Toast Scott Pendlebury captain with Steele and Taylor deputising

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Off field image doesn't scream leader, presents himself as bashful, quiet and a jokester. Doesn't speak particularly well at events like the Copeland trophy, he also appears to lack presence in those situations.

Steele hasn't done anything wrong, but is also notorious for liking a good time off the field. IIRC Adams I think was also involved in an assault related incident when he was with GWS, but he has other qualities onfield and off field going for him, that Steele lacks IMO.
Adams doesn't have anything going for him off field apart from the previous mentioned drunken and assault incidents. I don't see any leadership qualities in him. His spot really should of gone to Treloar.

MrStealYourGirl

Senior List
Oct 22, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Off field image doesn't scream leader, presents himself as bashful, quiet and a jokester. Doesn't speak particularly well at events like the Copeland trophy, he also appears to lack presence in those situations.

Steele hasn't done anything wrong, but is also notorious for liking a good time off the field. IIRC Adams I think was also involved in an assault related incident when he was with GWS, but he has other qualities onfield and off field going for him, that Steele lacks IMO.
How can you base your opinion off his ability to talk at Copelands? You have to realise the leaders are put up by the players mostly and they obviously respect Steele and his football IQ and ability to connect with them.

He's actually a lot like Shaw. Shaw and Adams are leaders. Both aren't clean skins on and off the field. Both quite vocal.

Wow, they are almost identical twins!

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Hey Scodog10 do you know if Grundy has any leadership aspirations??

He is my pick after Treloar.

Don't know about aspirations, but I don't think he's grown much as a leader over the past 12 months anyway. It might be a good thing that he isn't involved yet because he still has a lot to improve on in his game as well, IMO. Leadership is for those that have their game completely in order so they can show the way for others.

I do also wonder whether we would have seen such a slimmed down group under LT...

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Don't know about aspirations, but I don't think he's grown much as a leader over the past 12 months anyway. It might be a good thing that he isn't involved yet because he still has a lot to improve on in his game as well, IMO. Leadership is for those that have their game completely in order so they can show the way for others.

I do also wonder whether we would have seen such a slimmed down group under LT...

Fair enough re Grundy..........from the outside he seems to be someone I would follow.

In regards to LT my guess is we would have the boot studder in the leadership group also in 2017 if it was still in place! :drunk:

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Fair enough re Grundy..........from the outside he seems to be someone I would follow.

In regards to LT my guess is we would have the boot studder in the leadership group also in 2017 if it was still in place! :drunk:

Me too, but there's enough doubts there for me to question whether he's ready. Aside from the obvious that his game still needs work he remains uncontracted which makes me very nervous with the season a week and a half away. He was surely priority number one over the off-season yet it still isn't done...

On a side note before we get the "LT doesn't work like that etc" comments we're taking the mickey over how s**t it was for our group, that's all!

Adams doesn't have anything going for him off field apart from the previous mentioned drunken and assault incidents. I don't see any leadership qualities in him. His spot really should of gone to Treloar.

Watch Adams in round one, you will see plenty of leadership. For example, when Pendles is patting guys on the bum, Adams is telling them what they need to be doing. He is easily the best option as our next captain.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Adams is nothing like Shaw.

That's just so far off the mark!

Both are prone to WTF moments (seriously what was Adams thinking kneeing Westoff?), both are lads off the field (Adams rap sheet is worse), both instruct on the field (as above), I wouldn't put either in front of a camera and both would bleed/ bled for the club.

They play different roles and have different relationships with the current coach which is about the end of their differences!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just so far off the mark!

Both are prone to WTF moments (seriously what was Adams thinking kneeing Westoff?), both are lads off the field (Adams rap sheet is worse), both instruct on the field (as above), I wouldn't put either in front of a camera and both would bleed/ bled for the club.

They play different roles and have different relationships with the current coach which is about the end of their differences!
That's mainly because Adams, despite being a lad, isn't an ADD disruption around the place and is a far more dedicated footballer on the track who sets a good example as a team man (unlike Heater in his last couple of years with us).

I love Heater and always will but he was a total disruption and liability after we won the flag.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Look at Plugger
He's slimmed down too
Wow.
Imagine if we had him in the day

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
That's mainly because Adams, despite being a lad, isn't an ADD disruption around the place and is a far more dedicated footballer on the track who sets a good example as a team man (unlike Heater in his last couple of years with us).

I love Heater and always will but he was a total disruption and liability after we won the flag.

We've had this discussion before so I won't rehash it other than to say he hasn't been a distraction up north or under MM? Perhaps it was simply that a group of people didn't know how to manage him and attempted to control rather than embrace...

FWIW I think we'd see a different attitude towards him were he to be traded back today because people have matured in their roles, IMO.

JA27

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2009
Western District
AFL Club
Collingwood
i like adams as a leader.

i rank him with our other young players coming through that show leadership qualities in treloar, grundy, scharenberg & moore

i also like that pendlebury doesnt have to spend so much time on the field keeping him under control like maxwell used to with shaw.

i pray that when we next hit the finals adams wont put himself before the team like shaw did so many times.

We've had this discussion before so I won't rehash it other than to say he hasn't been a distraction up north or under MM? Perhaps it was simply that a group of people didn't know how to manage him and attempted to control rather than embrace...

FWIW I think we'd see a different attitude towards him were he to be traded back today because people have matured in their roles, IMO.
I don't think he was a good fit for leading teams......

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Halelujah I say. The way leadership groups were going some clubs were looking at having a "leader" for every other player. Ridiculous. So I'm very happy that we've scaled it back to the minimum that's needed. It allows players to take ownership of their own role. Having just a Captain and two VCs should allow a more consistent message to get through too. From a few things I've read throughout the preseason it seems that the club has taken a more player-driven approach, something that gives each of them more responsibility for themselves and creates less of a heirarchy amongst the group.

Curious about the bolded, I'm not exactly up to date but only thing I've seen is http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-15/has-nathan-buckley-changed-enough-to-keep-his-job which gives some interesting insights consistent with your comment (including an about face from Buckley).

bucksisbest

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2002
Club Silencio
AFL Club
Collingwood
How can you base your opinion off his ability to talk at Copelands? You have to realise the leaders are put up by the players mostly and they obviously respect Steele and his football IQ and ability to connect with them.
I was basing it on a range of things, I used the
Copeland as an example because he addresses the entire club in that context. He is not a strong media performer, nor does he have a sense of authority or gravitas about him. As I also said in my other posts, on field he does not project as a leader of the club.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
If I was Treloar I'd be disappointed I wasn't named Vice over Adams.

Just skipped to the third page of this thread. Typical TG piscary. Last year I was disappointed Macaffer was in the leadership group and N Brown panned out a bad choice as they weren't good enough. However, Sidey, Adams and Pendles are there abouts A graders mature body who are best 22 locks. Asides from that like 99.9 per cent of posters on here I don't know the players personally or know their relationships they have in the inner sanctum. Did Treloar even want to be in the leadership group? Who knows. You don't, TG.

Happy with Adams in the leadership group, he's Gavin Brown courageous on the field. Probably the next captain post Pendles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back