Player Watch Scott Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the 2 year contract was given due to his acceptance of a lower pay eg down from $850k pa to 1.2 over 2

😂😂😂

If we’re paying a 34-35yo Scott Pendlebury $1.2m over the life of this contract whilst also trying to re-sign Moore, JDG and Maynard we might as well shut the doors!

This one must be a $300-400k base with nice incentives for B&F results which we know he won’t hit because we have to start playing him in peripheral roles.

Length is fine because he seems to have at least 30-40 games left in him and the standard he sets.

Last edited:
I don’t think this will be the great man’s final contract. Can get to 400 games and win another flag.
The ultimate fairytale is him winning another Norm Smith after handing over the captaincy to a different player (Moore is my ideal candidate) in game 400 and something. Would pretty fairly cement himself as an AFL/VFL Legend

Just on that, a few mates thought he wasn't the deserved Normie saying there were other better players on the day.
Just on that, I couldn't give two pygmies what a few of your mates thought.

My mates are special & they reckon Dawes should've got the Normie.

Just on that, a few mates thought he wasn't the deserved Normie saying there were other better players on the day.
He didn't play a Petracca absolutely standout - he must win the medal -game. But neither did anyone else - he seemed like a good choice to me.

Arnie Briedis wishes he didn’t.
Jolly would’ve been easier and also described his own disposition.

What do you think?
I think he deserved it, of course as in all games, there were other players who played well, like Daisy and Steele.
Pendles had 29 disposals and laid 11 tackles.

😂😂😂

If we’re paying a 34-35yo Scott Pendlebury $1.2m over the life of this contract whilst also trying to re-sign Moore, JDG and Maynard we might as well shut the doors!

This one must be a $300-400k base with nice incentives for B&F results which we know he won’t hit because we have to start playing him in peripheral roles.

Length is fine because he seems to have at least 30-40 games left in him and the standard he sets.

yeah, I do worry about our list management. I mean, we had Greenwood of the list for an extra year this year. Huh?

yeah, I do worry about our list management. I mean, we had Greenwood of the list for an extra year this year. Huh?

I’m torn. This time 12 months ago I’d have said that the $1.2m over 2 is a chance because the previous regime were way too brand conscious. Under GW I’m not as certain, but the fact the focus is entirely on the length not the $’s concerns me.

In terms of Greenwood I think that might have been a nod to his off field value with the number of kids we brought in. He was never providing much on field even if he didn’t suffer the concussion, IMO.

Scott has much to give in terms of experience and example both off and on the field, the key consideration is what is that worth to the club in conjunction with his playing presence on the field.
I've never seen Scott as a 'natural' leader who comes to the fore through sheer force of personality and people skills. For me Scott is reserved and dedicated but leads through example and experience.

I’m torn. This time 12 months ago I’d have said that the $1.2m over 2 is a chance because the previous regime were way too brand conscious. Under GW I’m not as certain, but the fact the focus is entirely on the length not the $’s concerns me.

In terms of Greenwood I think that might have been a nod to his off field value with the number of kids we brought in. He was never providing much on field even if he didn’t suffer the concussion, IMO.

Yeah, I get it, but considering we were shedding salary cap $, it still seems kinda crazy. Like, could that $ have helped keep Stephenson or Treloar?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles’ consistency and longevity is amazing. He’s easily outlived Marc Murphy and Daisy Thomas, from the same draft (2005), although Josh Kennedy is hanging in there (always makes me smile to think Carlton traded him). Pendles may yet outlive Joel Selwood from the 2006 draft.

Not comparing players, just stating the bleeding obvious about his staying power at the elite level. It’s dropping away, but he’s still one of our best.

Yeah, I get it, but considering we were shedding salary cap $, it still seems kinda crazy. Like, could that $ have helped keep Stephenson or Treloar?
Pendles is not only best 22, he's arguably best 5-6 on any given week. Therefore, his remuneration should be commensurate with that. Age should be a secondary factor, at best. As has been pointed out. His longevity, skill and experience, together with his leadership qualities, is first-rate. I'm sure he deserves what he is to be paid.

Pendles’ consistency and longevity is amazing. He’s easily outlived Marc Murphy and Daisy Thomas, from the same draft (2005), although Josh Kennedy is hanging in there (always makes me smile to think Carlton traded him). Pendles may yet outlive Joel Selwood from the 2006 draft.

Not comparing players, just stating the bleeding obvious about his staying power at the elite level. It’s dropping away, but he’s still one of our best.
Indeed. He was also playing at a really high level when you consider his injuries. Averaged 25 disposals over his first 9 games, and I think he injured his finger in the latter part of this time period. Then in the 4 games prior to his rib injury (I think against the Blues), but after having recovered from his finger injury, he was averaging 28 touches a game. I am still fully confident in his ability to be an elite midfielder.

Indeed. He was also playing at a really high level when you consider his injuries. Averaged 25 disposals over his first 9 games, and I think he injured his finger in the latter part of this time period. Then in the 4 games prior to his rib injury (I think against the Blues), but after having recovered from his finger injury, he was averaging 28 touches a game. I am still fully confident in his ability to be an elite midfielder.
The caveat I would raise is stats are not everything. How often was he actually beaten this year as our mids were torched more often than not? All middies rack up big stats these days.

Pendles is not only best 22, he's arguably best 5-6 on any given week. Therefore, his remuneration should be commensurate with that. Age should be a secondary factor, at best. As has been pointed out. His longevity, skill and experience, together with his leadership qualities, is first-rate. I'm sure he deserves what he is to be paid.

We were talking about Greenwood.

His time as an elite midfield is well and truly behind him, that's why the club tried to play him more in the forward line this year. He doesn't have the aura around him as he once did, still a good player but his lack of defensive pressure is a worry for someone not breaking lines anymore.

Cool, but his remuneration is determined by the market. If he had an offer from another club to get paid as a top 5-6 player he would very likely have left already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back