Rumour Scott Selwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he would be a great get and fits our age profile going forward better then Shaw but it would cost us at least a first round pick( which I would give) and maybe a Varcoe or Schroder and a swap of 2nd rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

how old is he

It would take a fair old change in philosophy for Chris Scott to deal out a silky smooth goal kicking mid for a hard at it defensive minded mid with limited leg speed. You'd think if he really desperately wanted a player like that he would have played Horlin-Smith more.

I am not sure we need another version of Joel without the goals and breakaway from stoppages. Joel is not the perfect midfielder and I think Scott would double down on the weaker aspects of his game without the brilliance.

how old is he

23yrs old - turns 24 next March.
So fits in the age group which we are missing, because as it stands, Mitch Brown is the only 23yr old we have on our list. Scott is a couple of years younger than the likes of Selwood & Varcoe, and a year older than guys like Duncan, Motlop, Bundy, Cowan, Stringer, etc.

It would take a fair old change in philosophy for Chris Scott to deal out a silky smooth goal kicking mid for a hard at it defensive minded mid with limited leg speed. You'd think if he really desperately wanted a player like that he would have played Horlin-Smith more.

I am not sure we need another version of Joel without the goals and breakaway from stoppages. Joel is not the perfect midfielder and I think Scott would double down on the weaker aspects of his game without the brilliance.

Not sure I'd use the words "silky smooth" to describe Duncan. Varcoe (when in form) is silky smooth. Duncan is more like Joel Corey than Varcoe.

Don't you think trading Kersten as opposed to Duncan would be playing a nasty game of russian roulette with our forward line? I mean, there appears to be a pretty decent chance that we've seen the best of Hawkins, I don't know what the odds are that he can fully recover but from the outside his career appears at serious risk. Pods is either gone or on the way out and Vardy's fitness/output is also still an unknown quantity. I'm not even going to float Walker and Hamling is still a way off and playing in the backline a fair bit.

We have no other short-term KPF propositions other than Kersten, he is absoultely vital IMO. At least if Duncan was the trade bait we have alternative options. Guthrie to the midfield & Thurlow/Bews as potential back pockets.

Agree, none of this will probably eventuate but I think we must retain Kersten at all costs right now.

#39 will become very very popular again this year - trust me.

Just give him a chance and he will do the rest. I have faith.

GO Catters

#39 will become very very popular again this year - trust me.

Just give him a chance and he will do the rest. I have faith.

GO Catters

My gut feeling as well Daz! That's why I was dirty on them for not playing him earlier this year. Could have been the difference vs Freo with a couple of games under his belt, because geez we lacked a lead up in that game. Or starting Chappy mind you. Wasted opportunity that one :(

23yrs old - turns 24 next March.
So fits in the age group which we are missing, because as it stands, Mitch Brown is the only 23yr old we have on our list. Scott is a couple of years younger than the likes of Selwood & Varcoe, and a year older than guys like Duncan, Motlop, Bundy, Cowan, Stringer, etc.

This cannot be understated. We don't have anywhere near enough players in that age bracket. If you want a sobering reminder look at the ages of the players on Grand Final day 2007 and then ours in the Prelim the other week. It'll improve slightly by March next year but it has to be kept firmly in mind.

We will not get better until the overall list gets younger.

76 games, a 1.88 metres (6.2 ft) tall premiership midfielder / forward, I can't help but think if we were let Mitch go the next side will quickly reap the rewards of all the hard work we have put into him. Unless Mitch wanted out, he must stay, IMHO.

76 games, a 1.88 metres (6.2 ft) tall premiership midfielder / forward, I can't help but think if we were let Mitch go the next side will quickly reap the rewards of all the hard work we have put into him. Unless Mitch wanted out, he must stay, IMHO.

One of the better kicks in the side (despite the bombing in the Hawks final). You cannot have too many players who are skilled by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are thinking of his brother.

Scott not only runs a sub 3s 20m, but is one of our fittest players. Easily has the best turn of pace of all the brothers and has pretty decent acceleration.

Duncan is supposedly a good kick, although he sure does seem to grub quite a few, and at times his delivery inside 50 can be shocking. For a relatively uncontested player as well (approx 5 contested possessions per game in 2013 out of 20 overall), his disposal efficiency is unremarkable, at 69%.

What I like about him is that he runs hard, provides good link up, can take a grab, and looks capable of becoming a more prolific goal kicker as he enters his prime. Certainly a valuable player on our list, and one in the right age bracket. I.e. someone we ought to hold on to.

If Mitch suddenly declared he wanted to go home however, and Scott Selwood demanded out of West Coast to come to Geelong, I do feel we would be getting a better player. But that's all irrelevant I suppose. I can't see it happening, for obvious reasons, and just so Rabbi and the other fun police don't get too wound up, I concede there's not much point comparing the two players any more.

Duncan is supposedly a good kick, although he sure does seem to grub quite a few, and at times his delivery inside 50 can be shocking. For a relatively uncontested player as well (approx 5 contested possessions per game in 2013 out of 20 overall), his disposal efficiency is unremarkable, at 69%.

What I like about him is that he runs hard, provides good link up, can take a grab, and looks capable of becoming a more prolific goal kicker as he enters his prime. Certainly a valuable player on our list, and one in the right age bracket. I.e. someone we ought to hold on to.

If Mitch suddenly declared he wanted to go home however, and Scott Selwood demanded out of West Coast to come to Geelong, I do feel we would be getting a better player. But that's all irrelevant I suppose. I can't see it happening, for obvious reasons, and just so Rabbi and the other fun police don't get too wound up, I concede there's not much point comparing the two players any more.

His kicking has been much poorer this year than the last few but I have no doubt it will soon be abck to its best with another preseason or two.

This Scooter thing just won't go away....

Not that WC should be worried about it but with a new coach, and some key FO people leaving, the winds of change over there a re blowing a bit harder. And where there is smoke, there is fire.

He is contracted so WC are driving this, but if he really wants out and they dont let him go, I cant see that ending well.

And they should ask for reasonable compensation for him. But reasonable is the key.

GO Catters

Top 10 in our B & F and approaching his best years. No deal!!

Ash Smith for Duncan? :p

This was tweeted by Jay Clark about two weeks ago, FWIW:

Jay Clark@ClarkyHeraldSun
And Scott Selwood not leaving West Coast. Not under any circumstance. Will become Eagles next captain.

Nice try Imach
Ash Smiths appalling skill level is only surpassed by his decision making :eek:
Source of much merriment for all opposition supporters , he must stay an Eagle !!

Selwood for Duncan would be a win win. Seriously.
He's not coming cheaply, is a quality mid and tagger, and Duncan would be a massive loss for us, but worth the deal.

Oh the pain , the pain...

But as much as I like Duncan , and I do like him , id say list balance would be better with a Selwood interchange. Duncan is probably a fraction more replaceable as long as we keep 15. Acres then would be a highly wanted.
If we got SS then someone like Adams becomes slightly less critical but still quite handy. The game is so crowded no , more inside players is better than outside players.

But its dream stuff; WC will not let him go

Quote from AFL website:

• West Coast vice captain Scott Selwood has expressed no desire to return to Victoria despite rumours.

Say this out loud 20 times. "West Coast vice captain Scott Selwood has expressed no desire to return to Victoria despite rumours".

Nice try Imach
Ash Smiths appalling skill level is only surpassed by his decision making :eek:
Source of much merriment for all opposition supporters , he must stay an Eagle !!
His skills are actually decent, it's his decision making and lack of effort that leave a lot to be desired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back