Toast Scott Thompson 300 games

Remove this Banner Ad

Were the list management team too close on a personal level to Thommo to make a professional call?

I mean Lyons over Thommo is a no brainer.
Something along those lines would be my best theory.

Given Lyons was moved on specifically due to a lack of pace on our list, retaining Thompson seems even more galling.

Wallace says that upon close viewing of his performance last week, he believes the game has finally gone past the tough midfielder.

“He was so far off the pace it was ridiculous,” the former Richmond and Western Bulldogs coach told SEN’s Before the Games.

“He’s been a great player, a great warrior of the game, but [he’s] totally gone and I think [Adelaide] have recognised that straight away.”

“Their last five weeks haven’t been great through the middle of the ground so seeing if he could come back in and give them a look through the middle, you’ve got to make that decision. But when you were there and you saw it, you just went ‘wow’.

“I don’t like saying that because I love the way he has played his football. I absolutely think he has got the best and the most out of himself.”

^ I get the feeling that Pyke didn't really want him in the side, resisting the pressure to bring in him for several weeks. He also dropped him pretty quick smart.

I only hope that Gallucci and Poholke are given preference in the future if a spot opens up.

We are idiots, with bad judgement, and the result is we leave a 300-game club stalwart to languish in the hack league for 2/3 of the year, before belatedly bringing him in to discover...s**t, he might be finished!

As usual the club finds everything out 3 million light years after an astute judge.

I feel sorry for Thompson, this is beneath him. But it's been proven time and time again - players don't mark their own cards. The club has to save players from
themselves.

We didn't, and this is the result.

You're quite right that players don't mark their own cards, but how many of those discussion are played out in the media. The great proportion of players don't go on record as stating that they want to go around again. They keep quiet and let their form do the talking and hope that they end up with an extension. If not, they gracefully retire without the industry knowing any different. But we do know. Thommo backed the club into a corner and demanded that they delist him if they didn't want him playing. Kangaroos stood firm with Boomer and made the call. We don't have the balls to do what the Roos did, but let's not forget that Thommo represents a very, very, very small percentage of footballers who actually force their club to delist them into retirement.

Nothing is beneath him and he's the last player at the club that you should feel sorry for. He was carried to 300 games and his form didn't warrant him getting there. He could have set up last week as a farewell game but he didn't. He'll still be standing under the ruckmen's hands this week and punching out 90% TOG pure stoppage time in the SANFL. And I can assure you that not a single minute of that time is about developing Wigg, Poholke or any other midfielder.

Here's a clip of Thommo looking after our junior midfielders.

If the club was serious about his coaching role, he'd be playing off a flank or out of a pocket with short instructional stints in the guts. But the fact remains that all he is doing is reducing the midfield exposure of our up and comers in his vain attempt to return to being an AFL quality footballer.

This is an entire club problem, not just the coaches and not just Thommo. You can bet your bottom dollar that the board had input into his extension. We are a piss weak club, but he knew that and maximised his chances of getting what he wanted. And what he wanted was to play last week. And play he did.

I might add that I find it completely impossible that those in charge of list management couldn't see this coming. The signs were clear for armchair enthusiasts, and to not see this would be nothing short of incompetence.

There is no doubt in my mind this was wilful ignorance. At which point you have to ask - How serious are we about winning a flag?

We choose to waste a game on a washed up player rather than giving a kid a taste who might end up being our next Goodwin or Sloane and having a meaningful impact in a finals campaign. It's our selection culture and it runs very deep. Once Campo and Clarke are gone we do actually have a hope of moving forward. But until then, we are seriously up against it. Next year both dullards will be gone, Teague will be senior assistant and I expect that we will bring in ex-players from other clubs that will bring in new ideas. I hope that both VB and Thommo are moved on from their development roles and forced to forge their coaching careers at other clubs.

We choose to waste a game on a washed up player rather than giving a kid a taste who might end up being our next Goodwin or Sloane and having a meaningful impact in a finals campaign. It's our selection culture and it runs very deep. Once Campo and Clarke are gone we do actually have a hope of moving forward. But until then, we are seriously up against it. Next year both dullards will be gone, Teague will be senior assistant and I expect that we will bring in ex-players from other clubs that will bring in new ideas. I hope that both VB and Thommo are moved on from their development roles and forced to forge their coaching careers at other clubs.
Thommo hasn't even started his development role, let alone being forced to move on from it.

