Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Though we're likely to see this fellow running around in the AFL for another couple of seasons, I'd like to know where he is rated amongst the best players of his generation (for argument's sake, let's use players who debuted post 2000).

His CV so far:
Approaching 400 games
Collingwood Captain 9 years (2014 to 2022)
AFLCA Coaches Award best finishes: 1st (2013), 7th (2011), 9th (2012, 2015)
AFLPA MVP best finishes: 2nd (2011), 3rd (2010), 4th (2013), 6th 2014)
Brownlow Medal best finishes: Eq. 4th (2010, 2011), Eq. 6th (2013)
2010 Norm Smith Medal
5 x Collingwood Best and Fairest (14 x Top 3)
6 x All-Australian (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2019). Squad another 4 occasions.

I reckon there's a clear Top 3 since the turn of the century:
1. GAJ
2. Franklin
3. Judd

Pendlebury in the next rung, but has the potential to be considered on the same rung as Judd (and therefore ahead of the likes of Selwood, N. Riewoldt, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Hodge) depending on what else he can achieve between now and the end of his career.

I reckon there's a clear Top 3 since the turn of the century:
1. GAJ
2. Franklin
3. Judd

Pendlebury in the next rung, but has the potential to be considered on the same rung as Judd (and therefore ahead of the likes of Selwood, N. Riewoldt, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Hodge) depending on what else he can achieve between now and the end of his career.

Not at the level of the top 3 but I agree with you that he is ahead of the others listed.

No, Pendles has been great, but he’s definitely not in the next tier below the very top one. He’s in the ones below that.

Guys like Danger, Dusty, Pav, etc all have had claims to being the best player in the comp at different times. Pendles was never close to this.

He’s a pure mid. The guys picked ruck-rover, rover and centre in the AA team generally have been the 3 best mids that season. From memory he’s never been picked in the AA team on the ball (I think wing and HB?), so he’s never ever been considered one of the 3 best mids in any single season.

May not have the best highlight reel.
May not have the individual accolades.

He most certainly is the most consistently great player of his time.
I cannot remember him not having a good year.
Deserves 400 and I would have waited for him to get there, then began a thread.
Bad luck, I beat you to it!

Reckon you could just about put him on the same rung as Judd… maybe not the explosive West Coast Judd that could make the impossible look straightforward, but I can’t split Pendlebury with the Judd 2.0 we saw at Carlton.

Certainly have no problem with him being mentioned in the same breath as the other names you listed Fadge

He proves the formula if a young player stars and wins a premiership in their first couple of years they can basically cruise for the next 10+ years of their career while the commentators pump them up non stop
I think you're confusing class, balance and composure with complacency...

Pendles was never close to this.

He was in his prime.
I reckon he has regressed (naturally as you do). He is arguably the most skillful big-bodied midfielder the game has seen. Certainly a class above Martin and Dangerfield when it comes to dictating the game in the middle of the field. Dangerfield an explosive bull, Martin the outside assassin but Pendlebury will go down as one of the greats of his generation.

No, Pendles has been great, but he’s definitely not in the next tier below the very top one. He’s in the ones below that.

Guys like Danger, Dusty, Pav, etc all have had claims to being the best player in the comp at different times. Pendles was never close to this.

He’s a pure mid. The guys picked ruck-rover, rover and centre in the AA team generally have been the 3 best mids that season. From memory he’s never been picked in the AA team on the ball (I think wing and HB?), so he’s never ever been considered one of the 3 best mids in any single season.
Pendlebury never had seasons that reached Dusty or Dangers peaks, but year on year has been a better more influential player. I have never seen a more consistently elite player. He very rarely has poor games. Will break the all time disposals record this week.

On RMX3201 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, Pav should be in that list (next tier). I thought he debuted before 2000.

I've previously shared an assessment of Martin and Pendlebury's year on year performances in a different thread.

Martin has the best single season (2017), but Pendlebury has:

2 of the best 3 seasons;
3 of the best 5 seasons;
7 of the best 12 seasons;
9 of the best 15 seasons;
12 of the best 20 seasons.

There's a difference between being 'rated' the best player in the game, and performing as the best player in the game. It's too often confused.

I think Robert Harvey would be a good comparison of similar players. Just that type of immense competitor that constant gets/got the best out of themselves. Real "does the hard yards" type while other players were the "cherry on top".

Which probably slots him in that second tier under the Franklin, GAJ, prime Judd etc

Edit; made this post then closed BF and opened twitter only to see this ; they're watching, I swear

I’m
He was in his prime.
I reckon he has regressed (naturally as you do). He is arguably the most skillful big-bodied midfielder the game has seen. Certainly a class above Martin and Dangerfield when it comes to dictating the game in the middle of the field. Dangerfield an explosive bull, Martin the outside assassin but Pendlebury will go down as one of the greats of his generation.
he’s just not as damaging as either.

He extracts the footy then makes excellent decisions with high efficiency. That is a highly valuable skill set, but it’s more common than players who can win the footy, burst to the outside, kick goals and hit up teammates.

Pendles is way way down for goals and goals assists and metres gained. He’s great, but rarely a match winner. That’s why he’s the rung down. I doubt there’s be a season he’d be considered top 5 player in the comp

Unfortunately there weren't many spots left in the starting midfield of the AA team when GAJ and Judd were in their prime...

Sorry, Pav should be in that list (next tier). I thought he debuted before 2000.

I've previously shared an assessment of Martin and Pendlebury's year on year performances in a different thread.

Martin has the best single season (2017), but Pendlebury has:

2 of the best 3 seasons;
3 of the best 5 seasons;
7 of the best 12 seasons;
9 of the best 15 seasons;
12 of the best 20 seasons.

There's a difference between being 'rated' the best player in the game, and performing as the best player in the game. It's too often confused.
Hahaha
You set the criteria for the quality of a footballer do ya.
Geez…

I’m

He extracts the footy then makes excellent decisions with high efficiency. That is a highly valuable skill set, but it’s more common than players who can win the footy, burst to the outside, kick goals and hit up teammates.

Pendles is way way down for goals and goals assists and metres gained. He’s great, but rarely a match winner. That’s why he’s the rung down. I doubt there’s be a season he’d be considered top 5 player in the comp

That is just made up rubbish. He has the third most goal assists in the history of the game and averages more goal assists than Dustin Martin.

1688550613265.png

Last edited:
I’m

Please don't make this another Martin flogfest.

As the OP, I request everyone to ignore any future comments about Martin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back