident with being publically intoxicated.

I think in previous years they've had a vice captain representing each of the lines? (Forwards, mids, backs)

Looks like they've changed that format. Maybe it's a sign that the they're taking a less silo'ed approach to player structure this year?

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a positive that everybody in the leadership group is certain best 22 this year.
That's a good point.

Youhavesay 7 titles and one gets dropped then classic melt.

Keep it simple. We have the ideal troika leading us.

Or are you confused with Adams who has prior incident with being publically intoxicated.
He likes a good time off the field. He's your typical country boy, hang with your mates and chill dude.

More your Swan type than your Wayne Carey type if you get my meaning.

Halelujah I say. The way leadership groups were going some clubs were looking at having a "leader" for every other player. Ridiculous. So I'm very happy that we've scaled it back to the minimum that's needed. It allows players to take ownership of their own role. Having just a Captain and two VCs should allow a more consistent message to get through too. From a few things I've read throughout the preseason it seems that the club has taken a more player-driven approach, something that gives each of them more responsibility for themselves and creates less of a heirarchy amongst the group.

bucksisbest

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2002
Club Silencio
AFL Club
Collingwood

Off field image doesn't scream leader, presents himself as bashful, quiet and a jokester. Doesn't speak particularly well at events like the Copeland trophy, he also appears to lack presence in those situations.

Steele hasn't done anything wrong, but is also notorious for liking a good time off the field. IIRC Adams I think was also involved in an assault related incident when he was with GWS, but he has other qualities onfield and off field going for him, that Steele lacks IMO.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Off field image doesn't scream leader, presents himself as bashful, quiet and a jokester. Doesn't speak particularly well at events like the Copeland trophy, he also appears to lack presence in those situations.

Steele hasn't done anything wrong, but is also notorious for liking a good time off the field. IIRC Adams I think was also involved in an assault related incident when he was with GWS, but he has other qualities onfield and off field going for him, that Steele lacks IMO.

Agree about Steele.. can be perceived as being laconic.

Adams is not necessarily well versed.

I'd like to see Moore as our next captain in a coupla yrs time.

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Halelujah I say. The way leadership groups were going some clubs were looking at having a "leader" for every other player. Ridiculous. So I'm very happy that we've scaled it back to the minimum that's needed. It allows players to take ownership of their own role. Having just a Captain and two VCs should allow a more consistent message to get through too. From a few things I've read throughout the preseason it seems that the club has taken a more player-driven approach, something that gives each of them more responsibility for themselves and creates less of a heirarchy amongst the group.
So this. Why do you need 6 players in a leadership group? To me that's an over kill. All the senior players should be helping the young kids and then for the rest of the dealings those 3 are perfect.

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
I'm happy that Pendlebury is captain again,but disappointed to read that Steele and Taylor are disputing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
How Steele retained his title is beyond me, but I dip my lid to the club for wisely whittling the numbers down with options thin on the ground (aside from Treloar).

Hey Scodog10 do you know if Grundy has any leadership aspirations??

He is my pick after Treloar.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely agree. Seems some club have most of the playing group as leaders which IMO lessens the prestige of the role.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
I think in previous years they've had a vice captain representing each of the lines? (Forwards, mids, backs)

Looks like they've changed that format. Maybe it's a sign that the they're taking a less silo'ed approach to player structure this year?

Or Adams (back), Sidebottom (forward) ;)

ottoman

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2014
Istanbul
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sidebottom just doesn't seem like a leader to me. However I do recall watching or reading somewhere that when Pendles was asked who he thought the next captain would be he said Steele.
Love the fact Adams is in the group and think he should be the next captain.

Thank god Nathan Brown isn't in it...

Rate Pendlebury now. Thought he captained too early but prime now.

Adams not sure about him as a captain. Heath Shaw like and look what we did with him.

Sidebottom. I like.

Adams is nothing like Shaw.

Adams to half back, Sidebottom to half forward? Seriously though, we have leaders without titles in those areas with Pendlebury speaking of Reid, Smith and Fasolo as others being capable.

Surprised that Pendles has named these two. Smith still a relative newbie, and I've never for a moment thought of Faz as a leader. Emphasises again how little can be known about how the individual players perform and interact behind the scenes.

Thank Christ we haven't gone a stupid 9 man leadership group. Hate seeing half the team in what should be an exclusive position

9 was too many but I thought we have 5

Sidebottom just doesn't seem like a leader to me. However I do recall watching or reading somewhere that when Pendles was asked who he thought the next captain would be he said Steele.
Love the fact Adams is in the group and think he should be the next captain.

I thought Pendles said that Langdon was his Choice as next Captain

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I like it, good to see! Pendles might not win a brownlow but up there as one of modern greats, premiership player too. Sidebottom,very good player for a long time, seems like a player that is approachable and a good communicator. Just has to keep his elbows in.
Adams, hard nut, uncompromising, inspirational. Is a little ripper!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back