He'll still be standing under the ruckmen's hands this week and punching out 90% TOG pure stoppage time in the SANFL. And I can assure you that not a single minute of that time is about developing Wigg, Poholke or any other midfielder.
Spot on!

Then he will get most possessions and tackles and people will say "see, he's our next best mid"

Simplistic, dumb thinking.

Tredrea said he moved like a 90 year old last week

No doubt it was embarrassing. What I find odd is that after about 5 weeks of being well under 25 per week average, he hits 35 and is then travelling emergency and ascended to AFL duties. No s**t, Brad Crouch came back after nearly 2 years out and less than 20 games under the belt and racks up 40 with about 60% TOG. Grigg was delisted racking up those averages week in and week out and Lyons was a give away who was ignored doing better. But a 34yo who was clearly past it last year cracks 30 after a handful of games and he's an automatic recall. Just need a week without a game to not digress from that position. How do we do that, "I've got it, let's rest someone".

Well done Campo, you're the midfield coach and there's not doubt that Thommo's selection would not have happened without your strong support. Best of luck with your desire to be a senior coach. And best of luck retaining your current job or being offered the opportunity to move sideways. Your career is over, perhaps you could find Matty Knights and see what he is doing and re-start. Because let's face it, you were never better than when you were part of the most one way midfield the game had ever seen. 7 years and you actually did nothing with our midfield.

Adios Muchacho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt it was embarrassing. What I find odd is that after about 5 weeks of being well under 25 per week average, he hits 35 and is then travelling emergency and ascended to AFL duties. No s**t, Brad Crouch came back after nearly 2 years out and less than 20 games under the belt and racks up 40 with about 60% TOG. Grigg was delisted racking up those averages week in and week out and Lyons was a give away who was ignored doing better. But a 34yo who was clearly past it last year cracks 30 after a handful of games and he's an automatic recall. Just need a week without a game to not digress from that position. How do we do that, "I've got it, let's rest someone".

Well done Campo, you're the midfield coach and there's not doubt that Thommo's selection would not have happened without your strong support. Best of luck with your desire to be a senior coach. And best of luck retaining your current job or being offered the opportunity to move sideways. Your career is over, perhaps you could find Matty Knights and see what he is doing and re-start. Because let's face it, you were never better than when you were part of the most one way midfield the game had ever seen. 7 years and you actually did nothing with our midfield.

Adios Muchacho.
Don't be so sure he's gone, this is the Adelaide Football Club.

Don't be so sure he's gone, this is the Adelaide Football Club.

He's gone. As is Clarke. They're gone, they tied their tethers to Thommo last week, they're done. Mackay has been ok the last couple of weeks but we have 3 guys nipping at him in Seed, Gooch and even Poholke. It's all ok, I'm convinced that it's happened, we can now move forward.

He's gone. As is Clarke. They're gone, they tied their tethers to Thommo last week, they're done. Mackay has been ok the last couple of weeks but we have 3 guys nipping at him in Seed, Gooch and even Poholke. It's all ok, I'm convinced that it's happened, we can now move forward.
Jeez I hope you're right, but I wouldn't be betting on it.

Yeah I rekon Campo and Clarke are done.
If we win a flag however... who knows what will happen.
It's no coincidence that we've improved like crazy after getting rid of some senior duds in our team however...

Yeah I rekon Campo and Clarke are done.
If we win a flag however... who knows what will happen.
It's no coincidence that we've improved like crazy after getting rid of some senior duds in our team however...
Well, TAFMKAwhatever reckons Roo ain't a fan of Campo and he's gone if we don't improve on last year.

Well, TAFMKAwhatever reckons Roo ain't a fan of Campo and he's gone if we don't improve on last year.
Campo seems like Sanderson was with our younger players.
You don't need coaches like that at the football club. Can see why our midfield has been deplorable for awhile, it's crazy that we're sitting on top of the ladder though.

The more I think about it, the more I think that if the selection panel are going to consider picking Scott Thompson they might as well consider picking a 180cm bollard and paint it with navy, red and yellow strips. They could send the runner out with a box trolley every 2-5 minutes to move it ..

Daniel Kerr is playing suburban football down here for different clubs, he's 34 like Thommo.
Probably more agile than Thommo too.
How he's still playing at 34 is beyond me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back